gun security inside truck?

This is a discussion on gun security inside truck? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of my places of employment is an employee gun-free zone (doesn't that make me feel secure ) Occasionally, I need to leave my EDC ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun security inside truck?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

gun security inside truck?

One of my places of employment is an employee gun-free zone (doesn't that make me feel secure) Occasionally, I need to leave my EDC in my F-350. I've already had a Glock stolen from my truck.

I am looking at the center-of-mass console gun vault. (http://www.center-of-mass.com/CV_Details/CV1009.htm). Any thoughts or other recommendations??

Thanks!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Vaults should be a definate requirement if you're gonna have to leave it in the vehicle. However, I'm also a believer in 'security through obscurity'. So, I've taken it a step further by modifying my vehicle to embed the safe in a location that only a DEA agent could find, yet it is still easy access for me. Unless the entire vehicle is stolen, they're not gonna get it.

I have this in my soft top jeep: http://www.ariesautomotive.com/security%2Bbox.html
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

No one is gonna break into your truck unless there's something in there to steal. If there's no indication of valuables in the truck, i.e., a visible "safe", unless they steal the whole truck, you should be ok. If you can think of a place to hide something, so can the thief. In fact, their experience may enable them to think of some places to hide things you won't think of. Take the faceplate off your stereo and open any lockable compartments - showing they are empty. Don't advertise that you carry. The BG might just know your workplace is a gun-free zone and you've had to leave it elsewhere (like in your vehicle). Secrecy is your best deterrent. If you can't do that, then hide the safe. Under the seat, behind the dash. All you need is for it to not be visible from the truck windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    One of my places of employment is an employee gun-free zone (doesn't that make me feel secure) Occasionally, I need to leave my EDC in my F-350. I've already had a Glock stolen from my truck.

I am looking at the center-of-mass console gun vault. (http://www.center-of-mass.com/CV_Details/CV1009.htm). Any thoughts or other recommendations??

Thanks!!
    I have this guy: http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod-0/pro...0963.uts.shtml

The one you posted looks better for sure. However I do like that with mine it's extremely easy to carry in a backpack or move to a different vehicle or location. There's also a couple mounting holes in the bottom. And it's dirt cheap.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

I have one of those $30 locking boxes, under my driver's seat, secured with a cable. BUT, I find it difficult to hide the cable for some reason, it wants to stick out in plain view in front of the seat.
    For years, I've wanted to cut a hole in the floorboards, the size of a vault, and mount the vault, flush with the floorboards. Then just cover it with a floormat. Don't know if this is a viable solution, but I would think unless someone happened to crawl under the truck, you'd be good to go. Out of sight, out of mind. What are the opinions on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    I have one of those $30 locking boxes, under my driver's seat, secured with a cable. BUT, I find it difficult to hide the cable for some reason, it wants to stick out in plain view in front of the seat.
    For years, I've wanted to cut a hole in the floorboards, the size of a vault, and mount the vault, flush with the floorboards. Then just cover it with a floormat. Don't know if this is a viable solution, but I would think unless someone happened to crawl under the truck, you'd be good to go. Out of sight, out of mind. What are the opinions on this?
    I've thought of mounting mine too but here's why I haven't. Most of the time this thing is riding with me in a compact car and from time to time I'm in plain view of the public on a city street. If I'm careful, I find it more discreet to be taking the gun from my hip to the safe in my lap than I do to be fooling around at my feet. And often, I'm moving the safe to a different vehicle. But for the price, I could pick up another - mount one, and use the other for those means.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post

Thanks!!
    I use the large combo center-of-mass safe that has the cable attached to my seat post in my 4 runner and it fits perfectly under the front seat. The combination lock is cheaply made and I had to send the first one back because I could not program my combination. The 2nd one they sent works fine and I have not had any problems with it. I have not seen the center console model yet for the Toyota 4 Runner.
    Mitch Rapp is my hero (reference to the Vince Flynn novels)

RIP Vince! Going to miss your novels! :(

Quote Originally Posted by mattdillon View Post
    I use the large combo center-of-mass safe that has the cable attached to my seat post in my 4 runner and it fits perfectly under the front seat. The combination lock is cheaply made and I had to send the first one back because I could not program my combination. The 2nd one they sent works fine and I have not had any problems with it. I have not seen the center console model yet for the Toyota 4 Runner.
    - I also purchased two combination lock versions. One had a bad lock and was returned. It's a decent safe since it also comes with a cable lock you can loop around the seat's frame. It's not going to stop a determined thief with tools, but it should stop a smash and grab.

I'm almost certain that the Center of Mass, Cabela's Secure-It and GunVault Nano are the same safe.

I use the CoM safe for short term storage in a vehicle. To be more effective, I hide the safe in the trunk so that it is not easily found.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Out of sight, out of mind

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    No one is gonna break into your truck unless there's something in there to steal. If there's no indication of valuables in the truck, i.e., a visible "safe", unless they steal the whole truck, you should be ok. If you can think of a place to hide something, so can the thief. In fact, their experience may enable them to think of some places to hide things you won't think of. Take the faceplate off your stereo and open any lockable compartments - showing they are empty. Don't advertise that you carry. The BG might just know your workplace is a gun-free zone and you've had to leave it elsewhere (like in your vehicle). Secrecy is your best deterrent. If you can't do that, then hide the safe. Under the seat, behind the dash. All you need is for it to not be visible from the truck windows.
    I have to agree with Keltyke. I have a friend who travels all over the USA, and has to have multiple weapons due to his job. He says he leaves his in a trashbag, behind the seat under a book, anywhere but the glovebox or console. If they cant see in the vehicle, dark window tint helps, they may pass it by for an easier target.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    I have this guy: http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod-0/pro...0963.uts.shtml

The one you posted looks better for sure. However I do like that with mine it's extremely easy to carry in a backpack or move to a different vehicle or location. There's also a couple mounting holes in the bottom. And it's dirt cheap.
    I have this one as well. Works great for my at work needs.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    If money is an issue, try this;

http://www.exploreproducts.com/secur...fe-lockbox.htm

I have one in each of my cars, it conceals under the seat, so, it is not apparent that you are locking up anything. The cable locks around the seat rail (or any other hard enclosed point) so you cannot jsut walk off with it, And they are secure enough that you won't get it without a bolt cutter, or a pickset.

Bear in mind, all you are buying with any safe/lockbox system is piece of mind are reasonable prevention of theft. Remember that anyone who really wants to get what you have in your car, given enough time, most certainly will.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Most folks do leave visible items in their cars and these attract thieve's attention, so IMO if you have your safe out of sight, I'd think you'd be pretty safe from a theft. Most thieves need to see an item before wasting time breaking into an "empty"car when their are so many that are not "empty"

My ,02

PS I use a Gunvault Microvault because I use it in my car and for air travel as well. Holds 2 full size pistols.

Find a auto shop tat does electronics work.Get them to turn your alarm into a 200 decibel blast from your stereo.Nobody will break in,i promise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links