CCW'ing in another's residence

This is a discussion on CCW'ing in another's residence within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Say you're going with a group of friends to another friend's place for a visit. No one knows you carry. You're not sure how your ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW'ing in another's residence

CCW'ing in another's residence

Say you're going with a group of friends to another friend's place for a visit. No one knows you carry. You're not sure how your CCW lifestyle would be received in the eyes of the home owner.

What do you do?

My solution last night was to leave the heavier duty guns at home and IWB the P32. The "logic" was no one could possibly a) spot this pistol on me & b) take this pistol very seriously. c) Carrying it IWB avoids covering others while sitting who may not approve of the gun in the first place.

I don't stand by this "logic". That was just the best I could come up with on short notice. I'd love to hear other's thoughts on this.

I feel conflicted about carrying in someone's home who may not approve. Definitely conflicted about talking over being a legally armed citizen to every person who's home I'm ever going to enter. However I'm also conflicted about leaving guns in parked cars. Last but not least I'm VERY conflicted about leaving the house without a gun.

My head hurts..

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A touchy issue with no one definitive answer. You are in someone's house and subject to their rules. If you know your friends well, you should have an idea of how they feel toward guns in general. Then it becomes a question of how courteous are you (letting them know in advance) or playing the "no harm - no foul" game by being mum.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If they don't know you carry. Have not expressed prior concern about you carrying, I would do as you did. Small, very easy to conceal, practically impossible to notice gun, keep it concealed and keep mouth shut. They didn't say you couldn't. Don't know you have it. What they don't know won't hurt them. You have not broken any laws because they have not told you not to carry.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I would carry my weapon and keep it concealed. If by some chance I was outed and someone said something to the tune of "You've got a gun??" I would calmly reply "Yes, I always carry and don't think to much about it" and then go from there. I would not ask "Would it be OK if I wore my gun to poker night?".
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    If they don't know you carry. Have not expressed prior concern about you carrying, I would do as you did. Small, very easy to conceal, practically impossible to notice gun, keep it concealed and keep mouth shut. They didn't say you couldn't. Don't know you have it. What they don't know won't hurt them. You have not broken any laws because they have not told you not to carry.
    ...exactly how I operate
    There ya go........

VIP Member
    Survival is not polite.

*Please Note - If this were a question regarding Open Carry I would answer differently.

Concealed is concealed. I usually am pretty casual about concealment, but in your situation I would be a little more careful and discreet with my CC.

In your situation I would have carried. If I must use my gun, I am not going to worry about being polite or worrying about others gun phobias. Me and mine are going to survive if it is at all within my power.

Now, if I knew ahead of time that the home owner was against it, I would have to re-evaluate the necessity of the visit vs. going unarmed. I go unarmed through the majority of my day for work, so I am not manic about it like some, but when I am able to carry, I resent any restriction. PFZ's and posted businesses do not usually get my business. I cannot see myself visiting the home of someone I know is so anti as to ban my right to self defense, so this is not a very likely scenario for me.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

My "friends" trust my judgement, others I don't go to their house or on that rare occasion do as the OP.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I would carry my weapon and keep it concealed. If by some chance I was outed and someone said something to the tune of "You've got a gun??" I would calmly reply "Yes, I always carry and don't think to much about it" and then go from there. I would not ask "Would it be OK if I wore my gun to poker night?".
    My thoughts exactly !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

If it is MY friend and they have expressed that I should not carry in their house I am probably not going to be in their house very often. It would have to be a very special day for me to go (I would leave the weapon locked in the car.
    Outside of that I would not change anything.
    I would carry whatever pistol I felt like carrying. If someone asked I would not lie. If they asked that I remove it, I would leave with it still on my hip. If it were my Wife's friends I would go (for her) and forget that I had it on a few times till they stopped asking or my Wife stopped asking me to go to their house.

None of this is because "I have a right" or "who will protect me if I don't" It is mostly because I do not generally do what others demand that I do. If they could convince me that it would be better at that time to not have it on me (Somehow??) with a genuine argument then I might disarm. But people with Knee-jerk reactions have little affect on me.

Sled

If the state laws allow it then I carry unannounced unless it's known before hand the owner doesn't approve then it's not carried.

Don't forget that some states REQUIRE the owners permission to carry on their property such as South Carolina.

South Carolina Statute
    "No person who holds a permit issued pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 may carry a concealable weapon into the residence or dwelling place of another person without the express permission of the owner or person in legal control or possession, as appropriate.

I preffer to open carry, but I always switch to concealed carry at friends homes. I still carry my XD, but in an IWB holster. I've never had an issue. If anyone ever noticed, they didn't tell me.
    In the Marine Corps I carried one of the standard Beretta M9 service pistols in a traditional duty holster. Now it's a 1911 in a SuperTuck. I'm glad for the upgrade.

I would talk to the home owner ahead of time. Don't care what the other guests think. If the home owner is ok with my carrying, good. If not, I don't spend time there. Simple.

Edit for more detail. For me...it's not about legal/illegal. It's about respect. Especially for a home where children reside.

Simply put...I carry and am pro 2a all day. Come to my house? I expect the common courtesy of being told. My kids are around? I ask that you don't carry loaded. Kids away? I don't care one bit. I try to keep kids, mine and others, safe at all costs...even at the expensive of someone getting a little butt hurt.

I extend the same courtesy to other parents & homeowners.

As a guest....I will not disarm for anyone. I would leave. But they, as the owner of the residence, have a right to know what is coming and going from their house.

I don't tell anybody anything. If they have told me before hand I would choose not to go. If they haven't then I am not saying a word.

For me, I carry everyday, everywhere. It's part of my daily routine. I carry my gun the way most people carry a cell phone. By that I mean, I don't give it any thought whatsoever. I carry concealed and I don't announce everywhere I go that I'm carrying a gun. I go into many peoples private homes all the time and the only way anyone would know I had a gun would be if I told them. It's concealed, it's never popped out of it's holster and went bang, and no one has ever spotted it.

I can't believe there's any states who would require such as stupid thing as letting everyone know you have a gun before going into their house, but there are a couple of them. Stupidest thing I've heard. So be sure you don't live in one of those silly states and go about your business like it's no big deal.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Don't ask. Don't tell

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links