Moving, weird question.

This is a discussion on Moving, weird question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hopefully you guys can help me. I live in Indiana and will more than likely be moving to Wisconsin. I would like to know if ...

Thread: Moving, weird question.

Moving, weird question.

Hopefully you guys can help me. I live in Indiana and will more than likely be moving to Wisconsin. I would like to know if once I move to WI, will I be able to give the Indiana State Police my new address (as I would have to if I moved within the state) and retain my lifetime Handgun Permit for Indiana? I really don't want to lose my right to carry here when I come home for visits and such.

2. Remove Ads

That could be tricky...as IN does not issue to non residents.

IC 35-47-2-3

IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure

(i) If a person who holds a valid license to carry a handgun issued under this chapter:
    (1) changes the person's name;
    (2) changes the person's address; or
    (3) experiences a change, including an arrest or a conviction, that may affect the person's status as a proper person (as defined in IC 35-47-1-7) or otherwise disqualify the person from holding a license;
    the person shall, not later than thirty (30) days after the date of a change described under subdivision (3), and not later than sixty (60) days after the date of the change described under subdivision (1) or (2), notify the superintendent, in writing, of the event described under subdivision (3) or, in the case of a change under subdivision (1) or (2), the person's new name or new address.

And since Wisconsin generally follows the Illinois model, your certainly not going to get one there, so no reciprocy

VIP Member
    Your Indiana permit will I believe need to be forfeited once you apply foe a WI Driver License. WI does not issue permits to carry concealed. WI also does not honor any other states permits. I think your best bet will be to obtain a non-resident CCW permit from Florida or Utah. It would be wise to do this in Indiana before you relocate. The Florida or Utah non-resident permit won't be honored in WI but it will allow you to carry in 30 some other states. You of course can not carry while driving through IL either.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Your Indiana permit will I believe need to be forfeited once you apply foe a WI Driver License. WI does not issue permits to carry concealed. WI also does not honor any other states permits. I think your best bet will be to obtain a non-resident CCW permit from Florida or Utah. It would be wise to do this in Indiana before you relocate. The Florida or Utah non-resident permit won't be honored in WI but it will allow you to carry in 30 some other states. You of course can not carry while driving through IL either.
    Or you can get AZ...it's cheaper than FL with almost identical reciprocity.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Or you can get AZ...it's cheaper than FL with almost identical reciprocity.
    That won't work. You need to be a resident of AZ to obtain an AZ CCW permit. The 8 hours of training also needs to be in AZ from an AZ certified Instructor.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I would make it a 'temporary' move , and keep an address in Indiana...make sure it's on your driver's license.
    This may only be a temporary cure.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think FL or AZ is your best bet. As a native of Wisconsin, it pains me to say the legislature has yet to see the light.

Quote Originally Posted by KSCarry View Post
    I think FL or AZ is your best bet. As a native of Wisconsin, it pains me to say the legislature has yet to see the light.
    Legislature has, it's the lame duck Gov. that's been the issue. I'd call up the IN State Police and anonymously ask your question as considering moving, they should be able to get you something more definitive.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by KSCarry View Post
    +1!

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    That won't work. You need to be a resident of AZ to obtain an AZ CCW permit. The 8 hours of training also needs to be in AZ from an AZ certified Instructor.
    Actually no; you could until recently get an AZ permit if you were a resident OR a citizen of the US, but had to have approved training in AZ. With recent change in law, still need to be AZ resident or US citizen, but for training there are many more options, see: http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm. Pretty much the same as FL.

Links