Non-Resident as primary permit

This is a discussion on Non-Resident as primary permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Louisiana. A few people have suggested I get a Non-Resident FL permit instead of the Louisiana permit as it allows concealed carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I live in Louisiana. A few people have suggested I get a Non-Resident FL permit instead of the Louisiana permit as it allows concealed carry in more states than the Louisiana permit.

I was curious if any of you have heard of people having problems doing this. The biggest problem I would see is LEOs not knowing that the states have reciprocity agreements with one another.

Thanks for any info.

VIP Member
    I am in Missouri and I carry a Maine permit. I got it when St. Louis would not honor the law.

Assistant Administrator
    I am wondering tho whether your application for a non-res FL would work without a primary permit in home state. I seem to recall when I got mine I supplied proof (scanned copy maybe) of my PA permit.

They also want proof of training, DD214, or NRA certification etc.

If you go on line to the site - URL forgotten right now - but a search should turn it up - request the package of info they dish out and see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh BTW -

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Florida does not require you to have a ccw from your home state but it would be up to La authorities as to whether they would honor a non-res permit when you live there. You should contact the State Police or whoever issues permits in La to make sure.

Thanks for the info, and the welcome P95Carry.

I will look into it furthur with the state and see what they say.

I have not done much of a search but from the one I did this is all I found concerning out of state permits. It does not differentiate between resident and non-resident out of state permits from what I can see.

T.(1) Possession of a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall constitute sufficient evidence of the background check required pursuant to 18 USC 922(t). A current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by another state shall be deemed to be valid within this state if a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by Louisiana is valid in those states. An out-of-state permit holder carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to this Paragraph is bound by the laws of this state regarding carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued in accordance with this Section.

VIP Member
    Some states do not accept non-resident permits for state residents. I don't know about LA, but Arizona clearly states in their laws that non-resident permits are not recognized for Arizona residents.

Try Handgunlaw.us as a source of good info.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I believe AZ recognizes non-resident permits for AZ residents but it must be a state they have reciprocity agreements with. They will not accept UT or FL for AZ residents. They will accept the states they have agreements with: AK, AR, KY, OH, MI and TX.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ltc-usa
    I believe AZ recognizes non-resident permits for AZ residents but it must be a state they have reciprocity agreements with. They will not accept UT or FL for AZ residents. They will accept the states they have agreements with: AK, AR, KY, OH, MI and TX.
    You are correct, LTC, however none of the states with which Arizona has reciprocity agreements issues a non-resident permit. So rather than dig too deeply into the intricacies of law it is simpler to say that AZ does not accept non-resident permits for AZ residents. To be totally correct one would have to say that after Oct. 25, 2005 AZ stopped recognizing any non-resident permits for AZ residents. Oct. 25, 2005 was the day the reciprocity agreement between AZ and UT was ended.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Thanks. I stand corrected.

I think from the above comments we see how fickle the agreements between states can be. All those residents of AZ who relied on UT or FL for their licenses-the rug was pulled out from under them quite quickly. Best to have the license of the state you are a resident of if you are going to be there a while.

The idea of getting a non-res permit to carry in your own state is a common loophole that's been plugged in most, if not all, states.

Regarding Florida non-res permit, it is NOT necessary to furnish proof of a resident permit in your home state when you apply. However, that is not the case with the New Hampshire non-resident permit I have--they did want a copy of my MN permit with the application.

Quote Originally Posted by myusername
    Thanks for the info, and the welcome P95Carry.

I will look into it furthur with the state and see what they say.

I have not done much of a search but from the one I did this is all I found concerning out of state permits. It does not differentiate between resident and non-resident out of state permits from what I can see.

T.(1) Possession of a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall constitute sufficient evidence of the background check required pursuant to 18 USC 922(t). A current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by another state shall be deemed to be valid within this state if a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by Louisiana is valid in those states. An out-of-state permit holder carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to this Paragraph is bound by the laws of this state regarding carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued in accordance with this Section.
    There may be a gotcha in your state law. The line that reads,
    A current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by another state shall be deemed to be valid within this state if a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by Louisiana is valid in those states.
    Especially the part
    if a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by Louisiana
    The way it reads to me is, You must have a valid LA permit before non-res permits are honored. Just the way I read it.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

I spend most of my time in Indiana, and even if the loophole existed here, I would not use it for the various obivious reason I would be asked---why???
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

VIP Member
    Hey, ltc-usa, no correction, just explanation. I agree that because of the fickleness of the whole permit situation it is always best to have a local permit.

kansas_shooter: I think you are reading the LA law from the wrong perspective. It is saying that LA accepts as valid a permit from another state if the other state accepts those from LA. This is talking about resident permits issued to residents of other states. For example my Alabama permit is valid in LA because AL accepts as valid LA permits. This section does not address non-resident permits at all.

The Louisiana State Police site which gives lots of info on permits does not mention non-resident permits at all. This would indicate that there is no specific info about non-resident permits in the law and not AG opinions have been issued. This would mean that a non-resident permit from a state that has reciprocity with LA would be valid, however, it does not necessarily mean that a non-resident permit from a state with reciprocity would be valid for a resident of LA. In fact this decision would probably have to be made by the courts and unless you have plenty of time and money to invest for court hearings and lawyers you should get a LA permit.
    George

Thanks for the info guys.

KansasShooter, That is Louisiana's reciprocity statement IMO, ie. a FL permit is good in LA if FL allows carry in their state with a LA permit.

The language does not take away the use of Non-Resident permits from other states even for local residents.

I checked around online and from what I can seeMI, FL, SC, NH, WV does not allow you to carry in their state with a non-resident permit from other states. I would assume this would take away reciprocity with other non-resident permit issuing states when it comes to those permits. Since LA does not issue a non-resident permit that would not apply.

I found this article, it is a bit dated. http://www.shreveporttimes.com/assets/pdf/D92445320.PDF

Thanks again for all the info, I am going to research it more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links