FL College Campus Car Storage

This is a discussion on FL College Campus Car Storage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be in FL this December to attend my sister's graduation from UCF. And I was wondering if I would be able to store ...

Thread: FL College Campus Car Storage

FL College Campus Car Storage

I will be in FL this December to attend my sister's graduation from UCF. And I was wondering if I would be able to store my Pistol in CoM style safe in the car while at the ceremony? On handgunlaw.us they list an exemption to the parking lot storage law as "Any school property as defined and regulated under s. 790.115". When I looked up 790.115 they listed school as meaning post secondary as well.

Should I just leave my gun at home as I will be checking out of my hotel before heading out to the ceremony?

2. Remove Ads

Legally?...No!

Keeping a Center of Mass safe well-hidden in your trunk would still be considered illegal.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    According to Jon Gutmacher's book, this is actually a grey area under the law. But since being a test case is painful and expensive, I'd suggest going with retsup99's interpretation.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I'm right around the corner from UCF. If you want to bring your gun but are unsure about bringing it on campus park your vehicle off campus and go from there. Its not far to the graduation especially if you can bum a ride from someone but even walking you're talking a 1-1.5 miles tops. Heck you could actually just walk catch the campus bus and ride right to the arena. The graduation is on campus right? There is a plaza/shopping center, whatever you want to call it at the intersection of University blvd and Alafaya Trail (SR 434). From that corner you can pretty much look north and see the sign flashing sign that is on the road that leads to the arena. That's the closest lot i can think of off the top of my head. As far as security of your vehicle sadly its probably just as safe off campus as it would be on campus

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Or...e=INTERSECTION <--map if you go north from the star it will be gemini blvd 2nd right on the map.

Not sure about UCF, but FL Law leaves it open for universities to exert an exemption that allows them to ban even having a firearm in your car on university property. As noted above, some of the definitions of property seem a bit vague, but I am not sure I would volunteer as a test case; that is, as a faculty member at a state university that expressly prohibits it, I choose not to test it.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Links