The Post Office and The Law

This is a discussion on The Post Office and The Law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am having some work done on my 3913. Because there are only "parts" the gunsmith assured me that I could use standard mail directly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Post Office and The Law

Distinguished Member

I am having some work done on my 3913. Because there are only "parts" the gunsmith assured me that I could use standard mail directly to him with an enclosure of his FFL and my driver's license copy.
    Now, two questions:
    1. Is this correct? (too late, for now, but for the future)
    2. This got me to thinking. I have sold a number of firearms and sent them through my FFL, of course. We all know it ain't cheap by a long shot. If I were to send them Priority Mail in two or three separate parts would this be legal? I have a strong feeling it isn't as we would all get around the steep fees. I know you can mail "uppers" but not "lowers" on black rifles.
    Lastly, and please take this the right way, I would like absolute correct answers, not just opinions or thoughts. Opinions and thoughts could get me a monster fine and lose my CCW. Even a link to the ATF or USPS would be helpful. I get lost in the legalese. Thanks!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Uppers are not firearms. The receiver with the serial number is the firearm. For that you can only ship registered carrier like UPS or fedex when it comes to HANDGUNS. Rifles can go any carrier if declared as such. Only an FFL can ship a handgun via USPS. Handguns need to go fedex/ups

postal service regs
    http://www.cgwgun.com/shipping/usps.aspx

Distinguished Member
    So, If I am having some smithing done on a frame it has to go through an FFL? No, wait, the slide has the serial number. Arrrgghhhh.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I don't know what a 3913 is or what parts you shipped, but I will try to answer anyway.
    The receiver is the gun, and have to be shipped in compliance with Federal law if you ship across state line. Other parts can be shipped regular mail. That's why AR15 uppers can be shipped, but not AR15 lowers (serial umber is on the lower receiver).
    You can ship yourself via FedEx and UPS to a FFL in another state, but it has to be shipped overnight or next day I believe, which is even more expensive.

I don't know about shipping firearms within a state since I live in RI and it's not really applicable...

Distinguished Member
    Good question. I did mail within the state (two hours apart). I do know about UPS and FedEx. Boy, do I know.

You can mail the slide if it can be removed from the receiver. My Glock 34 slide and barrel also has a serial number, which I think matches the receiver/frame, but that doesn't matter since manufacturers are not required to put the serial number on these parts.
    The frame is typically called the receiver, but it sounds like you are referring to the slide as the frame...
    This is from USPS website:
    Definitions:
    http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm#ep290111

Mailability:
    http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Responsibility:
    http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_010.htm

I have sent a few "frames only" to a particular gunsmith through the mail and he sends back the same. No slide and no barrel to me makes no gun no matter where the serial number is.

Until the ATF intercepts it then your no weapon defense will fall on deaf ears. With these new terrorist bomb attempts they are going to be screening cargo more. Be careful

I've always wondered about this, but from the air travel point of view. What if four terrorist each had parts of a gun or identical parts of several guns? Could they fool security that way? I hope not.

And I hope I didn't give them any ideas, either.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    I have sent a few "frames only" to a particular gunsmith through the mail and he sends back the same. No slide and no barrel to me makes no gun no matter where the serial number is.
    I assume you mean "receivers only", so you and your gunsmith have been in violation.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    I've always wondered about this, but from the air travel point of view. What if four terrorist each had parts of a gun or identical parts of several guns? Could they fool security that way? I hope not.

And I hope I didn't give them any ideas, either.
    Yes, they 'could' fool security, but it is still illegal to bring a receiver on a plane even if it doesn't have any of the other parts with it. Handgun receivers are pretty easy to identify. Ammo is illegal to carry to, it must be checked.

Receivers are the key to the puzzle. Don't mail those and you are in the clear.

Sponsor
    If you don't have an FFL, stay away from the Post Office, use Fedex or UPS ( It'll cost you about $40 though).
    I danced that tango before, and it doesn't matter well it's going or how many times the arms manufacturer or dealer tells you to describe them as "machine parts", is not their arse they are going to haul to jail, for a weapons violation. Be safe.

You can have Fedex pick the gun parts at your door, schedule it, you'll have to disclose thru the phone the contents and the FFL or manufacturer you are delivering too, as well as the address should be exact,

And just as you think you've done everything perfectly, this can happen:
    I had a postal worker deliver a gun to my door and left it there, for hours until I got home, it didn't mater that the package needed signing.
    Then at a later occasion, he did the same almost just this time he literally crammed the box with the gun inside my mailbox, so tightly, I had to come out with a box knife and perform "surgery" to exact the contents (a gun) and at the same time swiftly drop it inside a box my wife was deftly handing to protect the neighbors from such sight.
    The fact that I complained the first time didn't make a difference; after the second time this happened we followed the guy and found him smoking a joint in the vehicle before returning to deliver the rest of the mail.
    Needles to say, this guy doesn't deliver mail anymore.
    Go with the glow

As I understand it, a stripped lower receiver for an AR and the frame of a handgun are both considered a "firearm".

Barrels, parts, slides, etc, are machined parts, but are NOT a firearm. I hope that clears it up. I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I'm just a guy that has shipped a few handguns to various 'smiths around the country for custom work.

Depending upon what I'm shipping, and to whom it is going, will determine if it goes by postal service or some other carrier. I find it easiest to use a local FFL for firearms who is very reasonable in his shipping charges. He doesn't try to make a profit on the shipping, as many are want to do. He covers his cost, and that's it.

Biker

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    As I understand it, a stripped lower receiver for an AR and the frame of a handgun are both considered a "firearm".

Barrels, parts, slides, etc, are machined parts, but are NOT a firearm. I hope that clears it up. I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I'm just a guy that has shipped a few handguns to various 'smiths around the country for custom work.

Depending upon what I'm shipping, and to whom it is going, will determine if it goes by postal service or some other carrier. I find it easiest to use a local FFL for firearms who is very reasonable in his shipping charges. He doesn't try to make a profit on the shipping, as many are want to do. He covers his cost, and that's it.

Biker
    That's good medicine! I do have an FFL who will take my pre-stamped Priority Box plus his fee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links