Defensive Carry banner

Question about carrying in vehicle (GA)

66K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Glocksin 
#1 ·
I was looking over the carry laws in Georgia,and am confused.I cannot get a clear answer from anyone,so im asking here.

Is it legal to carry a loaded pistol in the glove box or center console?

All i need is a yes or no answer.

#5 ·
I'm Not A Lawyer

Yes

O.C.G.A. 20.4.1. Firearms License
The law does not permit, outside of a person's home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm unless he/she has a valid pistol license issued under code section 16-11-129, and then the firearm must be in a holster, hipgrip or any other similar device; in which event the weapon may be concealed by a person's clothing, handbag, briefcase or other closed container.
Carrying on the person in a concealed manner other than as provided above is not permitted and constitutes the offense of carrying a concealed weapon.
The law does not forbid any person who is not ineligible for a firearms license from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner or in the glove compartment console or similar compartment of the vehicle.

#7 ·
Yes

O.C.G.A. 20.4.1. Firearms License
The law does not permit, outside of a person's home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm unless he/she has a valid pistol license issued under code section 16-11-129, and then the firearm must be in a holster, hipgrip or any other similar device; in which event the weapon may be concealed by a person's clothing, handbag, briefcase or other closed container.
Carrying on the person in a concealed manner other than as provided above is not permitted and constitutes the offense of carrying a concealed weapon.
The law does not forbid any person who is not ineligible for a firearms license from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner or in the glove compartment console or similar compartment of the vehicle.
Sounds like an obvious yes to me.

#9 ·
I'm a Georgia resident and have it on good authority by a deputy Sheriff in the county that I reside that, Yes, you can carry it loaded in the glove box or center console. If you have a GFL you can carry it on your person, or in any manner that you choose in your private vehicle. If you don't have a GFL you can only carry (Openly or Concealed) on your own private property, or with the permission of the property owner as it applies.

#10 ·
Yes it appears that you can. I know you only want a "yes or no answer" but don't trust your fate to a bunch of strangers on the internet...

GA Code: http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/Default.asp
Look up 16-11-126

Summarized here: http://www.handgunlaw.us (then click on Georgia)

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License
Title 16, Chapter 11, Section 126
(c) This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person's clothing, or a handbag, purse, attache case,
briefcase, or other closed container. Carrying on the person in a concealed manner other than as provided in this subsection shall not be permitted and shall be a violation of this Code section.

No Permit License Is needed to carry the firearm inside your Motor Vehicle either openly or concealed.

The GA Court of Appeals ruled in (Hubbard v. State, 210 Ga. App. 141, 143-44 1993) that if you do not have a permit/license honored in GA you can only carry a firearm in “Your Own Vehicle.” This means you can carry in “Your Own Vehicle” without a permit/license but if you are riding in a vehicle that is not yours you must have a GA permit/license or a permit/license that GA honors to carry a loaded firearm in the motor vehicle.

Bottom line:

Without a permit - yes open or concealed if it's in your own motor vehicle.
With a permit - yes open or concealed, but keep in mind that if it's carried 'on your person', it must be in a 'real holster' not just in a pocket with no holster or tucked in your waistband.

I'm not a lawyer, if you're still unsure ask one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.