The Myth that .380acp is ineffective for personal defense. - Page 13

The Myth that .380acp is ineffective for personal defense.

This is a discussion on The Myth that .380acp is ineffective for personal defense. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow! Come on man. Totally uncalled for. I dare say that Opinions are fine, but just remember. It's just an opinion, not a fact. [/QUOTE] ...

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The Myth that .380acp is ineffective for personal defense.

Wow! Come on man. Totally uncalled for. I dare say that

Opinions are fine, but just remember. It's just an opinion, not a fact.[/QUOTE]
    Now that is a fact!!!

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Hey I have an idea if your ok with carrying a .380 carry it if not don't! Don't bash those that do at least they carry and thats what I like to hear and see. Just because your not comfortable doesn't mean someone else isn't

Now on to a better topic .45 or 9mm

Just Kidding this thread has died and come back numerous times. Carry whatever you want its your life your choice

Internetarmory.com has a nice compilation of data regarding real world caliber effectiveness. The 380 has a 51% first shot stopping success. 38 special from a 2" barrel 49-67%. 38 special from 4" barrel 51-83%. 9 mill 63-91%. 357 mag 68-96%. 10mm 81-82%. 41 mag 74-89%. 44 special 65-75%. 44 mag 76-90%. 45 ACP 63-94%.

By the way: 22 long rifle 20%. 25 ACP 22-25%. 32 ACP 50-63%. You can go the the site for the rational behind the reporting and some of it may be old now. The spread in the percentages has a lot to do with the choice of ammo withing the particular caliber.

380 rates GOOD as does the 38 special from a 2 inch barrel. Starting with 38 special with 4 inch barrel the rating is very good. Then 9 mm is rated better. 357 SIG, better, 357 mag Best as is .40 Smith. The larger calibers all fall back to Better in this data. 357 mag is the winner.

A few months ago a buddy and I were discussing our next purchases, and he expresed the opinon that .380 is insufficient for SD. I told him "Everybody says that, but no one is willing to take two in the chest to prove it." He bought a Ruger LCP the next week. I also have a .380 EDC now. Hornady Critical Defense helps me sleep at night despite the detractors.

I love my Sig P238. Been experimenting with Buffalo Bore, 95 and 100 gr + P hardcast and FMJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    Internetarmory.com has a nice compilation of data regarding real world caliber effectiveness. The 380 has a 51% first shot stopping success. 38 special from a 2" barrel 49-67%. 38 special from 4" barrel 51-83%. 9 mill 63-91%. 357 mag 68-96%. 10mm 81-82%. 41 mag 74-89%. 44 special 65-75%. 44 mag 76-90%. 45 ACP 63-94%.

By the way: 22 long rifle 20%. 25 ACP 22-25%. 32 ACP 50-63%. You can go the the site for the rational behind the reporting and some of it may be old now. The spread in the percentages has a lot to do with the choice of ammo withing the particular caliber.

380 rates GOOD as does the 38 special from a 2 inch barrel. Starting with 38 special with 4 inch barrel the rating is very good. Then 9 mm is rated better. 357 SIG, better, 357 mag Best as is .40 Smith. The larger calibers all fall back to Better in this data. 357 mag is the winner.
    Interesting: Look at how close the 9mm and .45 numbers are. What, all I said was interesting...
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    ^ what he said.

I like the .380 nuff said
    One more step and it's on!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    If you're so tiny that a .380 is the largest you can carry without the print shouting "I HAVE A GUN!", then you're far more likely to carry it. If this is you, please buy and carry a 380.

If you choose to carry in the workplace you better do some pretty deep concealment, for which mouseguns are ideally suited. If this is you, please buy and carry a 380.

Note: neither of these apply to me (size - by a factor of about four; workplace - the risks to my family of my being out of work FAR outweighs the risks of my being unarmed), but I think these are darned good reasons for someone to consider a 380.

Given a choice I daresay everyone would agree that we would prefer show up to a confrontation with a shotgun - or a platoon. But the concealed carry world is one of tradeoffs. Those who can properly conceal a hand cannon: I salute you! I wish we could all be like you. But for a large number of us this is difficult and we must weigh all of the consideratons of:
    • Caliber (stopping power vs. size vs. controllability)
    • Concealability (given one's size and carry options - can you keep the purse with you, etc.)
    • Dress Code (both corporate and style: cover garments just won't cut it for some folks)
    • Consequenses If Outed (hello, bread line!)
    • Carry Or Leave In The Safe (be real: if it's too much trouble or prints, some will find they don't carry)
    Some, based on valid concerns and cool evaluation of the issues, will come to the conclusion that a 380 is a good choice. It probably is, for them in their circumstances. In no way is their choice any criticism of someone else's choice. (Example: I like a 5-speed transmission, for mileage, durability and fun. A fellow I know lost his right hand - he chooses an automatic. Good choices, each of them for the individual and the circumstances, and neither of us criticises the other for coming to a different conclusion.)
    Paladin3840 likes this.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I started off carrying a Glock 36, then went to a M&P 40c, then to a Smith 642ct...now I am carrying a Bodyguard .380...I switched so much due to the size and comfort. The .38 was great, but this 380 is perfect for daily carry, iwb. I feel like this, no one wants to get shot with anything, therefore 7 rounds from this 380 into someone, properly placed, is going to be plenty stopping power.
    dripster likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BG380 View Post
    I started off carrying a Glock 36, then went to a M&P 40c, then to a Smith 642ct...now I am carrying a Bodyguard .380...I switched so much due to the size and comfort. The .38 was great, but this 380 is perfect for daily carry, iwb. I feel like this, no one wants to get shot with anything, therefore 7 rounds from this 380 into someone, properly placed, is going to be plenty stopping power.
    You still have .32, .25, and .22 calibers to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    lol...no interest in those.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Sorry, was just trying to apply your logic of "size and comfort"...

Sorry, was just trying to apply your logic of "size and comfort"...
    All three have been used successfully for self defense for about 100 years.

Ken

I usually try to stay away from these caliber threads, but just because some of us carry big caliber handguns for self defense doesn't mean you will always get one-shot stops. I personally carry 9mm and .45 for my SD guns. Weather .380, 9mm, .40, .45 whatever you decide to carry, try to keep shooting until the threat is stopped if you can. This also drives home the point of having extra ammo for reloads.

Some of you may have seen this story, but here is a suspect that it took 22 hits from a .40 cal Glock 22, with 17 center mass to stop him.

Officer Down: The Peter Soulis Incident - Below 100 - LawOfficer.com
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

Links