Defensive Carry banner

Gun while hiking

6K views 27 replies 26 participants last post by  Roy McC 
#1 ·
So I'm thinking about next years hiking trip. We stay at a mountain top lodge overnight which is many trail miles from the car. This lodge puts you up in private but unlocked cabins, serves you dinner and breakfast, then you hike down the next day. I would like to bring my gun with me (all laws allow me to do so)....but here is the problem: we tend to drink a lot a night while there...a lot. While drinking I don't want to have my gun with me....but I don't want to leave it in an unlocked cabin in my pack. My only idea is to unload the gun and keep it with me, and leave the clips with ammo unattended. Does this make sense? Any other ideas? I really want to have the gun with me while hiking (and sober). I guess I could leave it locked in the car....cause the I KNOW the bourbon is coming with me :smile:.

#2 ·
Sometimes one has to make tough decisions. Do you want to get drunk or be safe ? Can you drink in moderation, a drink or two ? Sorry but when you carry you have to make tough decisions.
Best of luck and let us know your decision.
Semper Fi

#7 ·
I agree. Either you don't drink, or you don't carry. That's my advice.

#5 ·
It wouldn't be a problem in my crowd but generally speaking booze parties and guns are a bad combination. If you are apprehensive about the people you will be with or your own behavior under the influence for god's sake leave the gun locked up somewhere.

#8 ·
I agree. Either you don't drink, or you don't carry. That's my advice.
+100:hand10:

this :shootin: plus this :018: = :dead:

If you want to carry, try this instead: :pepsi:

#10 ·
Pick one....gun or alcohol. If you don't trust yourself (or others who imbibe), pick one or the other. When you have both, those stories are the ones we read about in the paper (or post in the section: In the News: Good, Bad, and Ugly)

#13 ·
I had some posters that were given away back in the late fifties. GUN POWDER AND ALCOHOL DON'T MIX. They were given away by Segram's. I've always remembered that. Words to live by.

#14 ·
A drink or two, I wouldn't worry, a few more...well, I'd lock the gun away. If you're planning on a night of partying...leave the gun at home.

#18 ·
but here is the problem: we tend to drink a lot a night while there...a lot. While drinking I don't want to have my gun with me....but I don't want to leave it in an unlocked cabin in my pack.
"Drinking" for me is something in which the social setting is the thrill. I can still get that with diet cola or iced tea, un-sexy though that might seem to some. At the cost of being nabbed as the designated driver at most events, I remain armed, rational, get to better enjoy the company of my friends, and remain able to avoid car wrecks. Not a bad way to play it, if you're willing. Friends will be willing.

#20 ·
Bring a Center of Mass Gun safe. It's not expensive and it's not heavy and will give you peace of mind. :wink:

#22 ·
We are a bunch of friends in our 40's sitting around a fire, drinking and telling dirty jokes, not really a situation where anything would get out of hand, gun or not....That being said I will take the gun out of the equation using the lockbox idea and still be able to have it the 42 of the 48 hours I'm in the woods and sober. Thanks guys for all the ideas guys!

#23 ·
I don't see any issue with locking the gun down if you plan to go have a few drinks. A good lock-box cabled to a secure location should do the trick. Lock the gun up in that and keep the MAGAZINES (clips are for hair, magazines are for guns) elsewhere, possibly locked in the car if it's within a reasonable distance to the cabin. I do most of my drinking at home these days, so i generally don't have to worry about this issue. Obviously, the fact that this is an overnighter is what's making it difficult. If nothing else, overkill it and you should be fine.

#25 ·
If you can limit yourself to a few drinks I wouldn't worry. The thought that alcohol and firearms are mutually exclusive is a childish one. It isn't unusual in Europe for competitors to have a glass of wine or two prior to a match, shoot, and then drink again afterwards. Amazingly enough there doesn't seem to be any drunken rampage shootings there.

If your getting sloppy drunk then some form of lock is required. If you're among friends the box may be a step too far. A cable lock through the magazine well, out the chamber, and around a large object would be safe enough. Keep the magazines wherever you'd like.

#27 ·
I would discretely talk to the proprieter and ask if there is a safe place to hold a valuable item while you are partying. I also like the remove the slide suggestion to make it less pilferable.

I would also think that unless you are with a bunch of totally irresponsible jerks, simply unloading it, removing mags, and tie wrapping it to your holster would work fine. Maybe leave the bullets/mags with the staff.

Lastly, if you are getting totally wasted, then I would question whether you are safe to handle the gun on the hangover morning. It is not like you just wake up fresh as a daisy after a bourbon and bonfire party. Plan for that impairment too.

Interesting post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.