Local establishment refusing to acknowledge ccw permit.

This is a discussion on Local establishment refusing to acknowledge ccw permit. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The OP cutting his kid's birthday cake later that same day. :)...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Local establishment refusing to acknowledge ccw permit.

The OP cutting his kid's birthday cake later that same day. :)
    Last edited by Bumper; December 8th, 2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Image removed; host website requesting login and password

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't have any issue with someone using a 7" hunting knife to slice a pizza, and neither should anyone else. It's not like no one has ever walked the streets with a hunting knife hanging on their belt. Back in my hunting days I routinely entered convenience stores, fast food joints, and cafes with my fixed-blade Buck knife on my belt, and no one ever bothered to comment or went running for the law.

I think the issue here is the arguing/debating with the manager over any "rights" to carry it into a private business and whether the manager has the right to ask someone to leave. It should be clear to all, regardless of the reason, that store owners/managers do have the right to ask anyone to leave, and failure to do so risks arrest and charges.

You can yell, "My 2A rights, my 2A rights," till the cows come home, but you'll probably be doing it in cuffs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think Glocksin is taking too much liberty in thinking it is ok or normal to unsheath a 7" blade in a public place let alone a bowling alley and not expect to draw attention and possibly be removed.

Is a mall missing its ninja?
    Guys who do this sort of thing usually do expect to draw attention. That is the point of the exercise. It's interesting how many of them seek the attention and then get irate and outraged at the resulting response from the management.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Guys who do this sort of thing usually do expect to draw attention. That is the point of the exercise. It's interesting how many of them seek the attention and then get irate and outraged at the resulting response from the management.
    That night i was asked by a friend why i had it on.I told him the same thing i told my waitress a few nights before that "It keeps people from wanting to attack me." Yes,i do want to draw attention,but only from would-be attackers.Not many people,drunk or not,want to fight someone with a big knife.I wouldnt.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    Its better just to leave and take your business elsewhere than to start an incident with the business owner...you don't want to get cited with a trespass and have to deal with LEO........

and although i carry regardless of some stupid sign (except places like schools, post offices, etc) the ONLY time i will ever pull out my CCW, even my knife is during a situation where my life is in danger and dont give a damn about what some sign or a business owner thinks!!!!
    In this case I think I would first off consider carrying a less intimidating knife. I always have a keyring knife on my car keys so if somene needed to cut the string off a new pair of bowling shoe I wouldn't produce a 7" blade and give the owner anything to get worked up about. Back 50 years ago it was much more common for all men to be carrying a pocket knife and nobody had a problem with it. Now with the "politically correct additude" of this country someone is bound to freak over a huge knife like that.
    Unfortunatly in Michigan, a CPL applies only to a pistol, and every city can enact their own knife laws. Generally though if it's less than 3" and non locking, non-self opening then you would be OK.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
    ( From an annual contest at Texas A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term. )

VIP Member
    That night i was asked by a friend why i had it on.I told him the same thing i told my waitress a few nights before that "It keeps people from wanting to attack me." Yes,i do want to draw attention,but only from would-be attackers.Not many people,drunk or not,want to fight someone with a big knife.I wouldnt.

Please tell me you do not seriously believe this or think you are intimidating enough to keep a person, who wanted to do you harm, at bay because you are wearing a large knife? People today are not imtimidated by an LEO armed with a shotgun or a soldier with a belt fed 7.62 so what makes you think that the mere sight of a large knife would keep you safe. But wait you carry seven knives so you must be the safest person in your state. How do you carry seven knives and deploy them with only two hands?
    Wait I know you are/were in the Special Forces, Seal, Force Recon Combined Para Rescue Teams where they taught you how to kill with a crazy straw so that with just the sight of you with a knife on your belt no one would dare to attack you.

Old vet I to at sometime in my life during my hunting days had a knife on my belt don't have an issue wearing it during hunting season or say when working in the yard or camping but, wearing it and whipping it in a bowling alley to cut pizza are two different things. He has admitted that he wears it to draw attention so he can "scare the people that want to attack him" come on does he also wear a firearm to scare the bad guys so they won't attack him?

I have heard some stories on here but this guy is getting good. Please Glocksin teach me this skill that you have mastered so that people will not attack me because I am wearing just a knife. I will make sure I practice the whip it out to cut pizza technique next time I go to Chucky Cheese that damn mouse gets on my nerves.

Almost forgot please use the space bar when typing it makes your BS easier to read.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    I'll have to be honest here. That sounds like reasoning you could expect from a pre-adolescent.

