Robbery Suspect Jumps My Neighbor Fence

This is a discussion on Robbery Suspect Jumps My Neighbor Fence within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was out in the yard this morning with out my G37, I heared my neighbor fence rattling which I thought it was her. Come ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robbery Suspect Jumps My Neighbor Fence

I was out in the yard this morning with out my G37, I heared my neighbor fence rattling which I thought it was her. Come to find out that the cops was chasing this robber from the shopping center around the corner from us. He jump her back fence and her front fence and ran into my front yard and ran down the street the cop jump the fence as well he ask me did I see him I told him that he is running down the street. If you all had your gun with you what would you have done?
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Unless the guy threatened me personally, I'd have gotten out of the way and let the cops handle it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Well it would be tempting to draw on him and hold him for the cops, (if you knew the cops were 10 steps behind him that is), or what if you felt in danger, this guy jumping the fence into your yard? hmm.. but Old Vet is right, unless the guy comes at you directly, let him pass and point the cop in the right direction. Since you weren't armed, especially, I guess you had no other choice.

I think you handled it well. Even if you had been armed, that was probably the best thing to do. Be a good witness, unless he came at you.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

If I knew the cops were chasing him I'd have been really tempted to knock him down and slow his escape.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

i probably would have reached for my gun, placing my hand on or near the gun ready to draw but kept it holstered until a direct threat occurs or a weapon is seen. for all you know, the guy could be an unarmed good guy being chased by thugs or fleeing a bad situation.

VIP Member
    If I knew he was being chased by LEOs, I'd get the heck out of the way unless there was a shouted request/order for assistance by the pursuing officer.

I've read of more than one person who found themselves charged with interfering when they actually thought they were assisting. Let the man do his job. You standing there with a gun in hand only confuses the visual picture. Or, you make the tackle and then find out it was a plain clothes officer chasing a third dude you didn't ever see. Leave it be.

Have to agree with Old Vet, unless you or yours is being threatened I'd let him go and not run the risk of being shot yourself by holding a gun when the police show up.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Somebody jumps into my yard with his eyes on an escape route (instead of me or my house) I'm probably going to let that one by.

In order for me to take the initiative I would have to KNOW that he's a fleeing hoodlum who just committed a crime and/or KNOW that he's being chased by police and/or it would have to be apparent that his attention was focused on approaching me or gaining entry to my home... and I would need that information soon enough to take action in a timely manner, not after he's already darted past me. Way too many variables to try playing "helpful citizen"; variables that could lead to disastrous consequences.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Be ready in case he comes for me or my house, and let the police know which way he went if he just passes through without incident.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Since in the situation you described, there was no threat to you, stand back and let him go. The police get paid to chase him down not you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Make like a traffic cop and direct the pursuers.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Somebody jumps into my yard with his eyes on an escape route (instead of me or my house) I'm probably going to let that one by.

In order for me to take the initiative I would have to KNOW that he's a fleeing hoodlum who just committed a crime and/or KNOW that he's being chased by police and/or it would have to be apparent that his attention was focused on approaching me or gaining entry to my home... and I would need that information soon enough to take action in a timely manner, not after he's already darted past me. Way too many variables to try playing "helpful citizen"; variables that could lead to disastrous consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Make like a traffic cop and direct the pursuers.
    Two excellent responses!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

One night, hear a bang outside, dog alerts..... I look out bedroom window and see shadow of a person on my patio...... I grab gun, step out the door ......... and hit them with a light ...... to ask what they think they are doing. It's a local LEO that I know. I asked him what the heck he was doing.... and he said they were chasing some guy and he had just seen him run thru my backyard, and asked if I saw him. I told him "no", didn't hear or see anything, and asked if he needed help finding him ..... He then noticed my gun, and laughed ... saying "well, I'm glad it was you that came out and that you didn't shoot me".

At that point, we heard someone hit against the fence, and off he went after him. They caught him about 1/2 block away.

Never assume to much if someone is running thru your yard, they may be trying to escape after a husband came home and found them with their wife. Beware of the husband.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Pulling out your weapon when you don't need to in a case like this is a bad idea. The cops are chasing after someone who obviously wants to try to get away - and may try anything to try to make sure he gets away. He might have a buddy waiting around the corner, and the cops may think you are that buddy.

Don't interfere, just step out of the way and keep an eye on where he's going in case the cops ask. Be be ready, because who knows what the suspect may do. He pull pull a knife or gun (or maybe just flat strong arm you) to try to force you to take him inside the house and shelter him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

Never assume to much if someone is running thru your yard, they may be trying to escape after a husband came home and found them with their wife. Beware of the husband.
    also good advice

To quote the late great Freddie Prinze:

"Is no my yob, man!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links