polished metal frame vs black

This is a discussion on polished metal frame vs black within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wondering if anyone carries a stainless or polished framed pistol like a 1911 and occasionally feels the shiny metal would give them away more easily? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: polished metal frame vs black

Wondering if anyone carries a stainless or polished framed pistol like a 1911 and occasionally feels the shiny metal would give them away more easily?

Thinking about having one of my 1911s sent out to be coated in something black.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Wondering if anyone carries a stainless or polished framed pistol like a 1911 and occasionally feels the shiny metal would give them away more easily?

Thinking about having one of my 1911s sent out to be coated in something black.
    I carry a stainless slide P220 once in a while, but I'm carrying it concealed. It's also more of a brushed finish and not really shiny like a polished or nickel plated piece would be. As for now with my limited open carry options in another state, I still like to make less of an impact on my environment, and that usually means black on black for me with open carry. Shiny pistols a 'giveaway'? Less 'tactical' perhaps? Well, it may all be in our own minds when it comes to carrying concealed. Open carry may be a different story. We should feel the most comfortable we can while doing either. If it's making that big of an impact for you and your carry, then do what you need to do. Personally, I'd save my money. Having your particular shiny pistol de-shine-atized may even diminish it's value.

Ex Member
    Unless you are doing night assassinations in the jungle I think it is a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Unless you are doing night assassinations in the jungle I think it is a moot point.
    Every once in a while I sort of envy the simplicity of some replies I can't seem to think of myself at the time. I may tend to over-think things myself.

Ayoob discusses this in one of his books. Addresses that some prefer the more discreet concealment of black while some prefer the undeniable GUN effect when a shiny weapon is drawn. Moves on to add that this could be discussed to no end and that it's simply a matter of preference.

My preference is to be as discreet as possible. Black belt, black holster, black gun.

I have no experience in this but I'm a little skeptical about altering the factory finish of a gun...
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Every once in a while I sort of envy the simplicity of some replies I can't seem to think of myself at the time. I may tend to over-think things myself.
    You had good, well made points.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

I'm glad this thread got started, good discussions. I guess I generally prefer black in case a gust of wind blows my cover shirt open: black gun in a black holster against dark jeans is less likely to be noticed from a brief flash. At least that's what I tell myself (I can be an over-thinker also) as it hasn't happened yet. But that doesn't stop me from getting stainless steel. The Taurus 740 I have was available in blued or stainless, and I chose the stainless for less maintenance and convinced myself that it won't accidentally show, etc. As far as being at some tactical disadvantage, perhaps, but I'd have to be in a pretty heinous situation for that to come into play and would likely have bigger problems than my gun being silver.
    Glock 23
    Ruger SP101 2.25"
    Taurus 740 Slim
    Diamondback DB380

I sometimes carry my SS Combat Commander. No one sees it unless there is an issue.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I carried a SS CZ 75 before I downsized to a black CZ P01. Never really thought much about it. I did find the SS to easier to conceal when I wore a white Tshirt.

VIP Member
    If your CC'ing it is a moot point. The gun won't be seen until you need to present it. OC'ing is a different story.

For years My carry gun was black, CC or OC. I had few people notice and say something, but not many. A couple of months ago I switched platforms. I went from carrying a CZ75 P-06 or P-01 to a Dan Wesson 1911 CBOB, which is stainless steel. Since switching I have had many more people notice and comment on the gun. The comments have not been critical, most have been people asking me what it was.

For me, the confidence in the gun outweighs any possible disadvantage that someone is seeing it .
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Cool

I like black guns. That said I had a Hi-Power years ago with a blued slide and bright nickle frame and that was a real pretty gun. My Ruger SP-101 sometimes does CC duty. I really don't think about someone seeing my CC guns. No one ever does.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

All my 1911's are stainless (bead blasted, not polished). I've never had an issue about being "made" because of the silver color.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i like a two toned silver myself, I have a Sigma 9mm with a matte black finish and a shine free stainless that i absolutely love, its nice, the slide looks good, its easy to carry, but its not flashy, my 1911 has a black slide and grip with a silver frame. I do not feel that either gun gives me a significant disadvantage over my all black springfield, it may make my gun easier to spot while carrying but if i need it, i don't care what color it is as long as it shoots accurately and error free
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I'll carry a Taurus Model 85, concealed hammer, stainless steel, in an IWB holster and covered by clothing. I don't foresee the stainless being a problem.

GM
    I like blued guns better, but IMO it is easier to take care of stainless ones. I have both, I carry both.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links