College Campus

College Campus

This is a discussion on College Campus within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be spending quite a bit of time at UT Medical Center over the next few weeks and I believe this is considered part ...

Thread: College Campus

College Campus

I will be spending quite a bit of time at UT Medical Center over the next few weeks and I believe this is considered part of the UT Campus.
    Am I OK with my pistol locked in the car while in the parking lots?
    I know you can drop people off as long as you don't go inside armed but I am Not sure of locked in the car while inside.
    Any info much appreciated!
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Check with Campus Security.

Kev
    <><

GM
    I do not know their regulations/law there, but I am NOT allowed to do it. You better check with Campus Security, otherwise you could get in big trouble.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Do NOT check with Campus Security or any other field grade LEO. So many do NOT know the carry laws thoroughly. Check with your local D.A. or solicitor and here: http://handgunlaw.us

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Do NOT check with Campus Security or any other field grade LEO. So many do NOT know the carry laws thoroughly. Check with your local D.A. or solicitor and here: http://handgunlaw.us
    Agreed, checking with Campus Security is very likely to get you an opinionated answer, not the law.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks to everyone for your help.
    I checked the handgun law page listed above and it looks like the answer is no. You can only enter the property with a weapon in your vehicle for the sole purpose of drop off or pickup of passengers. The weapon must remain in the vehicle under the licensee's control. It appears you are not even allowed to exit the car.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I would agree with some of the other posters, and avoid talking to campus security. In my experience, whenever you mentioned the word "gun" on a college campus people start going crazy. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but after working on college campuses for a couple decades, I haven't found too many allies. I would advise writing to the local district attorney and getting his written opinion on the matter. I am sure you are not the first individual to request this information. Best of luck, stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Not only may you get incorrect info, this could put you on their 'radar screen'.

Here is another great info site...see the two maps in the upper left corner.
    http://www.usacarry.com/
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I thought that UT was College Carry Friendly OC or CC..?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I thought that UT was College Carry Friendly OC or CC..?
    I think in this case UT is the University of Tennessee, not referring to the state of Utah.

In Utah, it is legal to carry at any state school including Elementary, Jr High, High schools and Colleges/Universities.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

39-17-1309 "(b) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.
    (2) A violation of this subsection (b) is a Class E felony.
    (c) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection (c) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.
    (2) A violation of this subsection (c) is a Class B misdemeanor."

39-17-1310- "It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under 39-17-1309(a)-(d) that the person's behavior was in strict compliance with the requirements of one (1) of the following classifications:...(4)A person entering the property for the sole purpose of delivering or picking up passengers and who does not remove, utilize or allow to be removed or utilized any weapon from the vehicle."

I think the laws are really vague here. In one subsection it says it is a felony. Then in another it is a misdemeanor but it is a defense if the firearm is contained in your vehicle. Then it says the only affirmative defense is if its for picking up passengers...

Links