CCW while driving in Ohio with an unaware relative

This is a discussion on CCW while driving in Ohio with an unaware relative within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The title pretty much sums it up. I was driving back from Illinois (didn't carry), through Indiana (put it back on) and eventually through Ohio. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW while driving in Ohio with an unaware relative

The title pretty much sums it up.

I was driving back from Illinois (didn't carry), through Indiana (put it back on) and eventually through Ohio.

I had a relative in the car who doesn't know I carry, and the following scenario occurred to me:

I get pulled over in Ohio. Because it's a duty-to-inform state, the relative finds out I'm carrying at the same time the cop does.

The news is likely to fluster my relative. This relative might not even be aware it's legal.

What if, to add to that, the cop reacts poorly, draws down, etc.?

With the unexpected news/high-stress situation, it seemed to me that there was a risk of my relative (who is not the kind of person to have thought very practically about how to behave during a traffic stop at all) doing something counter-productive, like diving for the glove box to get the registration, perhaps thinking this will "calm things down," show we're all on the up-and-up, etc.

As I thought about this, it occurred to me that—whether carrying or not—it's a good idea for anyone driving with passengers, upon seeing "blue and red flashing deep in the night," to announce calmly and clearly: "We're being pulled over. Everyone sit still and keep your hands where the cop can see them. I and only I will reach for any documents the officer requests." (And, if it's dark, turn on the dome light.)

Just thought I'd share.

So, anyone ever been outed to family/friends in the process of complying with a duty-to-inform rule?

I agree with the sentiment really. If I'm getting pulled over, I'm handling everything. I want as few variables as possible. I trust my family, girlfriend and a couple friends to be cool, but anyone else gets told to shut the heck up and keep their hands visible in their laps.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I've been stopped while carrying with others in the car who didn't know. A majority of LEO's won't react in a manner that would raise awareness to others in the vehicle. In fact, it seemed to me that the officer asked in a manner that led me to believe she wanted to keep the info between her and I. Even if you're "made" to the other person in the car, my main concern at that point is the LEO and dealing with them. I'll worry about what everyone else thinks after the primary situation is settled.

Administrator
    Just hand him your permit along with insurance and license. If he asks if you are armed, nod in the affirmative. He'll probably get the hint and either ask you out of the car or leave it as is. Your passenger will probably never hear him anyway. Assuming your route through Ohio, it will most likely be OSP who stops you if you get stopped at all. OSP is known for their professionalism nationwide, so I wouldnt worry about it to much.
    Here is a hint; do the speed limit when withen 10 miles from state borders.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I admit it,i get pulled over alot.And yes,more people find out then i would like about me carrying.But the real answer hear is...SO? Its your life and your choice.Feel free to explain it to them,but sometimes you have to take a stand for what you know is right.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Just hand him your permit along with insurance and license.
    I don't know why this never occurred to me. This sounds like the best plan.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    I don't know why this never occurred to me. This sounds like the best plan.
    I am not sure if that is sufficient under OH law for notification. It has been discussed on the Ohioans for concealed carry and it has been hit or miss depending on agencies. Some agencies will accpet that, while other officers will make it a point that he was not verbally notified. We need to rid ourselves of this law, the bad guys surely are not going to tell the cop that he is armed, and if the OH LEO runs my OH license plate, he will already know I have a permit.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

1. Drive the speed limit/make sure all lights are working properly - don't get pulled over.

2. I stopped along I-70 (son was puking in the back)....5 minutes later, OSP pulled up behind me, was on the radio (probably called my plates in), stepped out and asked if I was OK...I went to give him my DL and permit...he said "not a problem...do you need any help?" ... "No sir, just cleaning up my son" Son: "I puked" Trooper left.

BTW...for those who say "He called in your plate, so he already knew you were armed"...highly unlikely...my vehicle was registered in IL, and I have a VA resident permit.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Keep in mind, Ohio is a "duty to inform" state. Meaning you must tell any officer that approaches you in any situation that you have a gun. Infact, it has to be the first words out of your mouth. One of the local cops was telling me this the other day. He told me of a citizen in Ohio that didn't tell the cop he was carrying until 40 seconds into the conversation on a traffic stop. That man is now doing 10 years in prison for not telling the cop.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Keep in mind, Ohio is a "duty to inform" state. Meaning you must tell any officer that approaches you in any situation that you have a gun. Infact, it has to be the first words out of your mouth. One of the local cops was telling me this the other day. He told me of a citizen in Ohio that didn't tell the cop he was carrying until 40 seconds into the conversation on a traffic stop. That man is now doing 10 years in prison for not telling the cop.
    Sounds dubious....

IIRC, the law doesn't set a timeline on when you notify the LEO....Not doubting your story, its just a stupid thing to take away one's civil liberties over a silly rule. The person in question (as alluded to in the story) attempted to comply with the law, but the LEO decided he wasn't told soon enough, so he arrested him?

Why is it VA State Police and LEOs in VA (and other "no duty to inform" states) manage to not have a problem?

SIXTO? Can you shed some light on this?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Well, here's the ORC:

"If a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as the result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun."

I suppose handing the LEO your carry license "informs" him, but I'd highly recommend verbally informing immediately (even if you must talk over the officer) just to be safe. How you handle it with the folks inside the car is tough to call.

Regarding someone receiving a 10 year sentence for failure to inform, I don't think it could be for merely failing to inform - I believe that's only a first degree misdemeanor.

However, I do recall someone being arrested for failing to notify, when he hesitated to do so for around 40-50 seconds into the stop. Just depends on who stops you, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    The person in question (as alluded to in the story) attempted to comply with the law, but the LEO decided he wasn't told soon enough, so he arrested him??
    That's what I was told. I tried looking up the story on the internet, but couldn't find anything. If it is true, it's quite frightening.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    This will put the officer on edge, but is there any real harm in telling and then asking him, officer I am legally in possesion of my firearm, if possible, i would like to continue this conversation out of earshot of my family, I have nothing to hide from you, but I would rather not wake my mom/grandma/uncle/stepbrother up because they are not aware I carry
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    SIXTO? Can you shed some light on this?
    Yup. While Ohio certainly is a inform state, there is no way somebody is serving ten years for not informing. It is a misdemeanor crime, which does not carry prison time. At the very most, it would be six months in county jail, but you would have to pee in the judges wheaties to get that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Just hand him your permit along with insurance and license. ....
    This wouldn't work in NC since it required you notify (verbally) first and then if asked provide the permit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links