Texas State University Student Senate Votes to Allow Concealed Carry on Campus

This is a discussion on Texas State University Student Senate Votes to Allow Concealed Carry on Campus within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Texas State University Student Senate has voted to support legislation pending in the Texas Legislature to allow students to carry concealed on campus. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas State University Student Senate Votes to Allow Concealed Carry on Campus

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

The Texas State University Student Senate has voted to support legislation pending in the Texas Legislature to allow students to carry concealed on campus.

It is beginning to look like this bill has a very good chance of passing.

Here is a news report about this development:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2ZnyjnMlA

Very nice! This will be good news for Oklahoma as our laws tend to go hand-in-hand.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

How big us TSU compared to some of the other UT system universities?

VIP Member
    Glad to see they have taken an interest. Hopefully many schools will follow. I'm pretty sure UT will campaign against it, being it's in the only truly liberal democrat city in Texas...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

i hope ohio is paying attention. this seems to be happening alot around that campus.

Student robbed of laptop, cash near UA
    By Beacon Journal staff

POSTED: 12:34 p.m. EST, Dec 01, 2010

An 18-year-old student told police that he was robbed Tuesday near the University of Akron campus by two men who took his backpack containing a cell phone, laptop computer and books.
    The robbery occurred at about 4 p.m. near Allyn and East Exchange streets on the south end of the UA campus.
    The suspects have not been caught.
    The victim told police that the men threatened to kill him if he did not surrender his wallet. The man did and the robbers then took $50 before tossing the wallet back at the man. They fled with the cash and backpack.
    Police said the suspects are two black males, 18 to 22 years old. One wears dreadlocks and stands about 6-foot-1 and weighs about 170 pounds. The second suspect is a bit shorter and wore a black-hooded sweatshirt and black jeans.
    Anyone with information is asked to call Akron police detectives at 330-375-2490. Anonymous tips can be made at http://ci.akron.oh.us/ASP/tip.html.
    An 18-year-old student told police that he was robbed Tuesday near the University of Akron campus by two men who took his backpack containing a cell phone, laptop computer and books.

The robbery occurred at about 4 p.m. near Allyn and East Exchange streets on the south end of the UA campus.

The victim told police that the men threatened to kill him if he did not surrender his wallet. The man did and the robbers then took $50 before tossing the wallet back at the man. They fled with the cash and backpack.

Police said the suspects are two black males, 18 to 22 years old. One wears dreadlocks and stands about 6-foot-1 and weighs about 170 pounds. The second suspect is a bit shorter and wore a black-hooded sweatshirt and black jeans.

Anyone with information is asked to call Akron police detectives at 330-375-2490. Anonymous tips can be made at http://ci.akron.oh.us/ASP/tip.html.

GM
    I am surprised!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Got to love Texas
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

That's good for Texas State University Student Senate BUT........how does that influence Texas legislators to change the current law? Also, is this bill simply de-criminalizing carry on campus, or a UT-like bill SPECIFICALLY allowing it?
    I'm afraid even if it's de-criminalized, the progressives in the university systems will expel anyone caught carrying. Outside of UT, only a select few colleges allow carry at all by its students.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

It should specifically allow it, at least at universities which receive state funds. Private university campuses would be decriminalized, so administrative penalties could still apply. Of course, I am just speculating based on the few places with campus carry.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    i hope ohio is paying attention. this seems to be happening alot around that campus.

By Beacon Journal staff

POSTED: 12:34 p.m. EST, Dec 01, 2010

Umm, if I am reading this right, the BG never presented a weapon, never attacked the victim. They did rob him, strongarm, and there is desparity of force, however, the victim complied and noone was hurt.

Sounds like a good ending to a bad situation. Don't get me wrong, I think that the Vic should have been allowed to carry a firearm, I think everyone should WITH PROPER TRAINING AND EDUCATION, but if he had shot these 2 and they had been unarmed, he would be facing jail time, and the end of his collegate career.

I see nothing in this story, with the exception of words, that placed the Vic in a position where lethal force would be acceptable. AGAIN, I DO THINK HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO CARRY.
    If he had a firearm, or if there was the known potential that he might, the whole situation could have been avoided because the target is no longer worth the risk. $50 aint worth a life after all.

So, the poilcy helped to provide the opportunity to the BG. That can change, but taking a life for a robery of a few dollars is not the answer, proper training, education (I separate the two as I view training as the functional aspect of the firearm and the education as the sharing of knowlege for when it is appropriate to use it) and policy are.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    By Beacon Journal staff

Laptops are a frequent target of criminals on campus. Really upsetting to the students affected too. For laptops are now a necessity in college, and students basically have all of their school work stored on them. So losing a laptop is an absolute disaster for any student.

We had a case early this year of a student at the University of Oregon stealing not one but two laptops from fellow students. The most shocking aspect of the case was that he was the star quarterback of the Oregon Ducks football team. There were eyewitnesses of him leaving the scene of the burglary with the laptops. He made up an alibi to pretend that he was someplace else, but police were able to produce video surveillance evidence that he left the bar long before he said that he did.

Though convicted of burglary, the team actually kept him on, and only suspended him for a couple of games. However, a few weeks later, he was stopped by police while driving erratically. He had no license, as it had been suspended earlier. And police found drugs in the car. The University then finally booted him off the team.

This season, he is now the first string quarterback for Ole Miss.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    Umm, if I am reading this right, the BG never presented a weapon, never attacked the victim. They did rob him, strongarm, and there is desparity of force, however, the victim complied and noone was hurt.

Sounds like a good ending to a bad situation. Don't get me wrong, I think that the Vic should have been allowed to carry a firearm, I think everyone should WITH PROPER TRAINING AND EDUCATION, but if he had shot these 2 and they had been unarmed, he would be facing jail time, and the end of his collegate career.

I see nothing in this story, with the exception of words, that placed the Vic in a position where lethal force would be acceptable. AGAIN, I DO THINK HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO CARRY.
    If he had a firearm, or if there was the known potential that he might, the whole situation could have been avoided because the target is no longer worth the risk. $50 aint worth a life after all.
    Here at the University of Oregon, there is a ZERO TOLERANCE policy regarding firearms.

Possession of a paintball gun or toy water pistol are also strictly banned. Shooting or aiming at someone with a water pistol are actually grounds for expulsion.

The laptop was worth way more than $50. And when students have them stolen, their entire work for that semester can be threatened.

Go Texas...finish this business and you'll have a very good CCW package for your state residence.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My older son's fiance goes to school there. Excellent!!

Texas A&M Galveston student council just followed suit.

Hopefully campus carry and the parking lot bill get through the State Legislature this year. Prayers our way!!!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links