Going to Atlanta

Going to Atlanta

This is a discussion on Going to Atlanta within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to Atlanta next week to have thanksgiving with my buddy and his wife. I know my Florida permit is valid in Georgia and ...

Going to Atlanta

I'm going to Atlanta next week to have thanksgiving with my buddy and his wife. I know my Florida permit is valid in Georgia and I've read where I can and can't carry. I've given up trying to figure out if I can open carry legally there as I won't have much need for that. What I can't seem to find is does Georgia restrict the number of firearms you can carry? Normally I carry 2 a bug in my front pocket and one of my larger ones on my hip and would like to do this especially since I'll be in Atlanta. Thanks for the help

*edit*

Also remember reading once that I couldn't carry at a rest stop? Don't remember if this was GA or not but I can't find that written in GA law unless they consider a rest stop a "public gathering"?

Carry In Georgia

You are not restricted on the number of guns you can carry in GA. Also with the new laws that got passed this year there is no longer a public gathering law. So rest stop carry is now ok. Visit this site for an easy to read updated version of the GA code. www.georgiapacking.org.

Quote Originally Posted by mstomb View Post
    You are not restricted on the number of guns you can carry in GA. Also with the new laws that got passed this year there is no longer a public gathering law. So rest stop carry is now ok. Visit this site for an easy to read updated version of the GA code. www.georgiapacking.org.
    yeah that's the site I ended up reading most of the laws from the official GA site is a PITA and i pretty much gave up with it but I think that's where i read the public gathering part. Thanks for the info just wanted to make sure I was good with my 2 guns and a pocket knife

Yes you are good with 2 guns. You may carry at rest stops, and as long as you have a valid permit that is honored in GA (which you do), then you can open carry. I do not consider GA to very OC friendly. You "may" run into some friction OCing. I always conceal carry when I visit, but that is up to you. Have a safe trip.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I hear that in Atlanta when traffic stop, Don't lie & be ready to be dis-armmed No First Hand expereince, Alot of TALK ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you've never driven in/thru Atlanta before, the trafffic is the biggest danger you'll face. It's insane! Apparently there are no speed laws on the I-75/85 corridor other then the laws of physics. Be prepared to go from 85 to zero in 100 feet or less!

Good to hear GA finally did away with the "reststop" prohibition. Never made sense.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yep,its all correct.Open carry as many guns you want,carry at rest stops,and please avoid I-75 from 10 am -6 pm.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    However, if you're flying the airport and its parking lot are still off limits.

I got pulled over a couple months ago when going through GA. I told the officer right away that I had two firearms on me and another in my suitcase. It was no problem and he thanked me for letting him know. Then he wrote me a ticket for window tint. It seems GA passed a law a few years back that any vehicle passing through the state has to obey their VC laws. If it wasn't hard enough learning all the different CC laws for each state I was traveling through now this. Ended up costing me $117, but at least I didn't have to pull my window tint. I was shocked to see the officer pull out a light meter. From what I hear these things aren't cheap. So be careful if your tint is darker than 25%.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I got pulled over a couple months ago when going through GA. I told the officer right away that I had two firearms on me and another in my suitcase. It was no problem and he thanked me for letting him know. Then he wrote me a ticket for window tint. It seems GA passed a law a few years back that any vehicle passing through the state has to obey their VC laws. If it wasn't hard enough learning all the different CC laws for each state I was traveling through now this. Ended up costing me $117, but at least I didn't have to pull my window tint. I was shocked to see the officer pull out a light meter. From what I hear these things aren't cheap. So be careful if your tint is darker than 25%.
    I have to agree that tinted windows are more of a hazard than a help. I really hate trying to back out of a parking spot when I can't see through the next guy's big ole Surburban's tinted windows. Since the Federal gov't sets vehicle safety standards, It seems as if window tint should fall under Federal regs and not individual states, since you are only "passing through." What's next? Each state determines whay brand headlights to use?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you've never driven in/thru Atlanta before, the trafffic is the biggest danger you'll face. It's insane! Apparently there are no speed laws on the I-75/85 corridor other then the laws of physics. Be prepared to go from 85 to zero in 100 feet or less!

Good to hear GA finally did away with the "reststop" prohibition. Never made sense.
    Once I was in Atlanta for a job interview. I had a flight right after the interview, and was going to be cutting it close. Came out of the interview, and my rental car had a flat tire. After I finally got the flat changed, I was running really late for my flight. I was driving between 85 and 100 mph in downtown Atlanta, and I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Got the job, and and I can tell you after living there for two years it's one of the craziest driving places in the world. Georgians also love their guns. Have a good Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Apparently there are no speed laws on the I-75/85 corridor other then the laws of physics.
    Bah! Only tourists obey the laws of physics.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    enjoy GA
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Hey, coinkydink! Im traveling to Atlanta on the 28th for a week of training.
    Ill be in North Atlanta.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Yeah I know all about the roads near Atlanta. You think driving in a car is "fun" trying being in 2 trucks towing travel trailers over 30ft long. Thankfully I was too young to drive back then but it I know we avoided Atlanta as much as possible when my family traveled, or anytime for that matter. One year we flat spotted all 4 tires on the '73 chevy AND all 4 tires on the airstream when some moron decided he wanted to stop in the middle of the road to let someone on the highway from the on ramp.

Don't plan on open carrying the people I'm going to see are antis but they don't necessarily see the need. My buddy knows (or did he probably forgot by now) that I carry no big deal.

"If you've never driven in/thru Atlanta before, the trafffic is the biggest danger you'll face. It's insane! Apparently there are no speed laws on the I-75/85 corridor other then the laws of physics. Be prepared to go from 85 to zero in 100 feet or less!" <---that's our I4 here in central Florida

thanks for the help y'all

Links