Survived my first "family event" while CCing

This is a discussion on Survived my first "family event" while CCing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GM I agree with you about the WWW, I cannot understand why some people believe that it is something so special. IMO ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Survived my first "family event" while CCing

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I agree with you about the WWW, I cannot understand why some people believe that it is something so special. IMO it is just a silly thing.

In what way does it help beginners ?
    Spelling out the basics for those who don't see the point of facing one's initial, newbie fears of being outed whenever concealing ...

Here is one way to view it.

Obviously, many newbies to carrying a firearm get all hung up on the idea that everyone's going to see, everyone's going to freak out when they see, that their concealment attempts will fail royally, blah blah blah. But as we all know, those of us who have carried for awhile, that's hogwash. Nobody gives a rip, really. Most everyone is so wrapped up in their own little worlds when out on the town that they're highly unlikely to recognize anyone is carrying a firearm concealed, particularly if a person takes some care with selection of cover garments, has a decent holster, etc. The whole point of picking SOME place somewhere that has a lot of people is to get over one's petty little fears and worries as quickly as possible. A large store with lots of people and opportunities to bend/twist/reach is as good a place as any. Better, in the sense that spending an hour in a place with hundreds of people can quickly show a newbie that there's little to worry about. The tradition seems to be Wal-Mart, though it could be any well-recognized common store that's got a nationwide presence, for folks to suggest.

Obviously, too, any venue will do in which there are sufficient people and sufficient opportunities for bending/twisting/reaching while within view of many people. Any large, people-filled spot is going to quickly help teach a person that the myths are myths, the worries are just that, and that one's carrying isn't going to be such a big deal. Getting over that hurdle shouldn't be tough for anyone, yet it is. Hence, the suggestion to head to a populated shopping zone ... such as Wal-Mart. Could be anywhere. I'm guessing the tradition started with Wal-Mart simply because that's the proverbial "large shopping spot" that everyone can relate to, nationwide. There's no other reason for that to be the one spot with all the lessons. Call it the Target Store Waltz if you prefer. Wherever is fine. But, if you're a newbie to carrying, the point is to learn to conceal without much concern or fear over being outed everywhere you go. Basically, it's little more than that. It has value to those who have such minor fears. It won't to anyone else, really.

YMMV. Whatever floats the boat.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Spelling out the basics for those who don't see the point of facing one's initial, newbie fears of being outed whenever concealing ...

Here is one way to view it.

Obviously, many newbies to carrying a firearm get all hung up on the idea that everyone's going to see, everyone's going to freak out when they see, that their concealment attempts will fail royally, blah blah blah. But as we all know, those of us who have carried for awhile, that's hogwash. Nobody gives a rip, really. Most everyone is so wrapped up in their own little worlds when out on the town that they're highly unlikely to recognize anyone is carrying a firearm concealed, particularly if a person takes some care with selection of cover garments, has a decent holster, etc. The whole point of picking SOME place somewhere that has a lot of people is to get over one's petty little fears and worries as quickly as possible. A large store with lots of people and opportunities to bend/twist/reach is as good a place as any. Better, in the sense that spending an hour in a place with hundreds of people can quickly show a newbie that there's little to worry about. The tradition seems to be Wal-Mart, though it could be any well-recognized common store that's got a nationwide presence, for folks to suggest.

Obviously, too, any venue will do in which there are sufficient people and sufficient opportunities for bending/twisting/reaching while within view of many people. Any large, people-filled spot is going to quickly help teach a person that the myths are myths, the worries are just that, and that one's carrying isn't going to be such a big deal. Getting over that hurdle shouldn't be tough for anyone, yet it is. Hence, the suggestion to head to a populated shopping zone ... such as Wal-Mart. Could be anywhere. I'm guessing the tradition started with Wal-Mart simply because that's the proverbial "large shopping spot" that everyone can relate to, nationwide. There's no other reason for that to be the one spot with all the lessons. Call it the Target Store Waltz if you prefer. Wherever is fine. But, if you're a newbie to carrying, the point is to learn to conceal without much concern or fear over being outed everywhere you go. Basically, it's little more than that. It has value to those who have such minor fears. It won't to anyone else, really.

YMMV. Whatever floats the boat.
    It worked well for me. A trip to a shopping center of some sort is great. You have a car close by if it's not working out. There's restrooms available if something needs an adjustment. Plenty of non-committal human interaction and no one knows you, you can leave any time you want.

My trip was to a local Whole Foods Supermarket. I was carrying at about 4:30 - 5:00 at someone's (awful) suggestion, with the grip of my Glock 19 poking behind slightly through my sweatshirt. I leaned forward to serve myself a to go cup of hot soup from the deli and a lady brushed by me and bumped her arm on the grip. I caught a few curious looks from her. That was all. Took me a few more short trips out of the house for my head to stop screamin' at me after that little non-episode. Like ccw9mm said, it takes an easy excursion or two to discover that "no one gives a rip" and see just how distracted most human beings really are.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Ya no one seems to care or notice even when it is obvious. I was at an out door event this weekend, if I turned one way the wind would make my cover shirt hug every curve of the gun. No one blinked twice, I guess nowadays people just assume that it is a phone or something.
    G20 / G29

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    congrats on both
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Classic example here of.... whatever.

Why do you feel a "need" to have a gun around relatives? It's certainly no big thing not to as I'm pretty sure you'd be safe.

I'm not sure what it is that makes this CC such a big thing, if you have a license it's a non issue. I'd worry (and have) without a license.

