Centre County PA special announcement on license to carry firearm

This is a discussion on Centre County PA special announcement on license to carry firearm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess they will be going up on their license. http://www.dennynau.com/index.php?op...d=29&Itemid=34...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Centre County PA special announcement on license to carry firearm

Centre County PA special announcement on license to carry firearm

I guess they will be going up on their license.

http://www.dennynau.com/index.php?op...d=29&Itemid=34
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like this is directed towards residents of PA. Is this correct?
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

From the current appl. it is still $26.00.
    Certified Glock Armorer

I believe you are correct. They have to physically come in, get their DL scanned and sign the request in person. Sounds strange to me.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    I don't know, it doesn't say.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    I emailed the Sheriff this morning...

Sheriff,
    Concerning your recent update entitled "SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ON LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARM" I have a question. Does this new process apply to non-resident applicants, as well? I am actually planning on sending off my non-resident application today...

Thanks for your time.

Hi John - yes it applies to non residence. We are however still
    processing non resident application.

Happy Trails .....Denny
    Last edited by JPCleary; December 2nd, 2010 at 01:52 PM.
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by JPCleary View Post
    I emailed the Sherrif this morning...

Sheriff,
    Concerning your recent update entitled "SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ON LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARM" I have a question. Does this new process apply to non-resident applicants, as well? I am actually planning on sending off my non-resident application today...

Thanks for your time.

Hi John - yes it applies to non residence. We are however still
    processing non resident application.

Happy Trails .....Denny

I wonder how much the new PA LTC are going to cost? I bet it will be more than $26.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP

I have a PA non-resident license, it doesn't expire for a few years but when it does, does this mean I have to drive to PA and renew it in person?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    I have a PA non-resident license, it doesn't expire for a few years but when it does, does this mean I have to drive to PA and renew it in person?
    Yeap I think so from the email JPCleary got.
    I have a PA non-resident too, I'm going to get a Florida CWP.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP

It's a new computer system with digital photo and digital signature...the scanning of the drivers license is just a quick way to populate the applicant info. In person will be required. One sheriff did say in person would only be required one time...then the pic/sig would be used for each renewal. Not sure how true this is.

The cost will not go up...in fact...it should go down. $5 of the application fee is a temporary fee that was set aside for the last 5 yrs to pay for this new system being implemented now. That temp fee expires early 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by foots402 View Post
    Yeap I think so from the email JPCleary got.
    I have a PA non-resident too, I'm going to get a Florida CWP.
    Go with AZ...it's cheaper than FL and almost identical reciprocity.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    PA Law was actually changed a little over 5 years ago. That is when they were directed to go to the new system and get the digital photo etc. They wrote into the law that no later than May 2011 every issuing office would have to use the new system. They gave them time to get the equipment required to make the plastic licenses with photo and signature on them. Most Sheriffs issued paper permits. Centre County from my understanding will still issue without a visit till at least the 1st of the year and He may go up to the very last minute. That is up to him. But they have to follow the new law May of 2011. So that will mean a trip to apply. They will mail it to you after it is approved. As for renewal with the new permit down the road I am not sure at this time if another trip will be required. Things could change greatly between now and then and we will just have to wait and see.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Does PA require a photo be mailed in currently?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Does PA require a photo be mailed in currently?
    no not currently.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    It's a new computer system with digital photo and digital signature...the scanning of the drivers license is just a quick way to populate the applicant info. In person will be required. One sheriff did say in person would only be required one time...then the pic/sig would be used for each renewal. Not sure how true this is.

The cost will not go up...in fact...it should go down. $5 of the application fee is a temporary fee that was set aside for the last 5 yrs to pay for this new system being implemented now. That temp fee expires early 2011.

Go with AZ...it's cheaper than FL and almost identical reciprocity.

You are right about AZ non-resident CCW $60 FL $117. Call AZ and my 2 application are being mail also I was told within 2 WKS I should have my permit. Thanks.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP

I still don't understand where they're getting the idea that anyone has to apply in person. Maybe I've missed it, but I don't see anything in the law that would require that.

I guess I shouldn't expect too much in the way of reading comprehension, since most PA sheriff's can't seem to understand what the cost for a LTCF is supposed to be, even though it's very clearly stated in statute.

(h) Fee.--
    (1) In addition to fees described in paragraphs (2)(ii) and (3), the fee for a license to carry a firearm is $19. This includes all of the following:
    (i) A renewal notice processing fee of $1.50.
    (ii) An administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the act of July 6, 1984 (P.L. 614, No. 127), [FN2] known as the Sheriff Fee Act.
    (2) (i) The Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency shall implement, within five years of the effective date of this paragraph, a system in conjunction with the Pennsylvania State Police and the Pennsylvania Sheriffs' Association to standardize and modernize the process of issuing licenses to carry firearms. Upon implementation of the system under this paragraph, the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency shall publish notice thereof in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.
    (ii) An additional temporary fee of $5 shall be remitted by the sheriff to the Firearms License to Carry Modernization Account, which is hereby established as a special restricted receipt account within the General Fund of the State Treasury. Moneys and investment income in the account shall be awarded as grants to sheriffs to implement the system, including grants to reimburse sheriffs for expenses incurred prior to the effective date of this paragraph.
    (iii) Moneys credited to the account and any investment income accrued are hereby appropriated on a continuing basis to the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency. The commission shall establish procedures related to the application process for and distribution of funds to sheriffs under this paragraph. Notwithstanding the provisions of subparagraph (ii), the commission may withhold annually an amount not exceeding 5% of the funds credited to the account in that fiscal year for the cost to implement the system under subparagraph (i) and for administrative costs directly related to the responsibilities of the commission under this paragraph.
    (iv) This paragraph shall expire five years after its effective date. Any surplus funds remaining in the account established in subparagraph (ii) at such time shall lapse into the General Fund.
    (3) An additional fee of $1 shall be paid by the applicant for a license to carry a firearm and shall be remitted by the sheriff to the Firearms License Validation System Account, which is hereby established as a special restricted receipt account within the General Fund of the State Treasury. The account shall be used for purposes under subsection (l). Moneys credited to the account and any investment income accrued are hereby appropriated on a continuing basis to the Pennsylvania State Police.
    (4) No fee other than that provided by this subsection or the Sheriff Fee Act may be assessed by the sheriff for the performance of any background check made pursuant to this act.
    (5) The fee is payable to the sheriff to whom the application is submitted and is payable at the time of application for the license.
    (6) Except for the administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the Sheriff Fee Act, all other fees shall be refunded if the application is denied but shall not be refunded if a license is issued and subsequently revoked.
    (7) A person who sells or attempts to sell a license to carry a firearm for a fee in excess of the amounts fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links