Oklahoma State Students Demand Right to Carry Concealed

This is a discussion on Oklahoma State Students Demand Right to Carry Concealed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After an OSU student was robbed and shot just off campus earlier this week, other students are demanding an end to the University's ban on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma State Students Demand Right to Carry Concealed

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Oklahoma State Students Demand Right to Carry Concealed

After an OSU student was robbed and shot just off campus earlier this week, other students are demanding an end to the University's ban on concealed carry by students:

See this news report:

http://www.ksbitv.com/news/OSU-Shoot...107330633.html

2. Remove Ads

Good luck to them. I hope they get the policy changed.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Good for them. I hope they get OSU's policy changed.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

The University of Oregon where I live also has a similar ban.

We had two coeds assaulted on the campus over this past weekend by a man fitting the same description. Fortunately, both women were able to successfully fight the man off, and managed to escape, before being kidnapped or raped.

Still, any would-be rapist in our area knows the following:

1) The campus has lots of young women to prey on.

2) They are all unarmed.

No other place in town offers better hunting grounds to these sexual predators. And it is partly the government's fault.

GM
    I wish SCCC good luck, but I doubt it will happen.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    I hope the kids get their way. After a couple years it will seem like no big thing. When they join the work force though they may have to abide by a no weapons office policy.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    This is a rock and a hard place for any student, and parents of, especially daughters entering college years.

My nephew is attending U of D Mercy here in Detroit, and While the campus is remarkable and well kept, the surounding neighborhood getting to the campus, is an abomination.
    They have had Roberries, and the like ON campus but the dean and security feel that as long as they are providing a REASONABLE amount of security, and they themselves FEEL secure, Oh well!

What more can you expect from these liberal idiots that run these Indoctrination centers.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your
    own gun."His Holiness, the XIV Dalai Lama
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

the question i have for the college communications director is "Sir why did the police not stop the man from shooting the student?" The directors argument would then consume itself.

@fox2102 Ask here

But remember, logic doesn't carry much weight with school administrator types...

Kind of puts things in perspective on your second amendment rights. Policy is MUCH stronger than the constitution. What the hell is wrong with this picture.

I am one of those school administrator types. I can tell you that I've not met one other administrator on campus that supports concealed carry. Just as in the greater society, there is a stigma about guns that is simpy too difficult to overcome. I wish these students luck, but they have a difficult road ahead.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazard123 View Post
    Kind of puts things in perspective on your second amendment rights. Policy is MUCH stronger than the constitution. What the hell is wrong with this picture.
    Policy is the basis of all law. Read some history. Common Law, morals of the day, an agreement between governors and influence of certain other persons was the basis of our constitution. Go back further in history for more understanding. The ten commandments are a good example of policy. They were unwritten laws since the dawn of civilization. It was not until the 15th century that they were printed.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

The other problem is that many universities only have a campus security force, and not an actual police force. So not only are potential victims unarmed, but even the security force that is protecting the campus cannot carry guns either! What can a security guard armed only with chemical mace do against a criminal armed with a handgun?

There is a move here in Oregon, though, to change that, and allow our state universities to have an actual police force on campus.

There are some here, though, that even opposed to doing that!

Although these two attacks last weekend are being used by proponents to help argue in support of implementing a campus police force here.

Quote Originally Posted by KSCarry View Post
    I am one of those school administrator types. I can tell you that I've not met one other administrator on campus that supports concealed carry. Just as in the greater society, there is a stigma about guns that is simpy too difficult to overcome. I wish these students luck, but they have a difficult road ahead.
    Although a faculty member, not an administrator, I would echo this. There is a general stigma and ignorance when it comes to guns that is hard to overcome. Some if it may be the dreaded "liberals running their indoctrination centers" but remember that the state law (at least here) allows the university to make this decision - yes, the school could adopt a different policy, but the legislature could also address this, differentiate universities from other public schools.

I think more of it is simply everyday folks who cannot overcome the illogic of guns equal violence. They think the presence of a gun will lead to violence where none would have existed otherwise (the "weapons effect"), that the gun is an actor in itself, not a tool. They ignore the fact that those who would do violence do not care about policy. I think a lot of it is also parents and universities who want to believe that the campus is a bastion of good and right and should be a shelter against the rest of the world; but they end up creating a target-rich environment.

I do not see this happening by action at the campus level...it needs to be addressed by state legislatures. I am not sure they have the will for it either.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

The amazing part is that liberals can honestly not make the connection that all of the massacres occur in gun-free zones (schools, post offices, etc.).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links