Transferring CCW/CPL to another state - FL/TX/AL/TN? (switching residency) Question!

This is a discussion on Transferring CCW/CPL to another state - FL/TX/AL/TN? (switching residency) Question! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KSCarry Correct. I'm fairly well versed. My point being that in this particular case the right of individual states to differ on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transferring CCW/CPL to another state - FL/TX/AL/TN? (switching residency) Question!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KSCarry View Post
    Correct. I'm fairly well versed. My point being that in this particular case the right of individual states to differ on the issuance/enforcement of this particular topic creates difficulty for the OP in this particular situation. No intention to hijack the thread here, but this forum has had the "why no national permit discussion before."
    Okay, start a new topic and I will add my two cents. Call it: Why no national permit or something similar.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

Just as sort of related to the OP, is there then a period where he is not "valid" anywhere?
    That is certainly a possibility, and should be guarded against. Again, it is dependent upon the laws of each state.

I've read thru this post several times...but I can't see where my post shows confusion. It might be there and i'm just not seeing it because I typed it...please help me see it so i don't give incorrect info....

but a few points about your post...

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I think you are confusing specific States firearms permit requirements with reciprocity between States. There are several states, MO, AZ, TX, NM, CA, etc. that require you to be a resident of the state in order to obtain that State's permit. Those states have reciprocity with various other States. Reciprocity is an agreement between two State AG's whereby they both agree that the state they are granting reciprocity with meets or exceeds that of the other state.
    AZ and TX do in fact issue to non-residents.

Some states such as Florida, Utah, grant non-resident permits. In Missouri where I live for example, we have reciprocity with 37 other states and every state that issues permits is granted reciprocity in Missouri.

In order to obtain an non-resident permit for Florida or Utah in Missouri, you need only find an NRA certified instructor that holds classes for those States. There are several instructors who do this regularly.
    for a UT permit you need to take a UT certified class....a NRA class will not work for that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I've read thru this post several times...but I can't see where my post shows confusion. It might be there and i'm just not seeing it because I typed it...please help me see it so i don't give incorrect info....

but a few points about your post...
    Your quote,
    MI is also a state that only honors resident license (CO, FL, ME, MI, and NH)
    The clarification I was making to your statement is that these states do honor several other states permits by reciprocity.

AZ and TX do in fact issue to non-residents.
    You are correct AZ does issue to AZ residents OR any US citizen. That may be new since July? At any rate, the class must be by an AZ certified instructor. I don't know if any instructors hold class out of state although they might if AZ DPS approves. Otherwise you would need to attend the training in AZ. AZ does allow for other types of training in lieu of the standard 8 hour class. AZ will sometimes allow a permit from another state to be transfered.

TX may allow for a non resident permit but the required training is only given in TX. TX also requires 4 hour renewal certification that is only in TX.

for a UT permit you need to take a UT certified class....a NRA class will not work for that.[/QUOTE]

It is basically the same thing, but you are right about UT. The reason why most non-resident permits are obtained from Florida or Utah is because they have reciprocity with the largest number of states and they are relatively easy to obtain.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by faliaphoto View Post
    I am currently a legal Michigan resident and have a Michigan concealed carry permit.. I am soon seriously considering switching my residency to perhaps either Florida or Texas (or Alabama or Tennessee), but I know Florida, in particular, only recognizes a CPL if the holder is a resident of the state that issued it. Therefore, if I become a Florida resident, I'm assuming that my MI CPL then won't work in Florida because I will no longer be a MI resident. Does anyone know if I have to totally reapply and go thru everything again (training, background check, fingerprints, ......) to switch residency to any of these 4 states and get that state's CPL, OR if I can just transfer my current CPL to that state when I become a resident? Sorry if this is worded confusingly. lol. I appreciate any input!
    There is an exception in the Florida law that allows Florida to recognize a non-resident license from another state when the license holder establishes residence in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Statutes 790.01(3)
    If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by registering to vote, or making a statement of domicile pursuant to section 222.17, Florida Statutes, or filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence. This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm license holders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.
    You still have to go through Florida's CWFL application process, but it is usually quick and painless, and the current wait times are well under 90 days. One thing that helps speed your application along is making an appointment at the closest regional office and submitting your application in person. You go to the office, they do your livescan prints, take your picture, and you fill out the application electronically.

Another option for Florida would be applying for the CWFL before you move. There is no "non-resident" Florida CWFL. You could obtain a CWFL while living in your current state. All you'd need to do when you moved is give the Div. of Licensing your new address. You don't even have to get a new card (the new CWFLs don't have your address on them).

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Your quote,

The clarification I was making to your statement is that these states do honor several other states permits by reciprocity.
    Gotchya...i should have said those 6 states only honor resident permits of the states that have reciprocity with. Yes?

You are correct AZ does issue to AZ residents OR any US citizen. That may be new since July? At any rate, the class must be by an AZ certified instructor. I don't know if any instructors hold class out of state although they might if AZ DPS approves. Otherwise you would need to attend the training in AZ. AZ does allow for other types of training in lieu of the standard 8 hour class. AZ will sometimes allow a permit from another state to be transfered.
    In July, when Constitutional Carry came into effect, AZ added many more options for training. Training no longer has to be done in the borders of AZ. Any NRA class will work. I received the AZ permit with an NRA Basic class I took in PA.

It is basically the same thing, but you are right about UT. The reason why most non-resident permits are obtained from Florida or Utah is because they have reciprocity with the largest number of states and they are relatively easy to obtain.
    AZ has almost identical recip as FL....and it's cheaper to get too.

OUCH!! You guys are making my head hurt. lol
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Gotchya...i should have said those 6 states only honor resident permits of the states that have reciprocity with. Yes?

In July, when Constitutional Carry came into effect, AZ added many more options for training. Training no longer has to be done in the borders of AZ. Any NRA class will work. I received the AZ permit with an NRA Basic class I took in PA.

AZ has almost identical recip as FL....and it's cheaper to get too.
    Yes, all is correct. I have had my CCW since 2007. Missouri dramatically changed its concealed carry permit process to a CCW Endorsement. MO waited, I guess to see what other progressive states were doing. By waiting, MO ended up with what I think are fair and gun friendly firearms statutes. Before 2007, most here would obtain Florida or Utah training and permits. Now, AZ with Jan Brewer and its gun friendly approach, it sounds like they have also stepped up to the plate.

Thanks for your information.
    - Zen Saying

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links