Are revolvers making a comeback on TV and in the movies?

This is a discussion on Are revolvers making a comeback on TV and in the movies? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I happened to notice a movie trailer and a TV show this past week that featured revolvers. On the TV show Blue Bloods, Tom Selleck's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are revolvers making a comeback on TV and in the movies?

Are revolvers making a comeback on TV and in the movies?

I happened to notice a movie trailer and a TV show this past week that featured revolvers.
    On the TV show Blue Bloods, Tom Selleck's character was facing down a rapist that had taken his daughter hostage. He produces a revolver, which I believe was a short barreled (snub nose) and dispatches the rapist with a head shot. His character is the Chief of Police of New York and here he is carrying a revolver?

The movie trailer is for "Faster" with Dwyane Johnson. In the trailer there are several close ups focusing on his revolver. I assume it's a large caliber, from the heavy look of it. I would guess maybe a 44 special, but am just guessing.

2. Remove Ads

I have done away with tv, but I would like to think they are making a comeback. On screen, I think revolvers are more attention grabbing than autos, at least for me. A big shiny revolver aimed directly into the camera where you can see the bullets in the cylinder is certainly a visual to remember.

I think part of it has to do with some of the "cooler" looking designs that have come out lately. The Judge being used in Max Payne (awful movie) comes to mind. I saw the previews for faster, I'm pretty sure it is a bigger revolver than a .44. In Sin City Bruce Willis carried a big revolver too. I think it just works for cops in movies and tv because it reminds people of "the man" Inspector Harry Callahan
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Anything that stops Hollywood from having characters emphasize their point by racking the slide of a semi-automatic (empty) is welcome in my book.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Or racking a shotgun, especially when it's LEOs involved.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the expendables...sly stallone backup fanning the hammer on multiple targets....

Concealed carry issue?

Things that are deemed "classic" tend to come back into style and a revolver has that classic air about it.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The j-frame 38 ( Models 36, 60 et al) are called "Chiefs Special". Most LEO agencies require carrying of a badge and weapon even while off duty. Many used to issue a model 10 or 15 4" for duty and a model 36 for off duty/backup. For someone who is not a "front line" cop, they are a lot easier to carry, even open carry.

Sponsor
    The last episode of "Blue Bloods" showed the chief putting a round in the forehead of a BG with his J-frame. Tom Selleck made a great shot.

www.TigerHolsterSystems.com www.TigerRacingProducts.com
    Tiger Holster Systems
    Peace of Mind at Arms Reach

Doesn't the Sheriff, the main character on Walking Dead carry a Python? Large revolver of some sort.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

This is one of the reasons I like big, stainless revolvers - they are very obviously handguns. You point a 686 at somebody, they are gonna know flat-out that they're staring down the barrel of a mean weapon. A Kel-Tec may be just as potentially lethal, but the BG might think you're holding a cell phone.

That doesn't matter if you're going to pull the trigger, but if brandishment has an outside chance of working, then there is something to be said for big, badass guns. This is one of the reasons I got the Ruger with the stainless slide. The all-black model has some "stealth" characteristics, which many favor. But I want my handgun to say "gun" to the person looking at it.

So. While the all-black auto brick guys might take offense (and if so, my apologies), Hollywood does understand that a large frame revolver is visually imposing and there aren't many semi-autos that can say the same. Some 1911s have that quality, true, but still, pointing a revolver, thumbing back the hammer, the cylinder rotating, the clicking noise, those are some of the positives you get for the tradeoff of fewer rounds.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I'm thinking that the revolver that Dwayne Johnson is using in that movie is the Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull.

I'm also thinking that in some departments those people who have been around for a long time and who have moved up the ranks kind of get grandfathered in so they can use what they carried when they were beat cops.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    Doesn't the Sheriff, the main character on Walking Dead carry a Python? Large revolver of some sort.
    I have noticed this too. LeftofMars you're right, in The Walking Dead, the lead character is a former sheriff deputy and his duty gun (and primary method of zombie dispatch) is a .357 Colt Python.

On a side note. If you like zombie movies you have to watch this show! It is sweet.
    "The sheep hate the sheepdog almost as much as the wolf until a wolf shows up."

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    I'm thinking that the revolver that Dwayne Johnson is using in that movie is the Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull.

I'm also thinking that in some departments those people who have been around for a long time and who have moved up the ranks kind of get grandfathered in so they can use what they carried when they were beat cops.
    You are correct on make, model, and caliber of revolver shown in the trailer.

wyo-man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links