The CCW Killers ??? Violence Policy Center Attacks those who carry concealed- link

The CCW Killers ??? Violence Policy Center Attacks those who carry concealed- link

This is a discussion on The CCW Killers ??? Violence Policy Center Attacks those who carry concealed- link within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Gun Control Advocates at the infamous Violence Policy Institute have created a website designed to make CCW permit holders look like dangerous and unstable ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The CCW Killers ??? Violence Policy Center Attacks those who carry concealed- link

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

The Gun Control Advocates at the infamous Violence Policy Institute have created a website designed to make CCW permit holders look like dangerous and unstable individuals. This is part of their campaign to put an end to the right of people to carry handguns concealed.

Do you think that they will be successful, using this sort of scare tactics on the general public?

Here is a link to their website all about those very dangerous

Concealed Carry Weapons Killers:

http://www.vpc.org/ccwkillers.htm

Question is how many of these private citizens were violent criminals?

Here's from the "Private citizens killed by CCW permit holders" section:

On February 27, 2010, a 10-year-old boy unintentionally shot and killed his older brother, Randy Reddick III, age 11, with his father’s 40-caliber Glock pistol.
    The father had the CCW permit, but his crime was to leave the gun in an unlocked console in his truck. So why is this in the list? The rest are cases of failure to follow the rules of safety (i.e., idiots), domestic love triangles, disputes escalated, bar fights, etc. The main thing, though, is that they seem to have cherry-picked this collection and only came up with 267 incidents.

Here in Florida alone, we have around 650,000 permit holders. Add in all those from other states and you get a percentage here that shows that CCW permit holders are among the most law-abiding people in the nation. Be interesting to the see the number of "Private citizens killed by non CCW permit holders."
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics. Ok, as sad as it is, 9 Law Enforcement Officers Killed by Concealed Handgun Permit Holders (assuming the count is correct). How many LEOs were killed by BG, "Friendly Fire", and non-Concealed Handgun Permit Holders, how many Concealed Permit Holders are there, how many guns are out there, etc.

Until placed in context, the 9 count and the others are just numbers. And when I look at their home page I find The Huffington Post referenced - that tells me a lot.

Did you notice that they only reproted the "numerator?" What is the denominator; how many people inthe US have CCWP's? As an Emergency Physician, I have some pretty strong feelings about guns. I thinkit is important to tell the whole truth; not like a pharmaceutical company advert. E.g. "Lipitor reduces heart attack and stroke risk by 33%" Yeah, from 3 percent to 2 percent absolute. That means that ony one person per hundred gets any benefit from taking it every day for 3 years. What are the absolute percentages of deaths per 100,000 CCWP's??

3D
    You've all hit the points I would make. It will be important for defensive carriers to put this kind of "information"? into proper context and perspective when discussing it with non-CCW people.

Accurate, complete and source-verified information is difficult to obtain on just about everything (politics and religion included!!).
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

I guess I never realized how unstable and dangerous I am. I had planned on going to the grocery store, but I guess now I will just sit at home in the dark and cry.

VIP Member
    Scare tactics work. Sowing fear works. These are well tried and true strategies, as are also telling of whopper-lies, making up incidents, omitting story details, linking two unrelated events and then stating an inference from them which can't logically be derived.

While it makes for interesting discussion here, I invite you all to join me and send them a message letting them know we see thru their lies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    Did you notice that they only reported the "numerator?" What is the denominator; how many people in the US have CCWP's? As an Emergency Physician, I have some pretty strong feelings about guns. I think it is important to tell the whole truth; not like a pharmaceutical company advert. E.g. "Lipitor reduces heart attack and stroke risk by 33%" Yeah, from 3 percent to 2 percent absolute. That means that only one person per hundred gets any benefit from taking it every day for 3 years. What are the absolute percentages of deaths per 100,000 CCWP's??
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    You've all hit the points I would make. It will be important for defensive carriers to put this kind of "information"? into proper context and perspective when discussing it with non-CCW people.

Accurate, complete and source-verified information is difficult to obtain on just about everything (politics and religion included!!).

^^^^^^^^^Here is a good place to start^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=1743

United States Bureau of Justice

Criminal Victimization in the United States, 2007 - Statistical Tables

The VPC is most definitely an anti-firearms organization, designed to eliminate guns.

Notice they have very little if any INFORMATION on "other" kinds of Violence, in America, other than Firearms, here at their home page.

http://www.vpc.org/index.htm

IF they were truly 'all about" violence, all violence in this country, wouldn't they submit information pertaining to those types as well.???

About the only way to possibly find out is to go to your state police website and look in there to find individual stats,

Here is Michigans, http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...654---,00.html

And once there you click on CCW reports;

or Here;;http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...9_307251_7.pdf

and once there it will show the amount of license holders who got into trouble, and for what reason.

License's revoked 353, for June 2008 to June 2009
    Carried in Pistol Free Zone: 1
    Failure to Disclose (2nd Offense): 0
    Carried Under Influence: 14
    Felony or Misdemeanor Charge: 210
    Other: 128

They are buffoons, and idiots, as are all of these organizations.

These morons and their ilk really rub my rhubarb the wrong way.

All we can hope for is that the truth will prevail!!!!!

*"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
    illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
    media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end**.**" Author Unknown

Liberals are like Slinkies…Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

“What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

Get the facts first. You can distort them later. Mark Twain

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. Mark Twain
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I'm going to start a similar site, but warning people of the crimes committed by people who wear blue socks. It's about time we stand up to these blue-socked thugs.

Those with a fanatical belief in their agenda, care little about facts, truth or honesty, only advancing their agenda.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

276? Isn't that like 0.000001% of the US population? And maybe 0.0001% of those who have CWP's in the US? And something like 0.001% of violent crime committed in the US? Sounds like pretty good stats for us.
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by JPCleary View Post
    276? Isn't that like 0.000001% of the US population? And maybe 0.0001% of those who have CWP's in the US? And something like 0.001% of violent crime committed in the US? Sounds like pretty good stats for us.
    I just checked out the details http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/ccwprivatecitizens.pdf of the 276 60%-75% are suicides not violent crimes. I agree if you analyze their data, CWP's look very safe.

It would be interesting to understand the reason(s) behind their agenda. They have to know what they are doing.

Getting a CCW does not make a person more likely to commit violent crime (duh). If anything, the argument can be made that getting a CCW actually influences someone to be more law abiding. But this is all piddly. The facts are that, statistically speaking, CCW'ers are far, far, far more likely to be upstanding, law-abiding citizens.

We see people conniving, sensationalizing, and lying all the time for various reasons.

When people do this about guns it is in a different class for me because:
    - They are trying to deprive people of their natural right of self defense
    - Gun control kills people
    - They know this

This makes them actively evil in my view.

Some people that favor gun control are just ignorant of the facts. These people are not.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links