Some times..... just accept it .... (age) semi-rant

This is a discussion on Some times..... just accept it .... (age) semi-rant within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm older now. I also have had arthritis all of my life, but limited. However, I'm having more effects due to it now. Some days, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some times..... just accept it .... (age) semi-rant

Some times..... just accept it .... (age) semi-rant

I'm older now. I also have had arthritis all of my life, but limited. However, I'm having more effects due to it now. Some days, my hands are tight, stiff, and not that flexible, so carrying a revolver & reloading would be much more effective than any semi. A semi would be difficult to operate quickly if there were a malfunction in those circumstances. Other times, when I'm not doing certain types of work my hands are fine and I would have no problem with any semi . Most people think I'm about 15 + yrs younger than I actually am.

However, what really gets old is..... hearing people .... why are you carrying a revolver, a semi is so much better..... . Listen bud, go climb a tree and shut up, I don't need to explain things to you today. I get this particularly when checking on guns at the gun shop from the idiotic salesmen.

When age hits, your carry of the day... may depend upon how functional various parts of your body may be. Best to use the one's that are best for you to operate and that you can function the most effectively with. Some of the younger folks.... just holding back on their opinions which they are so convinced are based upon nothing but the best wisdom in the world, and their apparent exasperating need for explanations to things that are really none of their business ....... would really help.

Maybe we should send some of them back to their parents until they relearn the lesson about 'respect' , and the difference between a lot of useless knowledge if common sense is not also applied, vs. wisdom.

<rant off>
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Don't ya know? Everyone is an expert except for you.

My favorite is when they can't back their stories up with experience, But their (buddy who is a cop/soldier/CIA agent) agrees with them.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Good rant. I can relate to the arthritis, being born with JRA. I actually taught myself to shoot lefty because of the pain in my right thumb joint.

As for others nit-picking what you carry...hell with 'em. We all carry what we choose to, for whatever reason. Should be no one else's concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Best to use the one's that are best for you to operate and that you can function the most effectively with.
    That's the primary goal for me at all times. Was, 20yrs ago. Is now. Simple wisdom.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Age has it's positives and negatives...that's life.
    I care very little about the opinions of others on many issues. I am still willing to listen and learn, but I'm pretty careful about separating the facts from BS.
    My mind still knows what I want to do, it's just the the body doesn't always get the brain's messages...sometimes delivery is slow.
    When I bend down to pick something up, I now consider what else I can do while I'm down there...gotta' save the energy.

Use the gun that works for YOU...what others think doesn't matter much.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Eagleks,

I do understand where you are coming from sir, as I'm there myself.

I'm an old fart in aches and pains, but still somewhat young in biological age. Shooting and weapon usage is a journey, as is life. The platform that works best for us today may not always be what will work best for us in the future, or what worked best for us in the past.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    My mind still knows what I want to do, it's just the the body doesn't always get the brain's messages.
    Oh, the body gets the message alright.

It's just that the answer is increasingly along the lines of "You wanna do whaaaaAAAAT!???"
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I must be prematurely old.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Just imagine what & where we'd be if we only did what others told us we should do.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

It's no fun to get old and you know your there when they start replacing body parts (two new knees) with the same metal your 357 is made from.

Eagleks, thank you for that rant. Same thing I've been goin thru. Got alot of damage to my body that's service related, and some from careless living. Could not agree more on all points.
    This post has made my day, knowing there are others out there that can relate. Thanks

I know what you mean on all accounts. I could see me in such a conversation:

Young punk sales guy, "Why are you carrying a revolver, old man, semis are so much better!"
    Old guy, "Why did God give you two ears and only one mouth yet you seem to do a lot more talking than you do listening!"
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

That's a good on BugDude. It may be satisfying to step into a range and clean his clock with your old revolver against his modern wonder gun too.

3D
    +2 Eagleks

Two arthritic hands and wrists that is. . . appreciate where you're comin' from. I've been very reluctant 'to just accept it' as your post mentions, but it always lets me know where my limits (and pain thresholds) are.

I acknowledge you for not letting it keep you from carrying to defend yourself.

When "some of the younger folks" make one of those incredibly naive comments I just tell them that "old age isn't for sissies__you'll see, if you ever make it__"!
    Last edited by 3D; November 10th, 2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: grammar
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

3D
    Wow!! I didn't realize I was in such good company!
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links