New twist on ban sign

This is a discussion on New twist on ban sign within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had to take my wife to a hospital in a neighboring town for an outpatient procedure today. I dropped her off at the door ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New twist on ban sign

New twist on ban sign

I had to take my wife to a hospital in a neighboring town for an outpatient procedure today. I dropped her off at the door and looked for signage, which I saw. So I had to lock my carry piece in the car.

I wish I would have taken a pic (I always forget my phone is also a camera). It said (and I'm paraphrasing):

"Weapons of any kind are prohibited at xx hospital and will be confiscated if detected."

I've seen a variety of no weapons signs before, but I believe this is the first one that I've seen that actually says that they will be confiscated. I didn't ask about it but I wish I had. Does that mean they confiscate it and do not return it? Do they return it upon your departure? Do they turn it over to police? I do not believe that they have a right to take my property and keep it. I believe in Virginia the most they can do is ask you to leave and if you do not you can be found guilty of tresspassing.

This is a different issue from being taken to the ER and you have your CCW. I know the standard procedure for that. This was an outpatient registration and public entrance not an ER entrance.

Anyway, I thought this was an interesting twist that I hadn't seen before.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not going to give my loaded gun to anyone who isn't a cop.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

That's a great idea (not).

1. Take a gun out of the safest place it can be (in a holster, with a person trained to keep it safe)
    2. Give it to a person who may or may not know how to handle it (how do you know?)
    3. Watch them shoot someone in the foot (hopefully not yours)

If they are going to pitch a fit about someone making their hospital safer, better to have the owner take it out and lock it in the car.

Confiscating is a bad idea on many levels. Someone is not thinking clearly...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Actually makes sense in my opinion. Guns are not allowed in the Hospital. If the gun arrived in the ER, security (in the hospital I work for, police) come take the gun with other belongings and hold until you are released as a patient.

If you enter willingly with a gun, security come, take the gun in the same manner they do if it arrived via the ER. It is held until you leave.

I agree. I locked mine in the car before I went in since I saw the sign when I dropped my wife off. I don't see how they could enforce the confiscation thing on non-patients visiting or waiting. From a legal perspective, I believe the only thing they can do is ask you to leave and not come back unless you are unarmed and if you refuse they can call the police and even then the most it would be is a simple tresspass.

People can order peel and stick letters and put whatever they want on the door...it doesn't necessarily mean they have the authority to actually do it. It wouldn't be smart of them to attempt a confiscation from someone either. Tell them to leave and if they don't, call police.

Quote Originally Posted by cudexter View Post
    Actually makes sense in my opinion. Guns are not allowed in the Hospital. If the gun arrived in the ER, security (in the hospital I work for, police) come take the gun with other belongings and hold until you are released as a patient.

If you enter willingly with a gun, security come, take the gun in the same manner they do if it arrived via the ER. It is held until you leave.
    Patient belongings (ER and inpatient) are itemized on a special envelope and locked in a safe until you are discharged. That is standard procedure regardless of the contents (unless it is illegal contents like drugs, then police are called). This was a public entrance.

I'll take it out and lock it in my vehicle. Ain't no hospital security gettin' their mitts on my weapon.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Patient belongings (ER and inpatient) are itemized on a special envelope and locked in a safe until you are discharged. That is standard procedure regardless of the contents (unless it is illegal contents like drugs, then police are called). This was a public entrance.
    Yes and the same envelopes are used and locked in the same safe should a visitor enter with a firearm. The other option to leave it in your vehicle.

VIP Member
    Some administrator is simply following the model set for him by his 2nd grade teacher. "Children, if you bring that
    bubble gum to class one more time I'm going to take it away and you'll never see it again."

Human nature and it is human stupidity. They will do what the law allows them and nothing more. Unfortunately, it will take a hard earned lesson for them to figure out that what the 2nd grade teacher told them doesn't apply in the adult world.

Think past "gun" to other weapons, like knives. Even if your pocket folder falls below your state's definition of "dangerous weapon" or similar, the hospital's nanny-state view is that it is still a weapon subject to confiscation. The same could be said about pepper spray or tasers or, taken to an extreme, a rolled-up newspaper.

My point is that I think they are not singling out firearms, but rather are reaching broadly to say "we can do what we damn well please."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I hate to say it but it's their property and they have the right to not allow guns, just like I have the right not to allow anyone or anything I don't want on my property. If however, by my own carelessness I am discovered, I will voluntarily leave. Unless they decide to dog pile on Thumper, I ain't giving them my weapon either!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by cudexter View Post
    Yes and the same envelopes are used and locked in the same safe should a visitor enter with a firearm. The other option to leave it in your vehicle.
    It is their property and they have the right to post and ban weapons. No question about that. They do not have the right to confiscate your weapon. Realistically, they're not going to attempt to take a weapon away from a visitor. They might ask, but the visitor is not obligated to relinquish their weapon to them. They are only obligated by law to leave or face police action for trespass. It's just ridiculous to put something on the door that they aren't prepared to (or given legal authority to) actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Realistically, they're not going to attempt to take a weapon away from a visitor. They might ask, but the visitor is not obligated to relinquish their weapon to them. They are only obligated by law to leave or face police action for trespass. It's just ridiculous to put something on the door that they aren't prepared to (or given legal authority to) actually do.
    Spot on. They're just hoping that the word "confiscate" will motivate you to leave the gun outside.

PM
    If you attempt to take my property; I would suggest showing me a LEO commission card. In other words prove to me you are an LEO not a rent a jerk I mean cop; no offense intended to those who work security but if you ain't a cop do not act like one. I once saw a guy I went to school with at the local hospital work as a brinks guard no way I would hand that guy my loaded gun; I know about his chemical usage while we were in highschool --- I would fear his brain cell count. I would have looked at him and said Timmy call your Daddy (who was a local LEO also a scary thought as was about half of the loacl PD at then time)!!

VIP Member
    Wouldn't it be nice if they went the extra mile though and provided gun lockers!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links