Local establishment refusing to acknowledge ccw permit. - Page 3

Local establishment refusing to acknowledge ccw permit.

This is a discussion on Local establishment refusing to acknowledge ccw permit. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me? I'd tell everyone good day, and leave the "party" right then and there. Go home, rant a bit and move on....

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Local establishment refusing to acknowledge ccw permit.

Me? I'd tell everyone good day, and leave the "party" right then and there. Go home, rant a bit and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    If it's not posted don't ask, don't tell, and for heaven's sake don't pull out a pigsticker in a public place!
    +1 it's a Concealed carry permit, not a license to use anywhere permit.

Take your business elsewhere. If the owner asks that you leave his property then you no longer have a right to be there. You will get arrested in Georgia if you refuse.

We are not a sign state. Signs don't mean anything. Nor do their absence give you permission to assume any liberty.

BTW -- there are way too many gun friendly establishments in the metro area to press the losing issue. Having said that, I don't know that whipping out a large fixed blade elsewhere wouldn't generate the same response, even if the owner is friendly to gun carry. In the eyes of most people, having a weapon on your person and having a weapon in a public place in your hand are two totally different animals. It may be best to keep it in your sheath, pun intended, unless you are in the company of owners that you personally know.

rifel42, it is NOT a concealed carry permit. It is a Georgia Weapon License, reflecting the laws of our state to open or conceal carry a knife or gun as the licensee so desires.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Maybe its just me, but he shouldn't have brought that knife to a bowling alley to begin with. A seven-inch fixed blade has no place in a public setting, unless he was working in the kitchen.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I don't know the laws in GA at all... But if they're anything like Iowa's, fixed blade knives over a certain length are considered more "weapons" than tools under the law.

So.. a buddy asks you to borrow a knife... You have one that you are only carrying legally (due to its length) concealed; under your CONCEALED CARRY WEAPONS permit. You hand him your knife.

If he needed to borrow a gun, would you have whipped it out and handed it to him in public?

It's common sense, Mr. Dundee.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

OP, are you carrying on a permit from another state by chance? Just asking. Based on your use of a misnomer to refer to the firearm license issued by Georgia and your unfamiliarity with this state's laws as it relates to signage, I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Maybe its just me, but he shouldn't have brought that knife to a bowling alley to begin with. A seven-inch fixed blade has no place in a public setting, unless he was working in the kitchen.
    Well I don't know about that. We Georgians lobbied very actively for several years to allow just that kind of knife carry. Besides, what business do any of us have to tell another man what he should and shouldn't have? Sounds kind of antithetical to liberty if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Well I don't know about that. We Georgians lobbied very actively for several years to allow just that kind of knife carry. Besides, what business do any of us have to tell another man what he should and shouldn't have? Sounds kind of antithetical to liberty if you ask me.
    Well.... hm. I guess I should have said, "I would not carry such a knife." Yeah, you're right. You make a good point; its not my place to tell anyone else what to carry or where.

I wouldn't carry such a tool. I carry a small 2 inch foldable and it hasn't failed me in 20 years. I've cut everything from packing tape, strings, skinning deer, etc.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Moga,i live in Georgia,with a Georgia permit,and was bowling in Georgia.

Oakchas makes no sense whatsoever.There are many many reasons for borrowing a knife.Why the hell would i let someone 'borrow' my gun? If someone needs shooting,im doing it with my own gun,not giving it to someone else.I could understand his concern if i was trying to cut someones throat,but the manager was watching me the whole time.Apparently slicing a pizza is a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Moga,i live in Georgia,with a Georgia permit,and was bowling in Georgia.

Oakchas makes no sense whatsoever.There are many many reasons for borrowing a knife.Why the hell would i let someone 'borrow' my gun? If someone needs shooting,im doing it with my own gun,not giving it to someone else.I could understand his concern if i was trying to cut someones throat,but the manager was watching me the whole time.Apparently slicing a pizza is a crime.
    You were still on private property. And you can slice a pizza with a small Swiss Army knife, not a huge Rambo spectacle.

So now its a spectacle? I guess cutting pizza is a crime,.wow,maybe its illegal to eat it.A knife is a knife,why should i not be able to carry it?

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Well.... hm. I guess I should have said, "I would not carry such a knife." Yeah, you're right. You make a good point; its not my place to tell anyone else what to carry or where.

I wouldn't carry such a tool. I carry a small 2 inch foldable and it hasn't failed me in 20 years. I've cut everything from packing tape, strings, skinning deer, etc.
    I do as well. I am so used to the law as it was before the last amendment to permit weapon carry that I continue to carry folders under three inches. Although I did buck up for a large fixed blade when the law passed, it's not intended for use a defensive weapon but as more a general tool for camping and such.

So now its a spectacle? I guess cutting pizza is a crime,.wow,maybe its illegal to eat it.A knife is a knife,why should i not be able to carry it?
    Its a crime to brandish it, which is what you did.

Senior Moderator
    So i was bowling last night with about 10 friends,and i have a fixed blade with about a 7" blade.Somebody needed to borrow a knife,so i let them have mine.The owner came up and plainly said "You cant have that thing in here." There are no signs outside prohibiting firearms or anything else of the like,so i explain to him.I go to get my permit out and he suggests i put it in my truck,or leave.

I was ccing that night as almost everyone with me is anti-carry.

So the question is,if your carry gun was seen and you were asked to leave,even though there is no sign prohibiting it,would you comply and get lectured by some anti-carry friends,or stand your ground on the basis of your right to carry and the fact that no sign is present preventing you from doing so?
    Once you are asked to leave, failing to do so is a criminal act. In Florida, you would be committing armed trespass, which is a felony.

On the bright side, conviction for armed trespass would prevent you from facing the dilemma again - you'd lose your permit and your right to own firearms.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

So what would be so different about your little folder? You pull it out,you use it for a legal purpose,and put it back.How was i brandishing? You sound like the manager from the other night.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links