Anyone here carry a PX4 Sub-Compact?

This is a discussion on Anyone here carry a PX4 Sub-Compact? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did a search to my surprise am getting no results. Just curious if anyone here carries one. I am absolutely in love with the design ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Anyone here carry a PX4 Sub-Compact?

Did a search to my surprise am getting no results. Just curious if anyone here carries one. I am absolutely in love with the design and am thinking of taking the plunging since im going to do my CCW here in the next week or two.

How well does it conceal? Would it be easy to tuck away during the summer? Any problems with it?

I bought one, not with the intent to carry it. However, once I got it and actualliy carried it a few times ... it was more comfortable and easier to conceal than some of my other guns. I began finding myself carrying it more and more, until it became my main carry gun. Excellent gun, shoots great, and good quality (much better than many).

One thing to remember, it fits into most XD-SC holsters too, but conceals much better than the XD. .
    Chicagobill likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have one that I carry quite a bit. It is a great gun, accurate, no problems, and the trigger is pretty good. During the summer it does leave a bulge under what I am wearing since it is a rather thick gun but people really do not notice. I did get a Kahr K9 that is easier to carry but there is a trade off in magazine capacity. If you like it and it fits, go for it!!
    Chicagobill likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

This gun is on my "to acquire" list. I have held one and shot one now, I think I have shot one anyway. I have a hard time keeping everything I have shot straight in my head. But I definitely want one.
    Chicagobill likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I've had one for over a year and use as CCW. It is a little fat, but carries well in a Galco IWB. A loose T-shirt is enough. It's accurate, controllable and hi-cap. 13 (last round is tight in the magazine) +1. All rounds can be put into a 4" ring at 30'. I do admit that when I first looked at it, I thought it looked a bit like Spaceman Spiff's gun. I got it as my 92FS was a bit too big to carry concealed, and I'd had good experience with Beretta. It'll likely share CCW with a planned Colt Combat Commander vs SA Loaded Champion. (Don't have a .45 yet and those are the 2 left in the running for 'new gun'.)

Get a holster that does not let the gun seat 'too deep' as the smaller grip may keep you from having a full grab if you have a larger hand. The flip down tab on the mag buttplate will help keep the pinkie from sliding over the end and increasing flip. I had a few feed issues when brand new, but that was grip and wristing error on my part. I may try this gun at USPSA when my Fobus OWB arrives.
    Chicagobill likes this.

Had one for a while. Also carried IWB with a Galco. Ended up trading in for a CZ, which just fits me better.

Appreciate the input. Been putting off this CCW thing on hold too long. Seems people are getting more aggressive as time goes on and its reaching a point where i'm no longer 100% content with being unarmed.
    Chicagobill likes this.

I have one and carry it in a CBST. Great gun and very accurate, but don't carry it much anymore because I like carrying my Kahr CW 40. It's much thinner and lighter.
    2 Chr 7:14

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The problems that this gun has are:

1) It is extremely fat and wide

2) It is very heavy for a compact model.

It is even more bulky and heavy than a Para P10-45 Auto

Here is a photo of the PX4 Subcompact on the left, next to a Para P10-45 Auto on the right:

I agree, it is a bit bulky..or stout, hefty, or the dreaded...husky.. I find it has become less and less cumbersome than the first week I owned it. I find quiet reassurance in it's mass. LOL

here's the full article with comparisons.. http://www.concealthis.com/?p=26
    Chicagobill likes this.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I agree that it is a good quality gun. The 3 inch barrel is the only other thing that I don't like about it. A 3.5 inch barrel would have been a better fit, in my opinion.

Beretta is coming out early next year with a new compact model, that might be more practical.

Quote Originally Posted by OtoPA View Post
    I agree, it is a bit bulky..or stout, hefty, or the dreaded...husky.. I find it has become less and less cumbersome than the first week I owned it. I find quiet reassurance in it's mass. LOL
    It's less than an XD-SC or many Glocks, a Beretta 8000, and many other guns that are carried every day.
    Chicagobill likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Agree that it's a bit heavy and bulky, but I CC my Storm Subcompact and love it!

I wear a SERPA Blackhawk holster. While the holster is arguably not the best for CC, it works for me, keeping it secure and not making me feel like I'm lugging a heavy subcompact around.
    Chicagobill likes this.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

I carry one every time I leave the house. Crossbreed supertuck deluxe, Fobus OWB, fanny pack or even in a jacket or pants pocket with a cheap Redhead pocket holster. It's a little chunky, sure, but I love the way it fits my hand and the 13+1 capacity. I just don't like the thin gripped guns, they just don't feel right in my hands. Also love the looks of it and it's accuracy/shoot-ability.
    Chicagobill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    The problems that this gun has are:

1) It is extremely fat and wide

2) It is very heavy for a compact model.

It is even more bulky and heavy than a Para P10-45 Auto

Here is a photo of the PX4 Subcompact on the left, next to a Para P10-45 Auto on the right:

Sorry to bump this ancient thread. It looks wide out of the box but the measurement includes the replacable drop safety levers that are the widest points on the gun. While there is no justification for making them and not including them, the upgrade to the factory "stealth" levers bring the PX4sc down to within a tenth of an inch of Glock width.

I'm not sure where you're getting heavy from either. A Glock 26 sets the weight standard at 23 ounces with an unloaded magazine. The PX4 sits only two ounces heavier and almost a half inch shorter.

I admit to being a rabid fanboy of this particular weapon, but the value of this pistol cannot be beat for what you can steal one for these days. When Sig Sauer, CZ and especially HK are pushing $1000 with their comparable but lower capacity and mostly heavier options, the PX4 Subcompact can often be found new under $450. And what exactly does the pocket hammer-fired competition bring to the table along with their aforementioned deficits? Well, the HK P30sk comes with a DA pull that makes staple guns feel crisp along with a cheap looking polymer trigger that flexes so much on the squeeze that it feels like it might just snap off. Sig's P224 makes the Storm look like a single stack in by comparison with more unwanted slop in the trigger than the Beretta. I don't have anything bad to say about the Rami but it just isn't worth an extra $300 for a gun that I like as much as my $400 piece.

And I haven't even discussed the ability to get a full purchase on a pistol too small to support your pinky. So may people credit the stainless bull barrel for the Storm SC's accuracy against pistols in its class. While they might not be completely wrong, I'm more inclined to believe that a large part of it has to do with the purchase real estate provided by the most simple, obvious mechanism ever devised.

Now, I didnt throw the Beretta or any of the hammer-fired guns I just mentioned in the ring with the striker wondernines purposely. While they all fall under the umbrella of ccw choises, the difference in action represents two different trains of thought. The striker vs hammer argument is the same as the AK/AR battle. On one side, you have precision instruments that will consistently meet or exceed expectations but come with the need for regular maintenance and cleaning. On the other side, you generally have an adequately combat-accurate, generally cap gun like trigger pull. They are built with such simplicity and loose tolerances that malfunctions are rendered all but impossible even after several thousand rounds of ammo without a cleaning.
    My trigger snobbery just won't allow me to carry a striker gun when I can get a 3 pound, super-short SA pull with a hammer (and some polishing). The catch 22 is that even if a striker gun could mimic that pull, I sure as hell wouldn't want to try to holster a 3 pound trigger with no safety and no take up.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by OD*; April 27th, 2017 at 01:26 PM.
    Chicagobill likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links