Survived my first "family event" while CCing

Survived my first "family event" while CCing

This is a discussion on Survived my first "family event" while CCing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know what the deal is with "wally world walks" on this forum. Since I worked there for a few years, it's practically like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survived my first "family event" while CCing

Talking Survived my first "family event" while CCing

I don't know what the deal is with "wally world walks" on this forum. Since I worked there for a few years, it's practically like a second home in that you learn not to stress about the amount of people there.
    WalMart didn't make any waves on my "New to CC-ing O-meter" but family events and gasp the *hugging* that goes on at them.....now that was a whole new ballgame!

I successfully survived a baby shower for my cousin while CCing - Jeans, tight undershirt, CBST and loose button-front cover shirt. The afternoon started off a little rough, we were almost late and my Dr Pepper spilled in the truck on the ride over there including all over my phone....but we made it.

The trick seems to be to turn the left (weak side) for those pesky hugging relatives (that the south is full of) All of my aunts were there and all of the obligatory hugs that come with them, and as far as I can tell, nobody suspected a thing!

Hopefully the upcoming holiday season will go as smoothly!!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Congratulations IMO! Your close quarters ordeals are definitely worth the experiences.

Lead in with the weak side or just do the side hug Glad it went well for you

Glad to hear it went smoothly for you!

Thankfully for me, the majority of my family is pro-2A and those who aren't are at least neutral on the issue. Most of my friends are the same, as well, with 5 so far being converts to get their CHCL and I just found out that three others plan to take a class in the next month or three. The times it's come up with folks w/whom I'm not sure of their leanings where the "must inform" before entering their home is concerned, none have freaked out about it.

Another way to hug that I've discovered goes well is to initiate when you know it's coming and go low w/your own arms, grabbing the "victim" around the wrist. Read about that here, originally, and it works most perfectly.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
    Glad to hear it went smoothly for you!

Thankfully for me, the majority of my family is pro-2A and those who aren't are at least neutral on the issue. Most of my friends are the same, as well, with 5 so far being converts to get their CHCL and I just found out that three others plan to take a class in the next month or three. The times it's come up with folks w/whom I'm not sure of their leanings where the "must inform" before entering their home is concerned, none have freaked out about it.

Another way to hug that I've discovered goes well is to initiate when you know it's coming and go low w/your own arms, grabbing the "victim" around the wrist. Read about that here, originally, and it works most perfectly.
    LOL about the victim. Yeah, helps to kinda expect that it's coming and initiate yourself, rather than getting "attack hugged" that way you can keep your gun out of the way better. hehe

My grandma is pretty bomb proof, so no worries about being at her house. Probably no one would freak out, it's the south and they are all gun "friendly" but they aren't exactly gun carriers, ya know? If one aunt discovered it, she would squeal about it and they'd all know. They'd probably tease me and bring it up at every future get-together.....I'd just rather avoid all that "publicity" heh
    I'd prefer that they keep the teasing about who has the biggest butt and who is wearing who's old jeans, and such girl stuff like that! LOL
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    Tala, you're now a graduate!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Close quarters shouldn't be a problem when you know it's coming...enjoy the holidays!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Tala, I hear you about the family thing. I come from a huge Italian, Catholic family and any event with them is full of hugs and kisses from little old Italian women. And they like to hang on while carrying on a conversation for say 30 minutes. Walmart was nothing compared to Christmas with the family.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    And they like to hang on while carrying on a conversation for say 30 minutes.
    I see you've met my grandma........

My last family gathering, me and my uncle compared CBST's! Wife's was in the van. At least 3 others there have CCP's but not sure if they were armed. Then we passed folding knives around the table. A couple of aunt's are not really keen on guns, but they know they are outnumbered.

Glad it went well for you.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I don't know what the deal is with "wally world walks" on this forum.
    For beginners, it's a good first step to show that concealment can work. That's why it's recommended as a reasonable first outing.

WalMart didn't make any waves on my "New to CC-ing O-meter" but family events and gasp the *hugging* that goes on at them.....now that was a whole new ballgame!
    Which is why family picnics aren't recommended as the first step. They're something else entirely. They risk being outed publicly amongst family. They risk the invariable high/low hugging problems. They risk kids and their roving hands at waist level. It is most definitely a "whole new ballgame." Turning the side and "going in low" seem to be two popular techniques.

Congrats on succeeding.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    For beginners, it's a good first step to show that concealment can work. That's why it's recommended as a reasonable first outing.
    Man, I'm glad someone explained this. I was gonna ask...

And congrats Tala! Holidays are coming up for me - we'll see how it goes, but I think I may be in deep cover..

On another note, seems like I really need to up the SuperTuck a few notches on the priority list.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

I hug arm under, as opposed to arm over.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I'm so much taller than most of my family members that they're always bangin their elbow on the grip of my pistol when the grab me around the waist. I can't get low enough to force them up any higher. I had an Uncle slap my on the hip recently, not sure what he thought he hit, but it was solid :)
    HK: P30 v3
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

GM
    Glad that you "survived" your first family event

I agree with you about the WWW, I cannot understand why some people believe that it is something so special. IMO it is just a silly thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

And what about going to Publix Super Markets, or Winn-Dixie Stores, or Walgreens, or any other stores? There is even a map that shows how the WWW should be done (go first to the clothing section, after that to the ammo section and then go and get some nachos, etc.). In what way does it help beginners ?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links