Driving from South FL to Ft. Benning, GA

This is a discussion on Driving from South FL to Ft. Benning, GA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Later this week, I will be driving from Florida to Georgia to attend my brother's graduation from Army Basic Training. I will be staying in ...

Thread: Driving from South FL to Ft. Benning, GA

Driving from South FL to Ft. Benning, GA

Later this week, I will be driving from Florida to Georgia to attend my brother's graduation from Army Basic Training. I will be staying in a hotel in Columbus, GA for 2 days. I have my Florida CWL.

What differences should I be aware of between Florida and Georgia concealed carry law? Please do not point me to handgunlaw.us. I am looking for first-hand accounts of those who travel/have traveled between the two states.

I know I can not carry at the Fort or even have a weapon in the car. I plan on leaving it behind in the hotel room's safe. Other than that, what should I know? Do "no guns" signs carry legal weight in GA? What about carrying at restaurants that serve alcohol? Please chime in if you have valuable input.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

I was in Georgia a few months back. I don't remember specifics of the differences. Mostly they were the same. If it helps you here is their Law that was modified sometime over the summer I believe.

Signs in Georgia don't hold any legal value. If found out to be carrying and asked to leave, you must leave or they can get you for trespassing. That is it. Yes you can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol in Georgia. Also, Georgia is not a "must inform" state. My advice, just keep it concealed and you shouldn't have any problems.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

In Georgia you may open or conceal carry. You may carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. You may not carry in a church, government building, school, jail, polling place (500'), most malls will ask you to leave if the catch you, and you do not have to inform LEOs (but I would, that is just me). Signs carry no weight but you must leave if asked. Some LEOs are cool with carry and some are not, just like most places. If you want to take a look at the new laws go to georgiapacking.org. There is also a lot of good information on the forums.

Sorry, forgot to post the link for you:

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2...text/sb308.htm

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Firearms in interstate reststops were prohibited until this past summer. The recent law changes removed them from the prohibited list, and rightfully so.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks so much for the quick replies. They have been very helpful. GA law sounds very familiar to FL law in many ways.

FYI: Aren't military posts classified as federal property? (same rules apply in post offices etc) You might want to contact the military police at Ft Benning in regards to your firearm questions. They may either check your firearm in or tell you to leave it at your hotel. Military bases may be strict with their handgun rules in lieu of what happened in Ft. Hood. Just a thought. I lived in Ft.Benning a few years back.....real nice there.

Civilians can take weapons into Benning for participation in posted competition events. There is paper work you must fill out before hand and get OK's. You must have everything unloaded and cased including ammo. You are only allowed to go to the competition range and directly back out no stopping to look at the tanks etc.
    All in all your plan to leave it in the hotel safe is the best.

I haven't been on base in quite a few years now but the last time they had turned the check points at the gates over to civilian contractors that were pretty full of themselves as to cutesy but did a good job with the mirrors under the vehicle and all that.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

UPDATE: On the way here I drove on Highway 520. It turns out that 10 miles of Highway 520 run right through the middle of Fort Benning. I didn't realize it until it was too late. I didn't have to go through a checkpoint or anything but I did notice a sign stating that this section of highway is patrolled by MP's. What would have happened if I was pulled over with my Kahr on my hip? I get the feeling it could have been ugly so I kept my speed in check.

Hard to tell. If it were MP's that stopped you and you had reason to be on base they might have cut you some slack. Had it been the civilian contractors my "guess" you would be in jail.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I live in Atlanta, and yes Ga and Fla laws are very similar. mstomb nailed it with that post, couldnt have said it all better myself.
    JP

"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty. "

"Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Links