Indiana CCW for Life

Indiana CCW for Life

This is a discussion on Indiana CCW for Life within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Link to story http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...78/1006/NEWS01 It appears the state of Indiana is taking steps in the right direction. Maybe this will start a new wave of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Indiana CCW for Life

Link to story http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...78/1006/NEWS01

It appears the state of Indiana is taking steps in the right direction. Maybe this will start a new wave of precident, although I'm not holding my breath. Baby steps are better than none though.

Another interesting fact on Indiana, they honor all out of state permits.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    I'm not convinced that a lifetime permit is a good thing just yet.
    I think a periodic check on a holder's firearms proficiency, training/updates on state laws (that can change at least every two years) would need to be in place.
    Then the system would have to be able to control permit holders that have commited some sort of offense preventing them from carrying (hopefully thats in place now for the renewable permits).
    I know the percentage of permit holders that commit these types of offenses is very small, but it is something to consider.
    Last edited by 64zebra; July 6th, 2006 at 08:07 PM.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Indiana doesn't require training courses, qualification, etc. You simply get fingerprinted & undergo the background check. The only down-side is that some states (namely Ohio) won't recognize your permit.

Assistant Administrator
    I would expect, even with a lifetime permit, that just like with fixed-term issues - if the holder transgresses then it will show up on ''the system'' and they will be caught out anyways.

As for state laws etc - in truth it is the responsibility of us all to stay updated on those deals IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I would hope that everyone would keep up with changes to state laws but I'm afraid that just doesn't happen often enough

....too bad we can't go back to the old west days where people weren't freaked out at the sight of a gun and almost everyone carried a gun without having to pay the gov't to do it
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I would expect, even with a lifetime permit, that just like with fixed-term issues - if the holder transgresses then it will show up on ''the system'' and they will be caught out anyways.

As for state laws etc - in truth it is the responsibility of us all to stay updated on those deals IMO.
    +1

The other kicker to it is you can't "ungrade" until 180 days prior to your current permit expiring. I have to wait until Nov of '08 to apply for my lifetime

Of course, truth be told, we shouldn't even HAVE to have 'permits'
    Last edited by jwkimber45; July 8th, 2006 at 09:52 AM.
    OPE Prostaff
    www.outdoorproductexchange.com

Sitting Ducks Ltd. Prostaff
    http://www.sittingducks-ltd.com/

OD*
    Of course, truth be told, we should even HAVE to have 'permits'
    AMEN!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra
    I would hope that everyone would keep up with changes to state laws but I'm afraid that just doesn't happen often enough

....too bad we can't go back to the old west days where people weren't freaked out at the sight of a gun and almost everyone carried a gun without having to pay the gov't to do it
    First you say people should be required to renew so they can keep up their training and knowledge of the laws, then you say it should be like the old west where anybody could strap on a gun without needing a license.

You won't get this country back to the old west carry style in one big jump. We have to take it in baby steps. Going from a license that's good for a few years at a time to a license that's good for a lifetime is a good step in that direction.

VIP Member
    no,
    I didn't say they should be required to renew necessarily,
    I said they should have a periodic check, we could have lifetime permits and still have checks performed, in other words no fee every 4 years to the state like here in texas but still have a take a test on the laws. This will help our cause by having people tested on knowing the laws.
    This will help ensure that CHL holders know the laws and the anti-chl legislatures might go along with it.
    However, I think it will all come down to money. I think if the state sees that they will not bring in as much money with lifetime vs 4 year renewables over the same time period it will not happen.

and yeah, it would be nice to go back to the old west, but thats not gonna happen these days with the all the anti-2A, anti-CHLs, and in our society

...and Welcome to Combat Carry Texas Patriot
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

OD*
    I have to disagree, if we just go along with periodic testing and don't fight it, we are reaffirming their belief the 2nd. is a Govt. privilege (like driving) and not a right. Nothing we do will ever appease the anti's, it never has yet.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD I fully agree with your comment above. I do believe however that Indiana does need to update the look and design of our permits. Right now they are just a pink peice of paper. I believe that they should be like a DL and have pictures of the owner.

OD*
    We pretty much agree sir, I wish CCW was an endorsement on our DLs, like MC.
    I have my pinky laminated.

An endoresment would be awsome. Coming from an LEO background everytime I come in contact with someone I am always wondering if they have a permit or are armed. (not everyone is honest) If when we run there DL for a status check then we would know each and every time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    I have to disagree, if we just go along with periodic testing and don't fight it, we are reaffirming their belief the 2nd. is a Govt. privilege (like driving) and not a right. Nothing we do will ever appease the anti's, it never has yet.

I understand what you're saying, believe me I do, but I'm talking about a realistic approach to a state legislature, not what all of us think and hold dearly to our hearts. I'm referring to what it would take little by little to get things our way.
    It will take a step by step process in most cases and I don't see most just going to lifetime permits all of a sudden.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

OD*
    I understand what you're saying sir.

Personally, I think working towards lifetime permits is moving in the wrong direction, we should be putting our energies into convincing these morons the 2nd Amendment means exactly what it says. We should work toward no permits to carry, Alaska did it recently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links