Got made tonight

This is a discussion on Got made tonight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With a friendly group of folks - mixed friends & acquaintances. I'm talking with a buddy of mine, backed turned to the room, and another ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got made tonight

Got made tonight

With a friendly group of folks - mixed friends & acquaintances. I'm talking with a buddy of mine, backed turned to the room, and another buddy comes up behind me to catch my attention and say hi and pats my on my high waist EXACTLY at 3:00.. I turn to catch that awkward moment in his eyes and he says, "Oops, sorry to hit your uh.. *big* gun there buddy haha.. (*sarcasm* a .38 snubby)"

I'm thinking, What in the world am I supposed to say now??..

He says, "Hey, wasn't that you that took so-and-so shooting a few weeks back? .. Ya - I used to carry, etc.. but my wife, etc.. Where do you shoot, etc.? Etc, etc."

I've had some anxiety about this group of people finding out I'm carrying and of all the people to have made me, this was the right guy to have found me out. Still, I'm thinking I need to scrape up a good pocket holster for the J-Frame for close quarters like this.

Tell you what tho - this has dispelled some senseless anxiety over being found out, doing something I'm legally entitled to do.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

2. Remove Ads

Life goes on.

Ya gotta be able to roll with things.

Suggest you all go shooting and maybe the conversation can cover not outting loudly a friend that carries.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    Tell you what tho - this has dispelled some senseless anxiety over being found out, doing something I'm legally entitled to do.
    Your last sentence is the most important part of the story. It is also why I don't sweat it.

I do my best to remain concealed at all times. Why? Because the person I absolutely don't want to know are the criminals. (I don't want to give up my "hole card" should I ever become a target of violent crime).

I would prefer the anti-gun hoplophobes not know it merely to avoid their inane hassling, but in the end, it is something I am legally entitled to do, and if I'm made by some inconsequential person, I really couldn't care less about it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sensless anxiety...best way to put it. Glad all went well.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    I've had some anxiety about this group of people finding out...
    Well now that anxiety is over...move on.
    So they know, not a big deal. Perhaps (and I'll wager it's true) you now stir up come conversation and get some converts to the SD/HD world.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    Something similar happened to me for a while ago; the difference was that because of the circumstances I had to tell them that I legally carried a firearm. Be glad that it happened to you too, because it will make your life so much easier
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Is it just me, or are others wondering about why you allowed someone to "pat" your weapon without a response from you of a somewhat more physical nature?

Given that this was not a situation where you were not dealing with a nefarious individual, perhaps the broken bones or arterial bleed would be too much, but I think a somewhat "low key" but physical response would've been in order. Something as simple as an arm dropping to protect the weapon, and trapping the offending arm, as you turn. Then you can smile at the other person and say something like, "How are you?"

You are wearing a gun. It is your responsibility to maintain CONTROL of that gun. By allowing another person to physically touch your gun, you relinquish some measure of control of your weapon. Misdirection, body positioning, and various other means can allow you to maintain your control of your weapon.

I was at a party and someone started to comment on me, and always wearing a gun. I happened to have two of them on me, but denied having any, and showed them one of my knives in a non-threatening manner and saying something like, "All I have today is my knife." I did this while turning and deflecting their hands in a gentle manner as they were attempting to lift my cover shirt. If they had proceeded to continue with their "probing" and wandering hands my response would've elevated as needed but, I WILL MAINTAIN CONTROL OF MY WEAPON!

Take care and stay safe,

Biker

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    lighten up francis....he did maintain control of his weapon...every time a fly lights on you self defense isnt the order of the day....

its generally not a big deal when people find out...sometimes i think many spend too much time worrying about it and end up with a startle reflex and nothing to say when it does happen...

I guess you missed the part about gentle manner and when I "showed" him the knife it was never out of it's sheath.

While I agree with you that:

sometimes i think many spend too much time worrying about it and end up with a startle reflex and nothing to say when it does happen...
    I think there lies a deeper issue, and that is someone that has not fully considered the possibilities of carrying a weapon, or keeping control of it. I guess misdirection and body positioning, as well as deflecting, were lost on you, huh Mary?

My name isn't francis, but I guess your's is Mary.

Biker

I was a a small get together at a friend's house recently when his girlfriend's son (maybe 7 yrs old) put his head down and rammed into my side when I wasn't looking. He hit the ground and had a very surprised look on his face. He said "Ouch, that really hurt" and I replied "Yeah, don't do that again." I guess I didn't really "get made" because he didn't realize it was a gun that he hit.

Something similar happened to me one night at a large private party (out of 100+ people, I was probably the only one not drinking). I was bending over shooting pool and had my Slim 9mm IWB at 3:00. A female co-worker came over and grabbed me from behind with her hands dead on 3:00 and 9:00 to drag me to the dance floor. As I straightened up she leaned in and said something quietly in my ear that was rather humorously suggestive in reference to my firearm. To this day, she's never said another thing about it. I appreciated her sense of humor and being discrete about it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I completely agree with BikeRN, it is your responsibility to maintain control of your carry gun. What if that had not been his "buddy" that made him and had different intentions when approaching about his new found information.
    NO ONE touches my holstered gun without consequences, and no one should touch yours either.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the guy approached and pated him on the side like a friend would...it just so happened there was a concealed and holstered gun there...it was an innocent bump in a non-threatening situation....not a near violent encounter....

some of you guys are wound a little tight...try meditaion or less caffeine for gods sake...

Another reason I prefer appendix carry. I'm married to the only person who will grab me in that general vicinity!
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

I think the OP could possibly have been more SA and not been touched, but the reaction he had was probably spot on considering he was among friends.
    BUT
    As to what BikerRN said, if somebody walked over and was attempting to PROVE I was carrying, they would receive just a little more force to stop them than what they were using to expose me. Not because I fear being made, but as he said they should not lay hands on me or especially my weapon without my permission. If they went too far, I would respond violently if needed. Afterward when everyone was looking at me for what they perceive as over reacting I would calmly explain that I was only protecting them by not allowing an untrained person to tough my weapon.
    No, many would not understand my actions, but as

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links