...Yes,i do want to draw attention...
    And you did... Mission accomlished... Negative attention... but they say, any publicity is good publicity, I guess...

I would suggest that a CCW badge, pinned prominently on your outer garment would draw attention from would-be attackers as well... perhaps you should get one...

Mindset, mindset, mindset...

As far as my prevous post making no sense... In Iowa for example, a fixed blade knife with a 7" blade is considered a dangerous weapon. To carry one on your person requires a permit to carry weapons, unless engaged in hunting activities... Hunting a slice of pizza in a bowling alley hardly qualifies... Besides, you must get the permission of the landowner before hunting on his property.

Now in GA, which I admitted I do not know the laws of, perhaps they don't consider this a dangerous weapon... And, you can see them routinely placed on mannequins in store windows as the "ultimate accessory" for women this season.

So, you made your fashion statement, you got told to lose it or leave, and you did as you were asked. In the end, no biggie. But you don't have the right to do anything you want, even if legal under the constitution, on another person's private property. You don't have to patronize that bowling alley any more if you don't want to, either.

Go nuts, have fun!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

To me, pulling out a pocket knife vs a 7" fixed blade analogous to talking vs shouting in public.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

So i was bowling last night with about 10 friends,and i have a fixed blade with about a 7" blade.Somebody needed to borrow a knife,so i let them have mine.The owner came up and plainly said "You cant have that thing in here." There are no signs outside prohibiting firearms or anything else of the like,so i explain to him.I go to get my permit out and he suggests i put it in my truck,or leave.

I was ccing that night as almost everyone with me is anti-carry.

So the question is,if your carry gun was seen and you were asked to leave,even though there is no sign prohibiting it,would you comply and get lectured by some anti-carry friends,or stand your ground on the basis of your right to carry and the fact that no sign is present preventing you from doing so?
    IMHO you showed bad judgment. The owner is within his rights to eject you from the property he controls if you don't follow his directive concerning the weapon and it sounds as if he was actually being fairly decent about things. As a permit holder you are charged with "a greater burden of care" by the state and a visit with the DA will get that fact explained and the ramifications that go with it.

Now, be honest with yourself; did producing a 7" fixed blade combat knife in a confined, crowded establishment where "going armed" is most likely not the norm and then debating the owner with "well just hold on there partner I have this card in my wallet that says..." and "you don't have any signs..." demonstrate the " greater burden of care" that you should be exercising as licensed to carry a concealed weapon? All you have done is strengthened his resolve that NO one will carry any weapons in my place.

My comments and a buck something will get you a cup of coffee somewhere, I think...
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I would leave
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Distinguished Member
    IMHO keeping yourself from being a victim is more about how you carry yourself and how aware you are of your surroundings, it's not about how many things on your Batman utility belt or how big your knife is. You are certainly drawing attention to yourself and it's not necessarily in the best way.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Old vet I to at sometime in my life during my hunting days had a knife on my belt don't have an issue wearing it during hunting season or say when working in the yard or camping but, wearing it and whipping it in a bowling alley to cut pizza are two different things. He has admitted that he wears it to draw attention so he can "scare the people that want to attack him" come on does he also wear a firearm to scare the bad guys so they won't attack him?
    During my day, and in the areas I lived, guys with hunting knives on the belt were as commonplace as cellphones hanging on the belt. No one thought twice about it, and it wasn't unusual to see someone pull it out to carve up a steak. No one jumped out of their skin thinking they were about to get carved up. Men commonly carried knives, and that was that.

While I don't agree with OP's motive for carrying a large knife--it's the last thing I'd want to have to use for SD--my concern is more about arguing with a business owner whether or not he has the "right" to wear in in a private business.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

im sorry but i find your question very ignorant and with great disregard to what responsible gun owners are trying to achieve.

think about the 911 call to make you leave would sound....
    "there is a man with a large knife who is refusing to leave my establishment"
    and if you really are from atlanta i think you would be smart enough to avoid fulton county jail like the plague

you claim you live in some ridiculous area of atlanta (im from atlanta, born and raised there) where it is logical to carry 7 knives (source) and carry firearms yet you dont even know the most basic laws regarding concealed carry.

1st if you are on someone elses property and are asked to leave you leave. Its that simple.
    2nd Am I the only one here who doesn't think twice when i see someone carrying a knife? Well I have to admit that is not totally true. I have been know to comment on very nice knives that I have seen and asked where I might get one for myself.

Michael

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links