"Concealed Weapons Prohibited"

This is a discussion on "Concealed Weapons Prohibited" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Robbers, you're too late. The Government got here first! Robbery not permitted on the premises. No Loitering, Littering or Looting. No illegal firearms allowed. Illegal ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Concealed Weapons Prohibited"

Robbers, you're too late. The Government got here first!

Robbery not permitted on the premises.

No Loitering, Littering or Looting.

No illegal firearms allowed.

Illegal firearms not permitted on the premises.

Illegal handling of weapons prohibited.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Rob at your own risk

Don't rob us....you may get shot

Criminals not welcome
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

GM
    In FL signs mean nothing, but you still will find them.
    Last edited by GM; November 30th, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

MO may be an open carry state, but finding places where you can is getting harder and harder. Most of the major municipalities have banned open carry.

Again, the signs mean nothing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
    MO may be an open carry state, but finding places where you can is getting harder and harder. Most of the major municipalities have banned open carry.

Again, the signs mean nothing.
    Thank goodness for STATE PREEMPTION!
    I really feel bad for all of you who live in such restrictive states. Perhaps you should start working on our representatives to get a bill together for state preemption. Just a thought.

BTW: Signs mean nothing in Utah as well.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SigHawk View Post
    (many states allow building owners to take away your Second Amendment right with the simple posting of this type of sign).
    Building owners are not "taking away your second amendment rights". As a homeowner, I have the right to demand you not carry a weapon on my property or in my home. Your second amendment "rights" don't trump the rights of a private property owner to set the rules for a place they own. If I run a business out of my property, there are somewhat different laws that regulate what I can or cannot do with my property.

...and as someone else posted, these signs have nothing to do with crime prevention. They are not "stupid". They are there simply for liability purposes. If you understood business liability insurance, you'd at least know why they are posted.

I am not saying I would do the same, but don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Building owners are not "taking away your second amendment rights". As a homeowner, I have the right to demand you not carry a weapon on my property or in my home. Your second amendment "rights" don't trump the rights of a private property owner to set the rules for a place they own. If I run a business out of my property, there are somewhat different laws that regulate what I can or cannot do with my property.

...and as someone else posted, these signs have nothing to do with crime prevention. They are not "stupid". They are there simply for liability purposes. If you understood business liability insurance, you'd at least know why they are posted.

I am not saying I would do the same, but don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.
    I absolutely agree with you, so I need to clarify my OP. I guess what I really meant was that in this case, the mall is open to the public (unlike a home), and I generally think of public places as being locations where I can exercise my rights. I think I got a little too general in my rant, but because you don't usually see signs on people's houses that say "No Guns," I didn't think it was necessary to specifically exclude homes from my post.

I never claimed that my 2A rights trump those of the homeowner. Yes, home owners (and business owners) can choose whether or not to allow you to carry on their property, which I agree with, but that doesn't change the fact that they CAN indeed "take away" (legally) your right to carry while on their property. As you said, this right does not trump the homeowner's rights, and I agree whole heartedly, but the fact remains that your Second Amendment rights CAN be taken away OR permitted on private property. Your 2A rights don't simply go away when you enter private property - it's the property owner's choice.

As far as understanging business liability insurance, I am a small business owner and completely understand liabilty. I think you are making a broad assumption to say that the only reason those signs are posted are for liability purposes. I agree that this may be true in many cases, but I am specifically talking about businesses that post these signs as a crime prevention measure (and with all the sheep out there, you know this is the motivation for many people to post these signs).

So hopefully with that the facts are strightened out and my original message is a little clearer. Sorry if anyone else was confused. On with the ranting!
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    elected politicians protect them from freedom.
    There, I fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Same in MN. If they post a compliant sign AND you are asked to leave, you can only be ticketed if you refuse. Even then, it is a petty misdemeanor.
    And doesn't endanger your license?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Same in MN. If they post a compliant sign AND you are asked to leave, you can only be ticketed if you refuse. Even then, it is a petty misdemeanor.
    In Texas, if one carries where there is a legal sign up (30.06), they would be in trouble if they were caught & more than just ticketed, even without being asked to leave.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    I live in a state where it is illegal to carry in an establishment with a license to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises. Yet Buffalo Wild wings still feels the need to post corporate a no firearms sign.
    I don't think it's a corporate policy, maybe it's a regional thing. The Buffalo Wild Wings near me aren't posted.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

In MO , most of those signs are not of legal size or font . They are posted for the anti or sheep in the store , so as not to offend anyone . The signs must be 11x14 with letters 1 inch tall , posted at a certain height . The signs are for the sheep, not legally CCW , as stated before all they can do is ask you to leave . Public transportation and federal buildings are different story , you can not carry in these places .

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    I live in a state where it is illegal to carry in an establishment with a license to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises. Yet Buffalo Wild wings still feels the need to post corporate a no firearms sign.
    The signs were removed in at least one of the BWW in Wichita Ks. Not sure it is corporate that requires the posting.

My BWW in CO is not posted. Signs carry no weight of law in CO. Its basically between you and the owner. If they ask you to leave (for any reason) you must leave. Most places have removed the signs in CO. Only ones lft are hard-core corp. policy places. Like Jared's Jewelery, many large employers not open to the public, etc. Some malls have it in their by-laws or small rules at one entrance. Even Tuesday Morning's in Castle Rock removed their signs. I think they may have a corp policy stating they must have signage and the local manager removed it.

In CO we see a few intentionally deceptive signs at DIA, Denver Zoo, Light Rail, some city buildings, city parks, etc. They say things like no firearms except those authorized by law.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links