Local establishment refusing to acknowledge ccw permit.

This is a discussion on Local establishment refusing to acknowledge ccw permit. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i was bowling last night with about 10 friends,and i have a fixed blade with about a 7" blade.Somebody needed to borrow a knife,so ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Local establishment refusing to acknowledge ccw permit.

So i was bowling last night with about 10 friends,and i have a fixed blade with about a 7" blade.Somebody needed to borrow a knife,so i let them have mine.The owner came up and plainly said "You cant have that thing in here." There are no signs outside prohibiting firearms or anything else of the like,so i explain to him.I go to get my permit out and he suggests i put it in my truck,or leave.

I was ccing that night as almost everyone with me is anti-carry.

So the question is,if your carry gun was seen and you were asked to leave,even though there is no sign prohibiting it,would you comply and get lectured by some anti-carry friends,or stand your ground on the basis of your right to carry and the fact that no sign is present preventing you from doing so?

Distinguished Member
    Sign or not, if you stand your ground and refuse to leave you are then trespassing and that will then likely end up with you encountering a LEO.

Comply and leave and avoid a scene and looking unreasonable.

I'm assuming you are in Georgia. If true, then you can answer it yourself by reading the trespass laws.

http://law.onecle.com/georgia/16/16-7-21.html

Chris

Yeah, no need to make it worse.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    The establishment can write their own rules, so to speak. Most states give businesses a way out. Comply and patronize another business. There are enough businesses who want revenue, you should be able to find another place.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Having the permit doesn't allow you to carry there if the owner doesn't want it, it is his business. Failure to leave would be trespass.

Whether or not you choose to patronize his business, however, is your business.

kpw
    Even though signs carry no legal weight here in PA, if asked to leave, you better. Sign or no sign, it's willful trespassing at that point.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    Personally I would just get a smaller knife yours is a bit of overkill.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Basically your CC permit doesn't mean squat on private property. It is only good for keeping you from getting arrested for illegally carrying a concealed weapon. It only keeps the government out of your hair. The owner or manager tells you to leave or get the weapon out of their business, you comply or you become a criminal.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Ah i noticed B3 in the code that was given.Guess next time i should just deal with the lecture,or buy some new friends.

VIP Member
    This sort of thread is a sore point with me. The fact that this issue crops up with some regularity is a pretty strong indication that
    the requirements for classroom time and a written test make good sense.

I doubt there is anyone licensed in my state (well there is always someone who gets slips through) who has gone through the Texas CHL class that doesn't know exactly what signs must be obeyed and that the owner, proprietor, employee thereof, always has the right to ask a patron to not carry inside, and that refusal to leave is trespass.

I actually wish the law was a tad different. I wish that if you hold a CHL and keep it concealed, that it should not be anyone's business, and in a semi-public place like a store, I wish that the license should be honored by law. Basically, I wish it were like that because there are women, and more rarely men, who have more than the usual need to keep themselves armed even when buying books for example.

Anyway, it grates on me when this comes up because the law is pretty much the same all over--- private property owners can post, can ask you to leave etc., and that't that. The license pertains to your relationship with the state that issued it, and not your relationship with the owner of a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    So i was bowling last night with about 10 friends,and i have a fixed blade with about a 7" blade.Somebody needed to borrow a knife,so i let them have mine.The owner came up and plainly said "You cant have that thing in here." There are no signs outside prohibiting firearms or anything else of the like,so i explain to him.I go to get my permit out and he suggests i put it in my truck,or leave.

I was ccing that night as almost everyone with me is anti-carry.

So the question is,if your carry gun was seen and you were asked to leave,even though there is no sign prohibiting it,would you comply and get lectured by some anti-carry friends,or stand your ground on the basis of your right to carry and the fact that no sign is present preventing you from doing so?
    A lot of local businesses have a place page on the internet these days, and possibly a place to post reviews. That's where I'd go and voice my opinions if I were you. The business will find out sooner or later in an email that their reviews have been posted. In a way, it's mutual respect between customer, and business. Businesses should respect your rights, and likewise we should respect their wishes whether or not made specifically with a sign or announcement. We can always argue the facts or the confrontation after we've complied with the mutual respect ordeal at the scene. Making a scene over CCing is the last thing I'd ever want to do in a place of business. Still, things happen when we least expect them to. CC folks have a community of their own, and business owners also have a community of their own. We don't necessarily depend on each other, but there will be a common bond when it gets to the bottom line. This is where both come to a mutual acceptance after the mutual respect aspect has been taken care of.
    Sign or not, if you stand your ground and refuse to leave you are then trespassing and that will then likely end up with you encountering a LEO.

Comply and leave and avoid a scene and looking unreasonable.
    Reasonable...........that's what CC is all about. We're granted the right (I know........contradiction in terms)....under a reasonable assumption that we will be reasonable with our decisions while doing so. Any time you are dissatisfied or feel you've been singled out, there are many sensible tools available to make your point known. If you can't find a way to voice your opinion via internet, then do it by word of mouth. Word of mouth is still one of the best venues businesses either gain or loose patrons. Saturday nights at the bowling alley might never be the same. You might not make a strong impact in a presidential election, but you can make a strong impact close to home. I'm not telling you what you should have or shouldn't have done in your particular circumstance. Merely flagging doors in the hallway you can open at any time. Best of luck, and don't get easily dissuaded.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Beating a dead horse again.

Private businesses have all the rights that a homeowner has--including the right to allow or refuse weapons of any carry manner or type. A business may be open to the public, but it does NOT forfeit that right. To refuse to leave, regardless of lack of any sign banning carrying, is grounds to be arrested for trespass.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Its better just to leave and take your business elsewhere than to start an incident with the business owner...you don't want to get cited with a trespass and have to deal with LEO........

and although i carry regardless of some stupid sign (except places like schools, post offices, etc) the ONLY time i will ever pull out my CCW, even my knife is during a situation where my life is in danger and dont give a damn about what some sign or a business owner thinks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Your "right to carry" ends at the front door of private property. Regardless of signage, when you were verbally notified, you were required to comply or face trespassing charges. The sign is just a warning. It doesn't prevent you, the owner/manager does. That's HIS right to not have weapons on his property.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links