Can I carry my CCW when I travel from Georgia to Pennsylvania?

This is a discussion on Can I carry my CCW when I travel from Georgia to Pennsylvania? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From my understanding, as long as the state accepts Georgia's Reciprocity then it is ok. While I cross certain states such as Virginia, should I ...

Thread: Can I carry my CCW when I travel from Georgia to Pennsylvania?

From my understanding, as long as the state accepts Georgia's Reciprocity then it is ok. While I cross certain states such as Virginia, should I have the firearme locked up in a case? Any suggestions on what I should do?

http://dps.georgia.gov/00/article/0,...375811,00.html

Joepa, I am from MASS so I can only speak of the Mass Laws. If you are driving from GA to PA and are crossing Virginia, you have to follow Virginia laws. I would call VA and ask them. If you were driving from NY to RI and went through MASS and got stopped in MASS without a MASS permit you are screwed. You could and more than likely would get arrested and it is a minimum mandatory jail sentence in MASS for possession of a firearm with out a MASS License. Do not take people word on it, call VA and ask them. Make sure you write down the person's name and the time you called. Also try and call a number that is recorded so the conversation is recorded, like a police station. You never know what could happen and you might need that recording if you do find yourself jammed up. Good luck.

Virginia is an Open Carry state. You can open carry through Virginia without a permit.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    From my understanding, as long as the state accepts Georgia's Reciprocity then it is ok ...
    That is correct.

Check handgunlaw.us and its reciprocity maps, http://www.handgunlaw.us/ . That is what I will do before driving from FL to PA. I am allowed to CC in Virginia, and then I do not need to worry about the OC laws.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Be careful if you travel through West Virginia on the way to Pennsylvania. GA and WV have no reciprocity so you cannot carry concealed. WV is an open carry state without a permit but I don't recommend it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Also remember that you have to abide by each states carry laws. What the law says in Georgia is irrelevant in NC, or another state, and vice versa.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Also be mindful of the peoples republik of Maryland where you cannot carry except per Federal transport (locked in box outside your reach). If you are going up 81 it is a fairly short distance. If you are going up 95 it is a pretty good distance. Go to handgunlaw.us for your answers.
    Last edited by Armydad; December 4th, 2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: corrected address

I do quite a bit of traveling and only Alaska and Arizona have reciprocity with VT since we don't need a permit to carry concealed. As long as you can legally carry in the state you start in and you can legally carry in the state your going to you can bring your pistol. However that does not mean it will be easy if you get stopped. When I travel through mass to PA I do not make a single stop in Mass as to my understanding that violates the federal transport law. You want the gun locked in a case in the trunk and the ammo locked up somewhere else away from the gun. Not all LEO's know the law and you may run into trouble in places like MD etc.. You may end up getting out of it at the end but at what cost?

I was stopped in Mass one time for an out tail light on my way to PA, I have a pa CHL but mass does not care. He never asked me if I had a gun and he had no reason to search my car he told me my taillight was out and that was it I didn't even think about telling him I had a pistol in the jeep. I nearly crapped myself but that's how it goes. Check out the state laws and If I were you I would keep it locked up in the trunk from the time u leave GA until your in PA.

Sometimes I have to cross NYS and i cannot make it through the state without at least stopping for gas so I do but just be aware. If your not drinking, speeding, or doing something stupid there will be no reason to worry just be smart. Good luck bud.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

No one mentioned SC but they are fairly easy. SC does not honor GA, but you can carry in glovebox or console loaded without a permit.

3D
    Made the trip from Greensboro,NC to Carlisle,PA last week . . . up I-81, then back.

NC=Must inform LE of CCW permit and say if you do or do-not have a gun.
    VA=Not required to inform LE.
    MD=Transport only (unloaded and in locked box or compartment). . . yep, you have to stop, disarm, unload and lock it up - then reverse the process when you cross line into PA.
    PA= Not required to inform LE.
    Last edited by 3D; December 4th, 2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: correct spelling
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Start here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us

And I recommend you check out Georgiapacking.org if you haven't already.

I drove around MD entirely the last time I made that trip. Although WV and GA don't have reciprocity, transport laws have you covered as long as you don't stop. See FOPA 1986, safe passage section.

Caveat: I wouldn't advise relying on FOPA in NYS or NJ, however. Not that either should be on your itin but FYI. There have been recent high profile cases of those states refusing to honor FOPA.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Be careful of MD, DE, and even DC if you're traveling through any of them.

Here is an excellent site with a "planning tool" where you simply click on the states you're carrying through, and the site gives you a detailed report by state on whether your CCW is recognized:

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/packngo/index.php
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

As many people have stated already - http://www.handgunlaw.us is the gold standard for finding out the individual state law details. Good luck and stay vigilant.
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

Sponsored Links