Now the Wally World Walk, if you want a real rush try it without a gun! Now there's a rush, do you have any idea what your chances are of getting through it without having a gun? OMG, what if something happened, what are the chances of that? Geez, if a robbery was taking place in the checkout lines I'd probably keep shopping.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodguru View Post

Why do you feel a "need" to have a gun around relatives? It's certainly no big thing not to as I'm pretty sure you'd be safe.

I'm not sure what it is that makes this CC such a big thing, if you have a license it's a non issue. I'd worry (and have) without a license.

Now the Wally World Walk, if you want a real rush try it without a gun! Now there's a rush, do you have any idea what your chances are of getting through it without having a gun? OMG, what if something happened, what are the chances of that? Geez, if a robbery was taking place in the checkout lines I'd probably keep shopping.
    Sounds like the old "crime is rare so why have a gun"?
    Well, unless one has a crystal ball that works, you just never know. We (gunners) say "anytime, anywhere".
    As for carrying around relatives, I always do. It is NOT because I think one of them is going to mug me. It is more because maybe I'll get carjacked on the way home from there; and if I
    wasn't carrying at their house, I wouldn't have it on the way home either.
    Hey, I agree with you on the Walmart thing (continue shopping if a robbery is happening at the checkout). Probably a much better plan than starting a gunfight over Walmart's money. But, the gun is still nice to have, especially if the robbers decide to come after some of the customers.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Sounds like the old "crime is rare so why have a gun"?
    Well, unless one has a crystal ball that works, you just never know. We (gunners) say "anytime, anywhere".
    As for carrying around relatives, I always do. It is NOT because I think one of them is going to mug me. It is more because maybe I'll get carjacked on the way home from there; and if I
    wasn't carrying at their house, I wouldn't have it on the way home either.
    Hey, I agree with you on the Walmart thing (continue shopping if a robbery is happening at the checkout). Probably a much better plan than starting a gunfight over Walmart's money. But, the gun is still nice to have, especially if the robbers decide to come after some of the customers.
    At WalMart, the gun is more likely for YOU personally in the parking lot, where many people on here are approached by questionable people. who cares about what happens to WalMart's money, they sure don't care what happens to ours.

I don't carry specifically "around my relatives" coz I do feel safe at grandma's house. However, the ride over there, I had to stop for gas. What if I broke down and had to walk? Or get towed? I don't really like the idea of me being a single woman getting into a tow truck with a perfect stranger who not only has control of the wheel but my vehicle as well. I feel that the gas station stop was far riskier than an afternoon at grandma's.
    However, I DON'T feel the urge to advertise my carrying to my gossipy aunties just because I'm legal and don't have anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodguru
    I'm not sure what it is that makes this CC such a big thing,
    Are you sure you're on the right forum? Obviously I think it's a big enough "thing" to pay the money for a class and permit and quality belt/holster combo.
    When you're new to CC though, it can be a little nerve-wracking to worry about being "made" --- especially in a smallish town were gossip flies, and I carry an especially big risk because I'm not allowed to carry at work. I don't want them to hassle me needlessly, say they want to search my truck or something just because they found out that I have a CC permit. Nope, I'd rather it not be common knowledge. I don't feel particularly worried about someone at WalMart hugging me and my gun too, but extended family is a bit different situation. I was glad it went smoothly --- some of the "been carrying forever" types may see it as a non-event, but I'm new to all this and it was my first time around family. I was a bit worried about the upcoming holidays, but this helped ease my mind. And not being able to discuss it with very many people who care, I posted here. If you think it's a no-big-deal, just use your browser's back button ;)
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Good job Tala! It is a scary thing when you're in "Close Quarter Combat" as I call it with the relatives...nothing's more scary for me than to try and cover myself when I receive a gang hug from my eight grandkids all at once! I've carried 95% of my adult life due to my various occupations and you do have to be on alert all of the time, but you do get used to it. Don't let anyone talk you into not carrying, because when you don't will be the time when you wish you had...trust me on that one. I've converted all of my son-in-laws & son because I expect them to take care of my daughters & grandkids. I've found that if you keep your elbows locked into your sides and go in low with the hugs it forces them to go high. I also found that the appendix carry or smart carry were the best options for me, I was asked by our school resource officer where I was teaching if he could count on me to carry everyday at school, after 3 years being with, and yes, getting hugs from 200 loving kids, and teachers daily I was never made once. Hope the holidays go well for you.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

I'm not sure what it is that makes this CC such a big thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Are you sure you're on the right forum? If you think it's a no-big-deal, just use your browser's back button ;)
    Tala 1
    Woodguru 0

Hugging at our family parties is common as well but so is carrying a concealed weapon. My mother-in-law always smiles when she hugs me and tells me she feels safe when I'm around. In reality, at any given family party on my wife's side, there will be at least five others who are carrying. We should probably sit down one day and plan out how we would get out of each others way if something did happen and the guns came out.

Good topic Tala!
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

I'm not worried about my relatives but a home invasion could happen at their house just as easily as it could happen at mine. I will grant you that I did in fact leave my spare magazine in the car on Thanksgiving Day to lighten my load a little. The XD45 was still safely tucked in my shoulder holster will I enjoyed the turkey with all the kin folk.

Tala, you have the right idea. Keep it concealed around anyone who would gossip, don't ask, don't tell!

If carrying IWB and am being hugged, I go left hand high, righ hand low.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I had a similar event at a family (wife's family) get together the day after Thanksgiving. My wife's sister hosts what she calls soup day annually on that day, and I carried my S&W 457 while there. There was the usual amount of hugging and such, and to my knowledge, no one noticed. To add to the event, a family cousin from the UK was there with his wife and kids.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar

. Actually you are less safe around family then strangers in regards to crime rates. Statistically you are more likely to be murdered by a family memer or friend then a stranger. So be ready to pull at family gatherings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links