can you get your permit in alabama with an unregistered gun?

This is a discussion on can you get your permit in alabama with an unregistered gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; can you get your permit in alabama with an unregistered gun? i have several pistols that were my grandfathers that are unregistered and want to ...

can you get your permit in alabama with an unregistered gun? i have several pistols that were my grandfathers that are unregistered and want to get my permit to carry. i am going to buy a new gun in the next few months but don't have the cash right now. any way just wondering if someone can clear this up for me so i can start packin'

I do believe that ALL PISTOLS have to be registered, so the answer would be no you cannot. You will need a legally registered pistol before you carry.....
    Eric

There were NO Guns used to take over the flights on 9-11, IT STILL HAPPENED

Wake up Americans - GUN CONTROL - Means WE LOOSE

Just a suggestion - if any kind of incident happened with your carry firearm, law enforcement would likely check its registration. Personally, I want everything I carry to be all legal and registered to me.

Senior Moderator
    I do believe that ALL PISTOLS have to be registered, so the answer would be no you cannot. You will need a legally registered pistol before you carry.....
    WRONG !

Unless the state of Alabama requires it to be registered then you should be able to. There is no national requirement for registration. There are a few states that require it.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    WRONG !

Unless the state of Alabama requires it to be registered then you should be able to. There is no national requirement for registration. There are a few states that require it.
    +1, There is no law in OK that guns have to be registered.

I think DrCMG is from Alabama, he can answer this in full.
    Curry

Yes you can. You can apply for a permit even if you do not own a gun. Alabama does not require handguns to be registered.

VIP Member
    BCurry1, your wish is my command.

There is no such thing as firearms registration in Alabama. Only firearms bought from a dealer even have any paperwork on them. The dealer is required by federal law to keep his record as long as he is a dealer and then turn them over to BATF when he ceases operations. These records contain only the date of transfer, the info on the firearm and the name and address of the purchaser.

The form used to apply for a "pistol permit" as it is called in Alabama varies from county to county. Many counties, but not all, ask for information about one handgun. The info they request is caliber, make, model and serial number. There is no limitation to carrying that particular handgun. I personally think the question is sort of stupid and evidently the sheriff's of some counties think so too since they don't have that question on their apps.

By the way the handgun I listed on my app is my Smith & Wesson model 439 9mm. My wife bought it for me for Christmas in 1992. She bought it from her brother-in-law who is a deputy sheriff in Dallas County, AL. We were living in New Orleans, LA at the time. Her brother-in-law had bought it from a FBI agent who was an instructor at the FBI Academy. Her BIL bought it while he was in the FBI Academy which is in Quantico, VA. The FBI agent bought it new, but I don't know where. As far as I know the only record of the pistol ever being sold is the one where the FBI agent bought it. My wife's BIL bought it face to face without even a bill of sale. My wife bought it from her BIL face to face without bill of sale. I got it as a Christmas present. It is listed on my pistol permit.

Having said all that the answer is: Yes, you can get a pistol permit with an unregistered gun.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I got my first permit in Alabama BEFORE I owned a gun. I had been looking and trying to decide on which handgun to buy and before I could decide I went on in and got my permit. It was a couple weeks later before I made my first purchase and I could "wear it out" as I already had my permit.
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop
    I got my first permit in Alabama BEFORE I owned a gun.
    Ditto for me in PA.

In PA, unlike some other states, there is no firearm "attached" to your permit, and no restriction on how many you can carry with that permit. Firearms are not registered. Of course, if you buy from a dealer, there is the requisite background check.

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

NJ was a real pain for handgun purchasing, you have to apply for a "permit to purchase" at your local police dept, they run loads of background checks, write to your references etc, then finally they issue the permit anything from a couple of weeks to 6 months later.
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

Links