Interesting encounter at Wal-mart today...

This is a discussion on Interesting encounter at Wal-mart today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to Wal-mart to do a few things and had an interesting encounter. I've carried open there a thousand times with nothing beyond a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting encounter at Wal-mart today...

Interesting encounter at Wal-mart today...

I went to Wal-mart to do a few things and had an interesting encounter. I've carried open there a thousand times with nothing beyond a few strange looks. I stayed at the store longer than usual because there was a company set up doing free health screens...so I had my blood drawn and stood around waiting for results before I went about my shopping business.

After about 45 minutes, I had made my way to the photo counter and a large gentleman approached me looking like he was on a mission. He said, "Maam, I'm from the 'Asset Protection Department' and I've noticed you are carrying your firearm open. Do you have a license to do that?" I proceeded to tell him that I wasn't required by KY state law to be licensed to carry my pistol open, but if he was concerned, I did have a license to carry it concealed. He said, "Well, do you have a problem with anyone in the store?" I said, absolutely not. He said, "Well, okay. That's all I needed to know." And, he walked away just as quickly as he'd approached.

I'm assuming he'd been watching me on the cameras for quite some time. Maybe a customer was uncomfortable and 'reported me'. Not sure. But I thought it odd that someone in his 'department' wasn't aware that it is not illegal in KY to carry your pistol open. All in all, it was a good opportunity to educate the man and show him that pleasant, respectable women carry firearms too...not just the criminals.
    May the name of Christ be exalted in all things,
    Colleene Barnett
    Keeping the Piece: Ladies Only Concealed Carry and Basic Pistol Training
    www.KeepingthePiece.com
    Looking for a clever gift for the lady shooters in your life?
    http://www.zazzle.com/keepingthepiec...51718878453391

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like he handled his end pretty good also.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

A little odd but it sounds like you both handled it well.

I can only wonder how he would have acted had you been male. Just curious. Wonder if he would have handled it differently. Guess we'll never know that though. You handled it very well I think and he did too, although I believe you're correct. Someone in his position should be aware of the state laws.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Perhaps a complaint was made and he went to "show" he cared. If the incident went as well as it sounds it did then all in all a good deal. Hopefully if it was a complaint, the complainant saw him "speak" to you and leave you alone. Perhaps it got some others to go home and research the laws. It really amazes me at how much I see out and about and come home to look up. Good job on you and the security dude.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

GM
    It sounds to me like he did not really want to bother you, but he had to.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

How many BG's (bad girls) carry openly and use a holster? NONE!!
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

and maybe he did know it wasn't illegal and wanted to see if you knew what you were talking about? fishing? who knows, but sounds like it went ok :)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Sounds about like what I'd do in his position if someone complained and i had to make a show of doing something about it. I don't think he really cared, and he was just trying to make a show of it
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I think you all are right...he was just showing a complaintant that he was 'taking care of their problem'. I agree also that he handled it very well. As long as I've been OCing...this is the first time I've really been approached except those people who always say, "You a cop?" or "Who do you work for?" ;-) It's all an opportunity to educate people about our consitutional rights.
    May the name of Christ be exalted in all things,
    Colleene Barnett
    Keeping the Piece: Ladies Only Concealed Carry and Basic Pistol Training
    www.KeepingthePiece.com
    Looking for a clever gift for the lady shooters in your life?
    http://www.zazzle.com/keepingthepiec...51718878453391

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepingPiece View Post
    "Well, do you have a problem with anyone in the store?"
    Not until now! J/K!

Actually, that's not too bad of an encounter.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure he did know that you did not require a permit, however, that question gave him the opportunity to both guage your knowlege and intention without being combative or imposing. By answering that you did not require a licence, you proved to him that you were infact a law abiding citiczen excercising your rights and not a threat to the store, or it's patrons. In the end he found out what he needed to know and you walked away feeling powerful for it.

Seems to me more like a sly use of 'Verbal Judo' than an uninformed approach to a person who, before any interaction, he did now know the full extent of the intentions of.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "But I thought it odd that someone in his 'department' wasn't aware that it is not illegal in KY to carry your pistol open."

Ignorance of the laws runs rampant,even amongst the circles that should know better. Apparently the situation turned out well and everyone is all the wiser for it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You could have told him you carry a gun to protect your own asset...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    I'm pretty sure he did know that you did not require a permit, however, that question gave him the opportunity to both guage your knowlege and intention without being combative or imposing. By answering that you did not require a licence, you proved to him that you were infact a law abiding citiczen excercising your rights and not a threat to the store, or it's patrons. In the end he found out what he needed to know and you walked away feeling powerful for it.

Seems to me more like a sly use of 'Verbal Judo' than an uninformed approach to a person who, before any interaction, he did now know the full extent of the intentions of.

yes.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links