My wife is already tired of purse carry

This is a discussion on My wife is already tired of purse carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's actually a good thing. She hates large purses full of stuff. So putting a gun in hers was just making it too heavy for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife is already tired of purse carry

My wife is already tired of purse carry

It's actually a good thing. She hates large purses full of stuff. So putting a gun in hers was just making it too heavy for her. We were going out today to do get some early Christmas shopping done and she wanted to carry. Just not in the purse. I tried to get the SERPA to work. No way. It's a great holster as long as you don't need to conceal. Tried it with paddle, belt loops, canted it different ways. Looked like a fanny pack under her jacket. So in a moment of pure genius, if I must say so myself, I grabbed her purse holster and shoved it in her back pocket. It seems the back pocket is just the right size for an XD 9mm sc in a Bulldog pocket holster. Worked pretty good. But I don't like the fact that the holster is likely coming out with the gun. So we got home and ordered a Crossbreed snapslide and Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer with the plastic insert. Here are a few pics of todays carry. She'll be carrying in style in a few weeks!

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

Just watch the butt grabs!

Whatever works, but what keeps the holster from coming out with the gun?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Whatever works, but what keeps the holster from coming out with the gun?
    Nothing, that's why I've got a real holster on order. Just something to get through the day. I'm just happy she's getting away from the purse and wanting to carry on body. Basically, it was this or she was leaving it at home.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Hey, it's another step in the right direction :)

My girlfriend goes in to file her application on Monday!

Can I ask, is there a reason for that reverse draw?
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

I have a small purse that holds my fullsize 9mm. It has a good shoulder strap to help with the wt, but it's still a bit heavy. (I dont like purses and sometimes only carry one because I carry my gun). The Maxpedition Fatboys and similar bags have very good padded shoulder straps that distribute the wt well (I have a 5.11 PushPak).

It (the purse, not the PushPak) is this one: https://www.guntotenmamas.com/cgi-bi...ion&key=GTM099
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    In my opinion, and this will vary from person to person, once the gun goes past 4:30 or so, to make it comfortable and easy to draw you've got to either have a crazy cant on it or use a reverse draw. The human arm just isn't meant to torque around like that.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Just watch the butt grabs!
    That might just be the reason I could use to get my wife to carry. Of course the left cheek would still be available!

You have a wonderful wife.Is her gun as big as yours?

Senior Moderator
    How does she draw without sweeping her entire pelvis?

I have seen this type of carry a couple of times including a young man who carried like this but just in his waistband and when I put a dummy gun there and told him to draw I watched as he swept his entire pelvis and hip on the draw.

We hear about it more often than we'd like.. the police officers or civilians who put a round in the floor or their leg because they drew and put their finger on the trigger too quickly and ended up with a discharge.

In this kind of a draw that discharge could be right into her side or hip unless she's somehow devised a way to do it differently but I don't see how without really contorting the arm.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    She could not reach around far enough with the grip in the other direction. Pretty much what paaiyan said.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    You have a wonderful wife.Is her gun as big as yours?
    Absolutely, I'm a blessed man. Not quite, I carry a G19.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    In this kind of a draw that discharge could be right into her side or hip unless she's somehow devised a way to do it differently but I don't see how without really contorting the arm.
    This is a temporary fix. I completely understand what you are saying. She does not carry often, because of going to and from school then going places. So I try to get her to carry every time she can. I had to think of something quick. In the next week or so she'll have a good holster. I have been trying to buy a holster locally, but they can't get them back in stock. Since she just decided she was no longer purse carrying I was not prepared for anything else. It's a step in the right direction at least.

As far as the butt comments, that gun might stop a BG but it's not going to stop me.

Senior Moderator
    Glad this is temporary.. I just got done reading this thread.....

Rear Pants Pocket Fail

The Crossbreed SnapSlide is a nice holster. I just got one for my M&P compact. It's very comfortable, rides high for concealment, and hugs the body. I liked it so much I ordered one for my Glock 22; still waiting for that one.

I'd let her try a LCP with a De Santis pocket holster.It's very confortable to carry .

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Nothing, that's why I've got a real holster on order. Just something to get through the day. I'm just happy she's getting away from the purse and wanting to carry on body. Basically, it was this or she was leaving it at home.
    I guessed I kind of missed that important point. I too, would be thrilled if my wife would try even that.
    Sounds like a winner for your wife to me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links