Travel & carry into Rhode Island

This is a discussion on Travel & carry into Rhode Island within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, yes I should call the AG, but I thought I'd throw the feelers out here first to see if I even have a valid ...

Thread: Travel & carry into Rhode Island

Distinguished Member

Travel & carry into Rhode Island

First, yes I should call the AG, but I thought I'd throw the feelers out here first to see if I even have a valid question. Second, yes I should just apply for my RI non-res permit but I have reasons for not doing so right now.

I frequently (2-3 times a year) travel to my parents house in RI to visit. RI state law says you cannot carry a handgun in RI without a permit but there are several exceptions to that law and a couple may apply to me.

1. You are allowed to carry in your car if you possess another valid carry permit from another state and you are travelling through the state with no intention to detain yourself in RI.

2. You can carry in your own home, business or land.

What about carrying into the state to a home/property you own?

I am not a permanent resident of RI but I am trustee to my parents estate so I am technically the owner of said property. Would it be lawful for me to carry into the state on one of my other permits to my parents estate (of which I wouldn't leave until it was time for me to head back to NY).

I think not since I am "detaining" myself in RI, but my detention would be at a place where under the law I should/would be legal to carry.

I disklike making that journey across CT and RI with only pepper spray and a 3D Maglight.

2. Remove Ads

According to http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Statute...47/11-47-8.HTM you can keep it on your property.
    What town is the property in?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    According to http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Statute...47/11-47-8.HTM you can keep it on your property.
    What town is the property in?
    Tiverton.

But can I conceal carry it there? Or do I need to unload and lock it up to get it there? Which really does me no good as I'm more concerned about driving on the highway (there is a whole lot of nothing on the western stretch in RI) in the early morning/late nights. Based on this verbage I'm thinking the latter even though my destination is somewhere that would be legal for me to possess.

The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island.

Yes, I believe you would have to lock it up while traveling. The good news is that the Chief in Tiverton is good with issuing, at least to the locals. Your case is a little different since you don't live there, but you own property. Next time you are there stop by the police station (right off of Rt24 on the Fish Road exit on the east side of the highway) and pick up an application. Submit some proof that you own property there and I think you will get the permit.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    Yes, I believe you would have to lock it up while traveling. The good news is that the Chief in Tiverton is good with issuing, at least to the locals. Your case is a little different since you don't live there, but you own property. Next time you are there stop by the police station (right off of Rt24 on the Fish Road exit on the east side of the highway) and pick up an application. Submit some proof that you own property there and I think you will get the permit.
    Thanks, it's been 11 years since I lived there and I haven't kept up on the local politics as it were. I think the only proof I have is a copy of the notarized trust document, not sure if that would suffice? I'll have to stop in and ask. I know the police station well. ;) Not for bad reasons... I got a tour of it when I was an early teen in the Boy Scouts and someone brought my beagle there when he got loose and they kept him in the garage until we could pick him up. Plus I drove by it nearly every day for probably 15 years.

OK, keep us posted since I haven't heard of anyone from out of state applying to a chief since most apply to the AG. Like I said the Chief is real good when it comes to issueing to locals, so I think you have a good chance.

Distinguished Member
    Will do!

Links