Judge takes Lynchburg man's concealed carry permit away for one year

This is a discussion on Judge takes Lynchburg man's concealed carry permit away for one year within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A man by the name of Wayne Meredith Latham, who accidentally shot himself in a public restaurant with his concealed carry pistol, has been ordered ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Judge takes Lynchburg man's concealed carry permit away for one year

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

A man by the name of Wayne Meredith Latham, who accidentally shot himself in a public restaurant with his concealed carry pistol, has been ordered by a judge to pay a $500 fine and give up his concealed carry permit for a full year. Furthermore, the judge also ordered the police to destroy the .45 caliber Glock 36 that he used to shoot himself with, instead of returning the man's gun to him, as his attorney had requested.

Like many other people who have these sort of accidental discharge incidents, this fellow was carrying his Glock 36 loose in a pocket with no holster. The gun discharged when he reached into his pants pocket to get money to pay his bill, wounding him severely in the thigh.

The prosecutor in the case argued before the court that the man had been reckless, by carrying the Glock loose in his pocket, along with a number of other items. In making his decision, the judge said that he fully agreed with the prosecutor on that point.

Latham's attorney argued for leniency, saying that the gunshot wound was punishment enough. However, Judge Edwin Burnette said that Latham had endangered the lives of others, and thus further punishment was warranted.

Did the judge come up with an appropriate punishment for this crime? Is there a moral to this story? I think that there may be more than one.

I'll certainly never understand why some folks are so lazy and careless to carry their concealed handguns in this manner.

Here is a detailed news story about this court case and shooting incident:

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2010/nov/0...est-ar-621948/

Senior Moderator
    Stupid is supposed to hurt, and sometimes "I hurt myself, so I should bear no more liability for my conduct" doesn't cover it.

I have no problem with what the judge did.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I guess I could go along with the fine and gun acquisition, but why keep him unarmed for a year...require him to have a holster.
    Are cops who shoot themselves or partners given the same treatment in some of the latest stories?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Stoopid is as stoopid does!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Furthermore, the judge also ordered the police to destroy the .45 caliber Glock 36 that he used to shoot himself with, instead of returning the man's gun to him, as his attorney had requested.
    What Virginia statutes justify the taking and destruction of a person's property in such a way?

By extension, does that mean if a person misspends his home life in some manner that ticks off a judge that the state has authority to take his house and raze it to the ground as partial punishment?

1984 ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You can't fix stupid !
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

GM
    That was not an “accidental discharge”; Mr. Wayne Meredith Latham was reckless and stupid.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I don't have a problem with the fine and loss of permit for a year.

But do they destroy the car of a drunk driver?

Kev
    <><

Lead Moderator
    Well, he's got a year to save up and get a new gun AND a good holster!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I would have taken his permit, fined him, made him take classes to learn gun safety and made him purchase a holster all before I returned his gun.
    He was stupid to carry a gun in his pocket without a holster.

I'm alright with the punishment except for the destruction of the gun.Even lock it away for the year and return it afterwards.Stupidity does need to be punished though and we have a huge responsibility while carrying a weapon.
    "You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

He pulled off a "Plaxico".

He's lucky that's all they're going to do to him - along with his medical issues. Honestly, someone that dim shouldn't be allowed a carry permit at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    A man by the name of Wayne Meredith Latham, who accidentally shot himself in a public restaurant with his concealed carry pistol, has been ordered by a judge to pay a $500 fine and give up his concealed carry permit for a full year. Furthermore, the judge also ordered the police to destroy the .45 caliber Glock 36 that he used to shoot himself with, instead of returning the man's gun to him, as his attorney had requested.

Like many other people who have these sort of accidental discharge incidents, this fellow was carrying his Glock 36 loose in a pocket with no holster. The gun discharged when he reached into his pants pocket to get money to pay his bill, wounding him severely in the thigh.

The prosecutor in the case argued before the court that the man had been reckless, by carrying the Glock loose in his pocket, along with a number of other items. In making his decision, the judge said that he fully agreed with the prosecutor on that point.

Latham's attorney argued for leniency, saying that the gunshot wound was punishment enough. However, Judge Edwin Burnette said that Latham had endangered the lives of others, and thus further punishment was warranted.

Did the judge come up with an appropriate punishment for this crime? Is there a moral to this story? I think that there may be more than one.

I'll certainly never understand why some folks are so lazy and careless to carry their concealed handguns in this manner.

Here is a detailed news story about this court case and shooting incident:

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2010/nov/0...est-ar-621948/

I have no problem with what the judge did, this was not AD...this was pure negligence and yes he may have put others in danger. not only is pocket carrying a weapon like that dangerous with no holster, but to put it in your pocket with all your other crap that you fiddle around with? he is lucky to only lose his permit for a year.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

But do they destroy the car of a drunk driver?
    they destroy street racer's cars sometimes
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

He's lucky he'll get his permit back after a year; the Court probably could've taken it with no reinstatement. Earlier reports indicated this guy was drinking beer while carrying; in clear violation of Virginia law. As for destroying the gun; I got a "boating without registration" charge dismissed after payment of Court costs. I was about to complain that I shouldn't have to pay the costs if the charge was dismissed when I realized it was cheaper to just keep my mouth shut. This guy could've gotten much worse than forfeiting his weapon.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links