Took my Nevada CCW class - Page 2

Took my Nevada CCW class

This is a discussion on Took my Nevada CCW class within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry to ask a question that would make me sound like a kill-joy, but, for the renewal prcess in NV is it the same as ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sorry to ask a question that would make me sound like a kill-joy, but, for the renewal prcess in NV is it the same as when you start out? Or do you renew by mail?
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by MaineGlock View Post
    Sorry to ask a question that would make me sound like a kill-joy, but, for the renewal prcess in NV is it the same as when you start out? Or do you renew by mail?
    65 bucks and change...Edit: it changed. Renew with training and then in person.

I checked the NV Sheriffs and Chiefs Assoc trainings standards

You must requalify in NV with all the weapons you wish to keep on your permit and take a 4 hour class no written exam.

All training must take place within the state of Nevada, and in the county in which the
    person will apply for the non resident permit. If that county does not have approved
    instructors the applicant may go to the nearest county that does. The course must be a
    minimum length of 4 hours. No certificate shall be issued until the student successfully
    completes the entire course. The course must include firearms qualification for each
    make, model and caliber of semiautomatic handgun listed on the certificate and/or
    “revolver” for any revolver on the certificate. The certificate is valid for the CCW
    application for one year from the date of successful completion of the course.
    Training must include instruction in the use of revolvers, each semiautomatic handgun to
    which the application pertains, the laws of this State relating to the use of a firearms and
    concealed carry of firearms, liability, and gun safety.
    The certificate must list each make, model and caliber of semiautomatic handgun and/or
    revolver. Revolvers do not require specific make, model or caliber to be listed. The
    certificate must state the course was 4 hours in length and the location the training
    occurred, to include classroom and range. The certificate shall have the instructor and
    student signatures and initials where appropriate.

Written Examination
    A written examination is not required for non-resident renewal.

It is such BS. every time I get a new gun or two I want to add I have to contact an instructor, pay him for the shooting qual, then resubmit the app in person with 25 bucks. nevada sucks. I am glad I live in AZ, but too close to CA and NV. Every state should honor other states permits like we do here, better yet every state should have constitutional carry like we now do here.

it's about the Benjamins

Shooting test Differs

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Some previous post were not completely accurate. From Nevada Training standards:
    Actually everyone is wrong and right. The shooting portion of the test varies from location to location. They are not standard across the state. Most do not do "the minimum".

Each store determines their own, as long as it is above the minimum. For example, the one sqawker stated is in use at The Gun Store as of today:

6 shots left, reload, 6 shots right at 3 yards (60 second limit)
    12 shots 7 yards tow handed (6 reload 6) 60 second limit
    12 shots 15 yards (6 reload 6) 60 second limit

Pass score is 70% or 252. Throwing a round is NOT disqualifying. It is your score.

Then jump over to American Shooters where they only do the 30 round test

Basically put it is who you take it from. Some are easy and some have you shoot over 100 rounds.

Soooo, if you want an easy shoot, call around. But the class may cost you. The Gun Store class is free for the first firearm. You have to buy your 36 rounds from them.

Look to SB126 to eliminate the standard of having to shoot every semi you own for the ccw. I would guess at that point class costs will go up because the leveraging of profit off semis is gone

Thank you for the thread OP. I'll be taking my NV class soon!

We are working to change the qualification requirements as well as other positive changes in this legislative session. Hopefully if AB 282 goes forward, and it is moving forward nicely, it will be qualify with one semi and one revolver only. We tried to get no qualifications required and even constitutional carry but too many anti-gun Democrats killed the bills without even holding hearings despite the gun community protests and appeals to the committee chairman. It seems we only get baby steps but we will keep after them.

Most of the other gun bills will probably die in favor of the consolidated AB282 because of politics. If interested check out Nevada Shooters. You will need to login but I keep up the politics section with updated legislative information.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    The process was simple I walked in got a number (Like the DMV), waited to be called to the window, the agent at the window reviews the application (corrected a few small mistakes), Sends you to the payment window, The payment window agent collects the $100.25 (cashiers check or money order ONLY) then sends you onto the finger printing section, They print you electronically then send you onto Photo station to have your picture taken, Photo station then send you to the final review station. Who makes sure everything's correct. The whole process took less than 20 minutes.

To my surprise the people that worked there were very friendly. I stopped the supervisor to complement the staff. They handle printing for licensing for CCW, Gaming, Day Care,ect.

Should be getting my CCW in the mail under 60 days. Fingers crossed
    It is also where felons go to register and the "club" girls go to get their Sheriffs cards. It's always entertaining. Last time I was there, someone was getting arrested for an outstanding warrant.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

I fly out on May 20th and take my class with Kurt on May 21. Going down to LVMPD on Monday and fly back on Tuesday.

Anyone know if he does discounts for active duty military? I'd give him a call...but...you know I only get 2 a week and I'd rather talk to my wife and kid. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Unkind213 View Post
    Anyone know if he does discounts for active duty military? I'd give him a call...but...you know I only get 2 a week and I'd rather talk to my wife and kid. :)
    He is a member here. You can send him a PM. You can also find him on Nevada Shooters. I'm not sure about discounts. If you don't get him via PM, let me know here and I will get a message to him.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

You actually have to shoot/qualify in order to pass the class? Makes sense I guess, but we don't have to do that in Colorado. 4 hours of class time and you get a signed document to supply with your application for permit and it's good for 5 years regardless of your choice of weapon.
    Ruger: SR9, SR9C
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

We have to shoot to qualify in Ohio, but at least we don't have the nonsense of having to shoot each gun you want to carry!! Once you have your CHL, you can carry whatever handgun you want. Sounds like NV is just trying to increase the $$$ in the coffers.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    It is such BS. every time I get a new gun or two I want to add I have to contact an instructor, pay him for the shooting qual, then resubmit the app in person with 25 bucks. nevada sucks. I am glad I live in AZ, but too close to CA and NV. Every state should honor other states permits like we do here, better yet every state should have constitutional carry like we now do here.
    Not any more
    Nevada Passes Concealed Carry Reform

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links