Took my Nevada CCW class

This is a discussion on Took my Nevada CCW class within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I flew out to Vegas to attend the Sema show as I do every year. I came out a day early in order to get ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Took my Nevada CCW class

Took my Nevada CCW class

I flew out to Vegas to attend the Sema show as I do every year. I came out a day early in order to get my Nevada CCW training. I had spoken to Kurt back in June about an incident flying out of JFK. The PA officer did not know Nevada law and thought I was doing something Illegal. He was wrong. We arranged to meet. I met with Kurt Gepke at his home and we went over the Nevada Carry Laws, it was an all day class. It was well worth the time and money to attend. Kurt is very knowledgeable. It is taught in a relaxed setting in a smooth flow and not in a boring chapter and verse style.

http://www.teamdigit.com/About_Us.html

After attending the classroom portion we went to the range. It was 5 minutes from his home. http://www.americanshooters.com/

To qualify to carry a revolver on your CCW License. You can use ANY revolver to take the shooting portion. I used Kurt's Hammerless Smith and Wesson .38

You need to shoot 5 shots at 3 yards.
    Then shoot 10 shots at 5 yards.
    Then shoot 20 shots at 7 yards.

onto the Semi-Autos

You need to qualify with each Semi-auto that you will have listed on your CCW License. You can only carry what is listed your permit.

You need to shoot 6 shots at 3 yards.
    Then shoot 10 shots at 5 yards.
    Then shoot 10 shots at 7 yards.

You have to submit the application the next day.

The process was simple I walked in got a number (Like the DMV), waited to be called to the window, the agent at the window reviews the application (corrected a few small mistakes), Sends you to the payment window, The payment window agent collects the $100.25 (cashiers check or money order ONLY) then sends you onto the finger printing section, They print you electronically then send you onto Photo station to have your picture taken, Photo station then send you to the final review station. Who makes sure everything's correct. The whole process took less than 20 minutes.

To my surprise the people that worked there were very friendly. I stopped the supervisor to complement the staff. They handle printing for licensing for CCW, Gaming, Day Care,ect.

Should be getting my CCW in the mail under 60 days. Fingers crossed

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for posting your experience. Ever since NV dropped reciprocity with UT last year I've been considering getting a NV permit. It pains me to take the class and spend that much money just to pick up one state, but I do travel through there quite a bit

How many states make you qualify with the gun you are going to carry? In Missouri, the shooting part of the training is probably the easiest anywhere. Hit a silouhette target 15 out of 20 shoots at 7 yards. Most classes provide firearms, 22 semi & revolver. You can use your own if you want, but if it is included in the cost of the course (most are) why burn another $25 in ammo when you have already paid for it? Too bad MO doesn't have a non-resident permit. The MO permit is good in 37 states (38 in January when Iowa starts shall issue).

I think you have one year after the class to apply. Not next day. I took my class from Kurt last year and I didn't go down to Metro to apply for several days after that.

Sounds like the process is about the same in Clark County as it is in Washoe County. The only difference that stood out to me was that in Washoe County they'll let you pay with a personal check rather than requiring a cashier's check or money order.

I got my out of state permit in two weeks. Great turn around time.

I applied the next day only because I was there to attend the SEMA show that ran thru Friday. For the people who do not know what SEMA is it is the Meca,Holy land of everything that is made for vehicles.

They accepted my Business check. I do not think they accepted personal checks, I may be wrong.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Unless Nevada has changed the qualification requirements, with semi-autos, you shoot 6 shots at 3 yards with each hand. At least, that's the way it was 4 years ago when I took the class.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    Unless Nevada has changed the qualification requirements, with semi-autos, you shoot 6 shots at 3 yards with each hand. At least, that's the way it was 4 years ago when I took the class.
    The state mandated qualification takes 30 rounds for each gun.

You must score 70% at the following distances from the target...

3 yards - 6 rounds must hit target

5 yards - 12 rounds must hit target

7 yards - 12 rounds must hit target

If you shoot anywhere outside of the target area, it is an immediate disqualification.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

sfo
    took my class @ American Shooter in Henderson several years ago. it was an all day class and qualified at the end. went to the station off of 215 and Decatur to apply and got my permit within 2 weeks. i've heard of people waiting well over a month here. mine was fast.

Thank you for the info/experience. I am taking mine on Satruday (the 20th) very excited to finly get it done!
    Life is a game of chance, be prepared to throw down when its time to dance. If your young, enjoy it cuz your youth is gold and never waste time every single day you grow old. written is a page in the book for you, with hard times and bad luck to see what you will do.

Some previous post were not completely accurate. From Nevada Training standards:

A total of 30 rounds for 6 shot or larger capacity and 25 rounds for 5 shot capacity must be fired. Firearms with less than a 5 shot capacity will have to be reloaded at each stage to comply with the 5 shot capacity standards. A minimum score of 70% is required to pass, and shall be indicated on the certificate as “Pass/Fail” only. A humanoid style target such as the B27, B21 or FBI Q shall be used.

6 Shot Capacity Course
    3 yards 6 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip
    5 yards 12 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip
    7 yards 12 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip

5 Shot Capacity Course
    3 yards 5 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip
    5 yards 10 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip
    7 yards 10 rounds No time limit Freestyle stance and grip

That seems like a bunch of 'toro feces' to have to qualify with EACH gun you might want to carry. Pretty expensive way to eliminate an armed defense for the average citizen.
    If one can pass the test with a Glock-36, what is the purpose of having to shoot the Glock-30?
    I'm curious, what is the requirement for dirtbags to carry different weapons?
    Mmmmm, NV, another state I won't be visiting anytime in the near future. That WILL help me save my money from both the one-armed bandits and the two-armed bandits.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

More gun rentals for qual=more dollars in NV pockets
    Rental gun ammo=more dollars in NV pockets
    In state NV instructor=more dollars in NV pockets
    permit fee=more dollars in NV pockets

I guess it's about money, like most stuff in NV. I'm ok with it. I have friends there and want to carry. I do agree tha requiring qual for each caliber of a particular model is unnecessary as long as the MOA is the same.

I hauled my 2 Glocks out there and rented a Kimber TLE from the range because I wanted all my pistols on my permit. My instructor lent me his snubbie for the revolver qual.

If you calculate air fare, class fees, permit fee and range rental, it definitely wasn't one of my cheaper permits !

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    The state mandated qualification takes 30 rounds for each gun.

You must score 70% at the following distances from the target...

3 yards - 6 rounds must hit target

5 yards - 12 rounds must hit target

7 yards - 12 rounds must hit target

If you shoot anywhere outside of the target area, it is an immediate disqualification.
    There obviously been changes since I took mine. As I said, we had to shoot both right and left handed at the 3 yard stage, and each stage was timed, needing to be completed within 1 minute. Also, the targets were scored as to shot placement, not simply hitting the target. I'm happy to see things loosened up a bit. I would still like to see the requirement to qualify with each weapon when using semiautos eliminated. It doesn't make much sense, as Retsup99 said, to need to shoot a Glock 30 when you've already qualified with the 36. Especially when you can qualify with a 22 cal revolver and be good to go with any revolver.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links