Transferring CCW/CPL to another state - FL/TX/AL/TN? (switching residency) Question!

This is a discussion on Transferring CCW/CPL to another state - FL/TX/AL/TN? (switching residency) Question! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently a legal Michigan resident and have a Michigan concealed carry permit.. I am soon seriously considering switching my residency to perhaps either ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transferring CCW/CPL to another state - FL/TX/AL/TN? (switching residency) Question!

Transferring CCW/CPL to another state - FL/TX/AL/TN? (switching residency) Question!

I am currently a legal Michigan resident and have a Michigan concealed carry permit.. I am soon seriously considering switching my residency to perhaps either Florida or Texas (or Alabama or Tennessee), but I know Florida, in particular, only recognizes a CPL if the holder is a resident of the state that issued it. Therefore, if I become a Florida resident, I'm assuming that my MI CPL then won't work in Florida because I will no longer be a MI resident. Does anyone know if I have to totally reapply and go thru everything again (training, background check, fingerprints, ......) to switch residency to any of these 4 states and get that state's CPL, OR if I can just transfer my current CPL to that state when I become a resident? Sorry if this is worded confusingly. lol. I appreciate any input!

2. Remove Ads

I am unaware of any states that convert CPL's.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Each states' laws are unique to that state, you must therefore comply with the laws in the state in which you establish residency as well as having complied in the state in which you were previously a resident. There is no "easy" way to answer you, however, there are several excellent resources you can use to make these determinations. Generally I would suggest that licenses or permits do not "transfer" between states though. You must generally apply for and receive a license or permit in each specific state.

Here are some resources:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Default.aspx#;

http://handgunlaw.us/

Good luck.

You'll need to apply for a FL permit from scratch.(Actually called Concealed Weapon or Firearm License)
    The course is only a couple of hours OR you can use proof of an NRA course OR proof of military service.
    The turn around now is only a few weeks.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

thanks everybody, I will check out the links

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    In Tennessee, you'll have do the same process as anybody else.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Just as sort of related to the OP, is there then a period where he is not "valid" anywhere? That is, once he switches residency, his MI permit is no longer valid, but he cannot apply for his FL permit until he gets FL residency, correct? So isn't there some sort of "lag" time where he is completely unprotected, during which time the FL resident app processes?

Perhaps the thing to do would be to see about a non resident permit before the move and converting that to a resident permit after the move.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Perhaps the thing to do would be to see about a non resident permit before the move and converting that to a resident permit after the move.
    This.

The training you used to obtain your MI license can be used to obtain a FL license. Apply for FL now...it will cover you in ANY of the states you have listed....once you pick your destination state, then apply for that state's license. MI is also a state that only honors resident license (CO, FL, ME, MI, and NH)

Here is a site that will really answer your questions.
    See the two maps in the upper left corner of the site for complete info to everything you have asked about.
    http://www.usacarry.com/
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You all are such a helpful bunch

This is the unfortunate side of states rights. Different rules for nearly everyone. Don't get me wrong, lots of good stuff from states rights too, but lots of hoops to jump through in a situation like this. As others have mentioned, USA carry isna great resource, as is handgunlaw.us

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    This.

The training you used to obtain your MI license can be used to obtain a FL license. Apply for FL now...it will cover you in ANY of the states you have listed....once you pick your destination state, then apply for that state's license. MI is also a state that only honors resident license (CO, FL, ME, MI, and NH)
    I think you are confusing specific States firearms permit requirements with reciprocity between States. There are several states, MO, AZ, TX, NM, CA, etc. that require you to be a resident of the state in order to obtain that State's permit. Those states have reciprocity with various other States. Reciprocity is an agreement between two State AG's whereby they both agree that the state they are granting reciprocity with meets or exceeds that of the other state.

Some states such as Florida, Utah, grant non-resident permits. In Missouri where I live for example, we have reciprocity with 37 other states and every state that issues permits is granted reciprocity in Missouri.

In order to obtain an non-resident permit for Florida or Utah in Missouri, you need only find an NRA certified instructor that holds classes for those States. There are several instructors who do this regularly.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KSCarry View Post
    This is the unfortunate side of states rights. Different rules for nearly everyone. Don't get me wrong, lots of good stuff from states rights too, but lots of hoops to jump through in a situation like this. As others have mentioned, USA carry isna great resource, as is handgunlaw.us
    States had their sovereign rights before the US Constitution was signed. In fact, it wasn't until the second draft of the US Constitution before the amendments were attached. Most of the founding fathers thought it to be unnecessary since each State already had their own Constitution.

Sorry, back to topic...
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    States had their sovereign rights before the US Constitution was signed. In fact, it wasn't until the second draft of the US Constitution before the amendments were attached. Most of the founding fathers thought it to be unnecessary since each State already had their own Constitution.

Sorry, back to topic...

Correct. I'm fairly well versed. My point being that in this particular case the right of individual states to differ on the issuance/enforcement of this particular topic creates difficulty for the OP in this particular situation. No intention to hijack the thread here, but this forum has had the "why no national permit discussion before."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links