How gun friendly is MO???

This is a discussion on How gun friendly is MO??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the process of enlisting with the Army. My field of training will probably be military police, which means I will do my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am in the process of enlisting with the Army. My field of training will probably be military police, which means I will do my basic and advanced training at Fort Leonard Wood, in Missouri. My SC permit is valid there, but I was wondering how gun friendly the state is, before I'm deployed. Any information would be appreciated.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

The more rural you get the better it is. Check out the forums at www.missouricarry.com

Let me be the first to thank you for your service to our country.
    Press the fight!

MO is fairly friend. However, the Army is not. Do not take any weapons to basic and MP school. The Army will give you the weapons they want you to have during that time.

MO is friendly but an army base is not. Do not carry your personal weapons to an army base and expect to be received with open arms.

Defiantly join us at Missouricarry.com; in the area around Fort "Lost-In-The-Woods" you will find it very gun friendly. The biggest PITA is we still have to go get permission from the local sheriff to purchase a "concealable firearm" (known as a PTA, permit to aquire) but reports from that area are good.

Also just for your information, carry into a posted business is NOT a criminal offense, all that they can do is ask you to leave, if you refuse and the police are called it is a misdemeanor, although you permit can be revoked if you make a habit of it.

St Louis (known as “The Loo” after the English slang for a toilet and Kansas Chitty are the 2 big anti gun areas but your permit is good state wide so $#@^ ‘em, you don’t have to live there and Springfield has the BIG Bass Pro store anyway, so what else do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief
    MO is friendly but an army base is not. Do not carry your personal weapons to an army base and expect to be received with open arms.

I wasn't planning on carrying on the base, I was talking about after training and living in the area.

NRA Member

I think it's awesome that you're enlisting.
    If I were a younger man, I'd do it too.
    One of the things I regret, in my life, is not enlisting.
    During the Vietnam War, I almost enlisted in the AF.
    Took their tests, etc., but I backed out.
    At the time, I thought I was going to be drafted and I was preferring the AF at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_db
    I think it's awesome that you're enlisting.
    If I were a younger man, I'd do it too.
    One of the things I regret, in my life, is not enlisting.
    During the Vietnam War, I almost enlisted in the AF.
    Took their tests, etc., but I backed out.
    At the time, I thought I was going to be drafted and I was preferring the AF at the time.

Thanks for the support, I'm no spring chicken myself. During the first gulf war I took the tests, etc and backed out as well. I'm 36 now and decided a change was in order, I just hope I can make the grade. I'm pretty confident I can, wish me luck.

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Missouri is more gun friendly than the media is. It seems the media is real antigun and the slightest thing that happens you will read about it or see it on tv without hearing all the facts.

I'm in MO... and I'm quite gun friendly :)

MO PTA (Permit to Aquire) is a major P(i)TA, we're working on it. Perhaps in a few years it'll be history.

Suppressors are a NO NO here without 'special' status (LEO, SOT, etc), but other NFA items are no problem in most areas (aside from the federal BS regulations, that is).

Fort Leonard Wood puts you in the middle of the state, couple hours from KC or StL, little less to Springfield. Nice area.

As mentioned above, MissouriCarry is a good site for locals, great bunch of people. We have a big to-do comming in September, if you're in the area.

Thanks for your service, and welcome to Missouri!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    What makes you think you'll be posted there after training?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter
    What makes you think you'll be posted there after training?

AFS

Because it's the only Army MP training facility in the country. Although I guess that doesn't mean they won't deploy me somewhere else I know the military is good at that.

NRA Member

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I’d always suggest the AF Cops over the Army Cops, but ether way enjoy your time and best of luck.

Your chances of being posted at Lost in the Woods are probably close to zilch unless that is one of your requests and even then I would not hold my breath.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by mark555
    I’d always suggest the AF Cops over the Army Cops, but ether way enjoy your time and best of luck.

Your chances of being posted at Lost in the Woods are probably close to zilch unless that is one of your requests and even then I would not hold my breath.

From what I've read, it seems that the Army has better benefits, then the AF. I could be wrong, I've talked to quite a few, who were in the service and most of them recommended the Army. Besides, being 36 I can't apply to the AF their cutoff age is 27, Marines, 28, and Navy 34. That being said, my only choice is the Army. I regret that I wasn't mature enough in my younger days to make this decision. The thought has been in the back of my mind since high school, I just never acted. Now that I've "grown" up, I've made the decision, to do what, I feel I should've done a long time ago. I just hope I can hang with the young guys.

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by ENSANE1970
    Because it's the only Army MP training facility in the country. Although I guess that doesn't mean they won't deploy me somewhere else I know the military is good at that.
    You can bet your last dollar the Army will deploy you somewhere else. That's not only what the military is "good at that", that's what they do. There are 3 kinds of MPs. Those who are getting ready to deploy, those who are deployed, and those who just returned. Expect to do at least 1 tour in Iraq but figure with a 4 yr enlistment you'll most likely do 2 tours. Or you could pull Afghanistan instead. Tours are a year each. You could even do 3 tours. Also understand that if you have a 4 year enlistment doesn't mean your enlistment will automatically end on the date. The military has what's known as stop loss where they can extend your enlistment even without your permission.
    If you have a recruiter telling you that you won't be deployed then your recruiter is flat out lying to you. As soon as you complete MP school pack your bags and be prepared for a trip across the pond because that's just the way things are these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links