Cold-Weather Carry

This is a discussion on Cold-Weather Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone give me information or locations on where I can find information regarding cold-weather carry? I live in Montana and while not thought to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold-Weather Carry

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana

Cold-Weather Carry

Can anyone give me information or locations on where I can find information regarding cold-weather carry?
    I live in Montana and while not thought to be dangerous, I still feel the need to protect myself and my family. I don't want to compromise my family's safety just because I have to put a heavier coat on due to inclement weather. Any information is greatly appreciated.
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

2. Remove Ads

Cold-Weather Carry
    If you've got to conceal by law......in my opinion, there's plenty of more options available with cold weather than warm weather carry simply because of cover. If I lived in Montana and was acclimated to the conditions, I might carry three pistols. I've done it before right here in the home state wearing coveralls in near zero temps. Layer your CC just like you'd layer your clothing from outside to inside. If you're going with one CC, put it in between and have quick access. I'll almost guarantee that Korea will be colder than Montana. I've been to Korea but never to Montana. CC wasn't an issue for me in Korea so much as feeling my fingers to pull the trigger if I had to.
    Adapt to your environment the best way you can IMO. Your environment can work for you or against you. Your mind will make up for whatever is lacking. IMO....don't over-think things.

What Ram Rod said,or you could just open carry.Love your PX4 and knife combo in the picture!

Cold weather gear=carry anything

I can carry all sorts of silly stuff in cold weather. I love cold weather anyway, but with my handy dandy CCDW in the gorgeous State of Kentucky, I could carry a shotgun, two AR15s, a gallon-and-a-half tank of pepper spray, a weed-wacker, a disgruntled IRS auditor, about four cricket bats, a dozen knives, and a rabid squirrel named "Cleatus". AND NEVER BREAK ANY LAW.

I love Kentucky winters...

Sorry. My point is that the "sky's the limit" on carrying in the winter. Relax and have fun!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    Cold weather gear=carry anything

I can carry all sorts of silly stuff in cold weather. I love cold weather anyway, but with my handy dandy CCDW in the gorgeous State of Kentucky, I could carry a shotgun, two AR15s, a gallon-and-a-half tank of pepper spray, a weed-wacker, a disgruntled IRS auditor, about four cricket bats, a dozen knives, and a rabid squirrel named "Cleatus". AND NEVER BREAK ANY LAW.

I love Kentucky winters...
    I'm diggin' it.. CCS - Carry Concealed Squirrel.. Although Open Carry might be the way to go with that one!
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Distinguished Member
    I ran into this issue last night. I was wearing a untucked button down shirt for the first time last night as concealment (I've always worn a t-shirt before) and that was a little more clumsy due to it's extra length but with some quick practice I would get to my weapon ok. The real issue came into play when I put on my outside coat. I was wearing this Carhartt (http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryId=10928) Carhartt and with it zipped up there was no getting to my firearm quickly. I'd have to give it a good yank with my weak hand and hope I get the cover shirt at the same time. I'm now considering taking it to a tailor and having them add a zipper on the side.

It's just going to get worse when I wear my heavier winter coat.

Quote Originally Posted by evilmonk View Post
    cold weather gear=carry anything

i can carry all sorts of silly stuff in cold weather. I love cold weather anyway, but with my handy dandy ccdw in the gorgeous state of kentucky, i could carry a shotgun, two ar15s, a gallon-and-a-half tank of pepper spray, a weed-wacker, a disgruntled irs auditor, about four cricket bats, a dozen knives, and a rabid squirrel named "cleatus". and never break any law.

I love kentucky winters...

Sorry. My point is that the "sky's the limit" on carrying in the winter. Relax and have fun!
    roflmao...:)

[QUOTE=EvilMonk;1813932]Cold weather gear=carry anything

That's hilarious! I'm in good ole KY too...it is nice to be free. I'm not sure I could fit all that in my coat...but at least it isn't illegal. LOL!
    May the name of Christ be exalted in all things,
    Colleene Barnett
    Keeping the Piece: Ladies Only Concealed Carry and Basic Pistol Training
    www.KeepingthePiece.com
    Looking for a clever gift for the lady shooters in your life?
    http://www.zazzle.com/keepingthepiec...51718878453391

Cool

I am heading up to Maryland this week and the temp will be in the mid 40's daytime and mid 30's at night. After living in Florida for the past 30 plus years that is like the artic. I have a nice heavy thermal lined jacket that has nice outer pockets that let me pocket carry my Diamondback .380 BUG in a High Noon Pocket Pal holster so that I can put a hand on it and it just looks like everyone else trying to keep warm. The G-23 is a little slower to access being under the jacket.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Watch out, Old School. Maryland will throw you in jail for carrying. I live close to the MD/WV border and have to be careful not to drive into MD, as they honor no permits and do not let people carry.

Old School falls under LEOSA.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I too love the Kentucky winters. A good pancake holster and my N frame 44 spl is easy to conceal with a simple fleece pull over.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I layer my defense, usually in winter when wearing a heavier coat, i wear a shoulder rig and leave the coat half open, then all i have to do is draw like normal from my rig, if its on my hip, i just lift the jacket like i would a shirt, the key is to not wear something with a cinched waist. It takes practice, but I can even draw from a coverall snow suit out of a shoulder rig
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

If north in the winter (not done often), it's just my regular IWB or a an OWB with my Glock...and perhaps a KelTec in the coat pocket, too.
    Not much changes, and for short periods outside my coat is probably not buttoned anyway.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cool

Thanks for your concern WvHiker and thank you Guantes for your imput.
    Last edited by Old School; November 29th, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links