My girlfriend asked a question I can't answer

This is a discussion on My girlfriend asked a question I can't answer within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd stop asking questions, buy the bag Bark'n recommends, get some training for the GF (if she doesn't already have some) and send her off ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My girlfriend asked a question I can't answer

I'd stop asking questions, buy the bag Bark'n recommends, get some training for the GF (if she doesn't already have some) and send her off to practice w/ some peace of mind.
    Then again, I'm in Arizona.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    I'm leaning a little more toward the official route of discussing this with the directors and storing it in the office but then, as has been mentioned here before, one never knows what a discussion like that is going to bring about.
    It would be great if everyone were understanding and the idea of an on-field lock-box of sorts would be seen as a good thing. But you're almost certainly going to find a few anti-gunners in the crowd who will be appalled that guns are "promoted" at the field. Horse puckey, of course, but you're correct in worrying about the response.

If seriously concerned over items being taken but asking permission by "the powers" doesn't seem like it'll have a good result, perhaps consider non-firearm defensive tools ... ie, stun gun, pepper spray, collapsible baton, etc. It can be stored in a heavy-duty knapsack or daypack that's locked to the fencing during practices on the field, with a lock that quickly opens with a key. That way, the bag and items aren't likely going anywhere, yet they're out on the field where she can access them immediately following practices and games.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Have you ever looked at a Remora holster? I just got one after reading a post on a forum. They say it can be worn inside an elastic waistband during vigorous physical exercise without moving.

A trigger lock doesn't secure against against theft or prying eyes and most can be easily picked.

Question for you. You say she has recently joined an athletic league. What is that a gym? What kind of activity will she be doing?
    If so, I carry at the gym using a SmartCarry holster since the place has no signs prohibiting firearms. It is comfortable and gives me no problems on the bikes or treadmills.
    Would I store it off my person...absolutely not. As far as discussing it with the directors about storing it in the office, again no. 1st because concealed carry should be just that...concealed. Disclosure usually invites denial to bring it on to the premises. 2nd she is responsible for that firearm. gun
    Unless she will be carrying a large frame gun she should be ok. If she carries something like an LCP or Bodyguard that's perfect.

I suggest the SmartCarry, too. There are ways to exercise while remaining armed...

Or she could do what I do when I think of exercising; I just lie down for a minute and it passes
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Fanny pack anyone?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    The space is a non-public, rented warehouse. Seems good to go as far as I'm concerned. The grey area is that it's not a private residence and not a business. I guess you could call it a "workspace".
    If it's not owned by some level of government then it's private property (whether owned by an individual or corporation) and thus your state's private property laws apply. Since it's not a school, bar or church (the most common types of private property where firearms are often prohibited by law) then your state law probably treats it no differently than carrying into someone's home.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

There's no legal reason why she can't carry at her gym, according to all of the reading I've done. At least from your description of the facility. The nice thing about living in Washington is how clear and open our carry laws are.

Oh, and count me as another vote for Smart Carry, I have one, and I bought mine for walking to and from the gym at night.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I'd stop asking questions, buy the bag Bark'n recommends, get some training for the GF (if she doesn't already have some) and send her off to practice w/ some peace of mind.
    Then again, I'm in Arizona.
    Exactly....

Discussing your GF's method of personal protection is NOT subject for discussion or debate by ANY management or other person if it is within the scope of the law.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I forgot about the PacSafe that Bark'n recommended. I used one when I took a trip overseas, and it was great. I could secure my bag to a bolted down park bench, light pole, or other study and immoveable object and not have to worry about my possesions. They are worth the money, IMO.

Biker

Thanks guys for all your thoughts & input. After much research, discussion, this thread, etc. the solution will most likely be a PacSafe bag or something similar and mum's the word. Sounds sketchy but it's a fair setup there. Secure site, trustworthy, supportive & responsible company. Safety will not be an issue at the space and she's no spring chicken with a gun. Smart chick and a fine shooter.

I apologize for the lack of details I've given. At this moment I'm appreciative of the anonymity. I'll just be glad to have her armed. It's been a long time coming.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

What does she do with her purse, cell phone, keys, etc. Is there the possibility that a friend who drove their car to the practice site would allow her to store her gym bag in their locked car during practice.

Unless she likes to work out in tight clothing, yet another vote for a smaller gun with the Smartcarry so she can keep it on her person.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Carry it! It is better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links