Great Loop (Circle Eastern US on a boat)

This is a discussion on Great Loop (Circle Eastern US on a boat) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am beginning my plans for my goal of the Great Loop (circling eastern US) in my boat. I have tried to figure out what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Loop (Circle Eastern US on a boat)

Great Loop (Circle Eastern US on a boat)

I am beginning my plans for my goal of the Great Loop (circling eastern US) in my boat. I have tried to figure out what to do in the "anti" states, but can't find a good answer.

Most of the rules/regs seem to be written to lock the guns/mags/ammo in the trunk. Naturally, my boat doesn't have a "trunk". My guess is that trunks were selected since they are generally inaccessible while driving.

Yeah, I know there are always lots of hiding holes on a boat, but I would like to try to remain legal.

Any ideas? Regulations/laws that might help out a boater? (I do have a FL CWP)

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by StevePVB; November 12th, 2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Add CWP info

2. Remove Ads

Hmmm this is interesting. Not your everyday concept to circle the Eastern U.S. in a boat. So obviously you'll be going up or down the Atlantic coastline, and taking rivers down through the states. I hope you've got it all planned out so you don't run into any snaffoos with low water levels, locks/dams, etc. Keep us posted on your trip and good luck.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Off the top of my head I would say the first thing is check with the Coast Guard and find out if there are any special regulations they have that you need to be aware of. If you are living on the boat while you do this the boat may be considered your home much like a motor home is in some states.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I used to live on the ICW in VA.....I'm very jealous of your upcoming voyage! Have a good trip. Be extra compliant in MD...very tough gun laws.
    Russell
    XD9
    XD9SC
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

Lead Moderator
    How big is the boat, and is it going to be your "residence" while on the trip? That could make a big difference.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

NYS is BBAADD!!!!! They don't NOT like guns. Let me rephrase, it's mostly near bloomburgville, aka NYC. The rest of New York shouldn't be too bad, but you are going to have to be very careful in some areas. The Coasties can help some, but when you're in state waters, state law applies.

Register and spend the $20 to join Boatered www.boatered.com/ and you can get a world of help and advice from people who have done the trip and people who live along the way. The $20 gets you into the Not Boating related forum where there are some great discussions and lots of very knowledgeable people.
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling out of their holster . . .
    and never put it all together.

This aint legal advise,but Id stick with "dont ask, dont tell".
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Administrator
    Don't quote me or rely on this, but I remember reading somewhere that in navigable waters, you can poo on state law.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    The United States Power and Sail Squadron might have some resources/knowledge that would help you?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Don't quote me or rely on this, but I remember reading somewhere that in navigable waters, you can poo on state law.
    That will allow you free room and board courtesy of the state. Lakes, rivers and the ICW are really no different than highways when it comes to that type of regulation. You must follow fed, state and local law or spend some quality time and cash defending your right not to.
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling out of their holster . . .

call the coast guard 100%. they may be federal but at least once you get an answer it will be concrete and correct.

and if you are planning on taking the canal that cuts off the cape in mass. be weary of buzzards stew/chop. (pea soup fog and 6' chop.)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Glasstream15 View Post
    That will allow you free room and board courtesy of the state. Lakes, rivers and the ICW are really no different than highways when it comes to that type of regulation. You must follow fed, state and local law or spend some quality time and cash defending your right not to.
    I can't dispute this either; I just don't know. I'm only recalling some vague memory of what I read in the past. Most defiantly do your own research and ask those who know.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have known some who lived on boats and traveled everywhere. When in unfriendly waters of NY, for example, you are subject to the gun laws while in port, just as if your had a home there. Be very careful.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All I can tell you for sure is, around NYC they are VERY unfriendly, especially to transients in boats. Dot every i and cross every T and then pray. And, if you don't think local law has plenty of jurisdiction, bust a manatee zone in Florida.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Glasstream15 View Post
    All I can tell you for sure is, around NYC they are VERY unfriendly, especially to transients in boats. Dot every i and cross every T and then pray. And, if you don't think local law has plenty of jurisdiction, bust a manatee zone in Florida.
    You can always run a Jolly Roger up the mast and give them a one finger salute as you pass on by.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links