Good .45 Hollowpoints?

This is a discussion on Good .45 Hollowpoints? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; can somebody recommend some descent .45 hollowpoints? I'm not talking about the Critical Defense or Extreme Shock home defense types, just plain hollowpoints, The guys ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good .45 Hollowpoints?

Good .45 Hollowpoints?

can somebody recommend some descent .45 hollowpoints? I'm not talking about the Critical Defense or Extreme Shock home defense types, just plain hollowpoints, The guys at the local gun shop are always pushing the SD rounds, and I'm guilty of buying a box and then thinking "these are way too expensive practice with." and to tell the truth I dont know if they would FTF,FTE or what would happen if I actually needed to shoot a magazine of them.

2. Remove Ads

I like Winchester PDX-1s, or Federal Hydrashocks. But really you need to find one that works reliably in your handgun. Most of my practice is done with FMJ ammo, but I won't carry a JHP round until I have a couple of flawless boxes through my carry gun. Its expensive, but my life is worth it.

What kind of pistol are you using?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Taurus PT1911

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Hornady's XTP Hollowpoint design is proven and quite reliable. You can get it in a wide variety of different weights, and in standard pressure and +P pressure loadings too.

I personally like their 200 gr +P load. But if that is too much recoil for you, just go with the standard 200 gr load. It still has plenty of power too.

Thanks for the info and pics. How much more recoil is there is a +P round?. I dont have any problem with recoil on off the shelf Walmart rounds.

I think any JHP that is reliable in your 45 ACP will serve you well.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    I personally like the Federal 230 gr +P HST rounds. Although they are getting harder to find. You need to try different rounds to see what is going to work the best from your gun. No 2 guns are identical, what functions in one, may not in another. Yes it will cost you some money to find this out, but isn't it better to spend a little now to see what your gun will reliably shoot, than to need it and have it FTF/FTE? Once you have found your defensive carry load, do your practicing with FMJ round.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GM
    Although most of my practice is done with FMJ ammo I also practice with the JHP ammo that I carry, Cor-Bon DPX. And before I carry a gun I shoot a few boxes of it. Why do you want to practice with cheap hollow points that you will not carry?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Like others have said, I pratice with ball ammo. I carry 230grn Gold Dots. You only need to shoot 100/200 rounds of your carry ammo to make sure your gun likes it.
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    I've heard good things about Buffalo Bore. Said to be very powerful and accurate.

VIP Member
    "these are way too expensive practice with." and to tell the truth I dont know if they would FTF,FTE or what would happen if I actually needed to shoot a clip of them.

As has been stated fire 1-200 rounds of ball ammo to break the gun in once that is done you will have to find what the gun likes and feeds reliably. This process can get pricey but done over time it works well. Once the experimenting is done you will then know what to load your magazine with.

Just an opinion
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Price of any round to be used for defense is irrelevant as it must be tested for reliable feeding in your firearm. The standard .45 FMJ has proven to be very effective for SD.

I have both Gold Dots and PDX1 230 grain hollowpoints, both of which have proven to be 100% in both my .45 pistols. No, I don't "practice" with the expensive loads. I use my LRN reloads for practice. My shooting skills don't know the difference between SD and reloads. The point of impact is too insignificant between the two to be a concern for me.

As for .45 bullet weight? The .45ACP was origninally designed to use a 200 grain bullet, upped to 230 at the army's request. I think either would work as effectively in 99% of SD situations. My personal opinion is I want to hit them with the biggest .45 rock I can.

Carry the best SD rounds you can, fire enough to prove reliablility in your gun, hone your skills with cheaper range rounds. Hopefully, that $30 box of 25 SD rounds will last you a lifetime!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    can somebody recommend some descent .45 hollowpoints? I'm not talking about the Critical Defense or Extreme Shock home defense types, just plain hollowpoints, The guys at the local gun shop are always pushing the SD rounds, and I'm guilty of buying a box and then thinking "these are way too expensive practice with." and to tell the truth I dont know if they would FTF,FTE or what would happen if I actually needed to shoot a clip of them.
    The best price I have seen on an HP that "I" think will work (meaning I have carried them for SD) is WW 230 gr. white box Personal Defense from Wally world. No FTF's or FTE's in a PT1911 and quite accurate for the price.
    The next best price I found was PMC Starfire 230 gr. which, at one time was considered very capable as an SD round and no function failures in the PT1911.

My favorite all time .45 load is the Federal 230 gr. Hydrashok. Functioned very well in all of the different .45 pistols I have owned over the years from a Starr PD (which I should never have sold) to Gold Cups. The best balance of power, control and accuracy in a full power factory load "I" ever shot. Starting 2 years ago I had a hard time finding them and switched over to Gold Dots. They are as accurate as the Hydrashok but just don't feel the same to me.
    However these are both fairly expensive rounds and you do need "enough" practice with your chosen SD ammo to know where it hits. Its a decision that each of us has to make.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

TVJ
    I load Corbon DPX
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Without getting technical, I would advocate any 230 grain bullet, in its standard velocity loading. You are not really gaining alot by the +p loadings to make a noticeable difference, and by going lower in weight and going to +p such as the 200 +p , you are robbing from Peter to pay Paul.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links