The Myth that .380acp is ineffective for personal defense. - Page 12

The Myth that .380acp is ineffective for personal defense.

This is a discussion on The Myth that .380acp is ineffective for personal defense. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have two .380's a P3AT and Jiminez (sic) The Kel Tec was my first purchase a while ago 'cause I was going to travel ...

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The Myth that .380acp is ineffective for personal defense.

I have two .380's a P3AT and Jiminez (sic) The Kel Tec was my first purchase a while ago 'cause I was going to travel around the country via a camper and easily concealed. I found out that this size weapon is nasty to fire and has inherent design flaws. The other one is $150. slightly larger a lot more fun to shoot and tenfold more accurate at 30 feet or less.

There are a lot of factors to contend with in the jungle. The most important thing to carry is a magnum load of vigilance.
    Wot part of 'public servant' don't they understand!

+1 to those arguing placement matters most, but I think placement is overstated in the following way. It's not just vital organs, etc. but often the case involves hitting the target at all, especially if the bad guy is running at you, you're stressed out like never before, and likely there is diminished lighting conditions. What matters first is whether it is a weapon you can reliably use to hit the target at all, and then of course ideal placement. I say this because I think too many people obsess about their caliber, but then they're rather average to poor at the range. They're fooling themselves. Often I've found they've never taken a class beyond the CCW, never done a practical pistol or defensive pistol course, etc. That big masculine .45 or snappy .40S&W isn't doing much good when you can't hit the target at all.

In my first practical pistol course on the first shooting exercise I was blown away by how many participants missed the target entirely, left the safety on, etc. That fancy .45 is no good with the safety on, and people who make this mistake are all too common.

A 380 is better carrying than nothing at all.

My girlfriend is looking at a .380 a buddy is selling us (She's small and this dosnt seem or feel bigger then her hand) so she likes it,
    I asked her if she thought it was enough and she said she will shoot for the groin. Dosnt matter how small it is will stop any man. :/
    .380 Tomcat.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by MTBSW View Post
    I have two .380's a P3AT and Jiminez (sic) The Kel Tec was my first purchase a while ago 'cause I was going to travel around the country via a camper and easily concealed. I found out that this size weapon is nasty to fire and has inherent design flaws. The other one is $150. slightly larger a lot more fun to shoot and tenfold more accurate at 30 feet or less.

There are a lot of factors to contend with in the jungle. The most important thing to carry is a magnum load of vigilance.
    May I ask what exactly the Kel-Tec design flaws are?
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

i just traded a kahr cw9 for a smith wesson bodyguard .380. i agree with everybody that 9mm and up is more effective but, seriously, would you volunteer to be shot at point blank range 7 times with buffalo bore .380 100 grain hardcast flat-nose rounds to prove how worthless .380 is? you can even wear 4 layers of denim since that realllllly replicates a real world situation (i thought denim jackets went out in the 80's). i'm guessing there would be no takers.

as a side note, i never carried the cw9 ONCE in the year i owned it despite having and iwb holster for it because, ON MY FRAME, it was both uncomfortable, printed badly and required two hands to draw, one to lift and/or untuck the shirt i was wearing and one to draw the gun, a process that i fumbled many times in practicing speed draws...practice draws that don't replicate the stress involved in an actual altercation.

the .380 gets carried all day long, everyday, effortlessly in a front pocket and i can discretely place my hand on it and be prepared to draw much easier if i get in an uncomfortable situation.

do i rely on the .380 in my car? no, because i have a glove box to conceal a larger gun in. do i rely on the .380 at home? no, because i have about 6 different guns, rifles and shotguns to choose from. am i saying because it works for me, that everything that went into my decision is applicable to you? of course not.

that cw9 sat in my glovebox for a year doing me no good once i stepped out of my vehicle before i finally decided to quit listening to the internet forum experts opinion of what a minimum acceptable caliber is and do what made sense for me.

There was a murder near here recently. Wife shot her husband in the chest with a .380. He died hours later. Yes, a .380 can kill but the point is to stop the threat as fast as possible.

Welcome to the forum, Slacking. I think you'll find that around here there are people in the .380 is just fine camp, and some people in the "if it doesn't start with a 4 it's garbage" camp. Most of us seem to be somewhere in the middle and support people making well thought out decisions based on their own personal experience and requirements (with .380 being at the generally accepted minimum range for self defense).

As they say, the .380 you carry always is infinitely better than the .45 you left at home.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    May I ask what exactly the Kel-Tec design flaws are?
    search on here and google to hear people's gripes

me and a lot of our patrol officers carry keltecs for BUGs and/or off-duty, several narcs and swat carry them in their pockets too
    I've never had issues with it, and after practice hit really well with it, and at $220 not bad deal
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    search on here and google to hear people's gripes

me and a lot of our patrol officers carry keltecs for BUGs and/or off-duty, several narcs and swat carry them in their pockets too
    I've never had issues with it, and after practice hit really well with it, and at $220 not bad deal
    Yes, I've been reading "gripes" for almost a decade now. The first generation feed ramps were a little long which produced "smileys" in FMJ and slightly deformed HP ammo, which worried some about set back and over-pressure issues (none that I've witnessed in my time on KT forums). Other than the old feed ramp deforming HP ammo, non issue to me with a 380, there are no "design flaws". Unless you consider shooter error, those expecting a $250 pistol to not need a few rounds down range to smooth things out a bit, or not bothering to clean lube pistol/mag in the proper manner a design flaw.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

sgb
    people that carry .380's are generally too lazy or uninformed to know better
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    People that carry 1911s are too stuck in the past and don't understand modern technology.

Am I doing it right? We're making rude, unfounded statements, aren't we?
    rhinokrk likes this.

Please keep this thread on target and relevant. No more bashing calibers, it solves nothing.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I hope a 380 is large enough I just bought one. I also have a 40 smith and wesson.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post

Wow! Come on man. Totally uncalled for. I dare say that a .380 placed where a .45 would be, will produce similar results.

Opinions are fine, but just remember. It's just an opinion, not a fact.
    Spade115 and rachilders like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Links