Indiana CCW for Life - Page 2

Indiana CCW for Life

This is a discussion on Indiana CCW for Life within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glocksmygun An endoresment would be awsome. Coming from an LEO background everytime I come in contact with someone I am always wondering ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indiana CCW for Life

Quote Originally Posted by glocksmygun
    An endoresment would be awsome. Coming from an LEO background everytime I come in contact with someone I am always wondering if they have a permit or are armed. (not everyone is honest) If when we run there DL for a status check then we would know each and every time.
    I must disagree. The Indiana BMV can't get their computers to work or process people in a timely manner - why would I trust them with my endorsement? They are the absolute worst government organization in Indiana. Period. And, an increasingly complex license is going to only raise permit costs.

This also only lends itself to the vilification and increased suspicion of valid permit holders when they otherwise wouldn't be treated any differently. (From my vantage point, this is somewhat like how NY puts your permit on your criminal record.)

OD*
    The Indiana BMV can't get their computers to work or process people in a timely manner
    That maybe the case at your branch, I recently titled, plated, etc., a new vehicle at the Auburn branch, it took 8 minutes.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Yet again I have to agree with OD. I just renewed my plates in Anderson of all places and had no problem. It all depends on what time of day you go. If you look at endoresments from a LEO point of view it is all about safety to them and you not about if you are a criminal or not. If a LEO is talking to someone and the officer sees a gun or they go for something in their pocket and they see a gun there is a good chance of the subject getting a gun pulled on them depending on the officer. I know of a couple different officers that are more than happy to pull a gun on someone when ever they get a chance. (which I do not agree with).

What state do you guys live in?

The BMV just got through firing a bunch of idiots for mismanagement in the past few years. Remember all the branches that were closed down to streamline their bloated operations? And, every branch in the state was down last week for a day when they upgraded their computer systems.

Now, I certainly think they are improving but there is a ways to go.

BTW - The vast majority of permit holders happily let LEO's know they are carrying.

How does information about how law-abiding a citizen is along side a rap sheet help? So, they pull up a permit holder's CLEAN rap sheet AND see that he also underwent a fingerprinted, police-run background check for a month? If the LEO wasn't worried when they saw the clean rap sheet, are they then going to be worried that the citizen also underwent an extensive, finger-printed background check as well?

That's almost like being concerned when you pull over another LEO / FBI agent, etc.

I'm sorry, but the whole premise (identifying individuals who may shoot you) to having a CCW flag is logically flawed. That money would be better spent on something that would actually identify criminals.

I've had an Indiana permit going on 15 years now. Any time there is a reason to pull me over(drunk checkpoint, possible vechile match, etc.) I have stated that I am armed and have a permit. Never once has any state, city, or sheriffs officer ever been nervous with my actions.

I take my hands off the wheel when they ask me to present my Identification(most times they are completely cool with just send me OMW after I tell them I have one (although there was one time in Michigan but that's another story).

Personally I understand that a 2nd amendment right should not require a permit but just having one and the ability to present it to a LEO is 90% of the reason they don't freak out.

As for a lifetime permit I would be glad for it. If you are criminally convicted you have to surrender your permit anyway. If you don't that's another crime (and they do check when they need to). The only thing the I'm worried about is the price.

The state is $15 and county varies but is usually around $20. If a Life time permit is say $500 or $1000 that would bar most people from getting one. Who's to say 5-10 years down the road they decide that they really wanted more money and repeal the D*** thing?

look at Mitch Daniels selling off highways for short term gain. Sure we get money now but no matter how you look at it the state looses money (a great deal of $$) in the long run.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra
    ....too bad we can't go back to the old west days where people weren't freaked out at the sight of a gun and almost everyone carried a gun without having to pay the gov't to do it
    Actually, there were PLENTY of cities in the 'old west days' where guns were banned... the only people carrying guns were the bad guys and the authorities.. sound familiar?

'Cowboys/Ranch Hands' carried guns, but were required to remove them when coming into town.. something that wasn't always done.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rebaths
    Actually, there were PLENTY of cities in the 'old west days' where guns were banned... the only people carrying guns were the bad guys and the authorities.. sound familiar?

'Cowboys/Ranch Hands' carried guns, but were required to remove them when coming into town.. something that wasn't always done.
    and there were plenty of towns that didn't care either
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links