Winter Carry and Gloves

This is a discussion on Winter Carry and Gloves within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of your practice your drills and firing wearing gloves you do during the cold months? Did you buy your winter gloves because they ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Carry and Gloves

Winter Carry and Gloves

Do any of your practice your drills and firing wearing gloves you do during the cold months? Did you buy your winter gloves because they fit in your trigger guard nicely and allow you to handle your firearm the best?

I bought a new pair of gloves that are a bit slimmer but still warm and they fit a bit better. But I have not tried them at the range yet
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

I.... actually haven't tried it with my gloves. I need to do that.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Unlike most folks here, I actually have a harder time carrying in the winter. One the bib Carharts come out, my IWB is pretty much shot. I've been kicking around picking up a semi-small revolver for pocket carry.
    And now I have something else to ponder... gloves. I'm wondering if I might not be better off skinning the glove with my off hand on my way to draw, since I typically wear thick ski gloves?

3D
    Timely post!
    Was at indoor the range yesterday . . they blow outside air at the back of our heads to keep 'gunsmoke' moving down range - not into our lungs. It was 20 degree air! The hoodie was great for my head / neck but my un-gloved hands were screamin' after 20 minutes!
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Just bought gloves the other day, to fit my carry pieces. Fits everything except my LCP I carry bigger in the winter most time.

Shooting and winter gloves.
    Best, lightweight cloth. They restrict hand/finger movement the least of any gloves and allow good feel and shooting at virtually the same speed as an ungloved hand.
    Leather, uninsulated or insulated, tight or lose. These are pretty much all the same. They restrict feel and hand/finger movement. You will not be able to shoot near as fast with most any of these, the material bind does not allow for fast finger movement.
    Heavy fleece. These are the worst. In addition to restricting feel and hand/finger movement and speed, they are often thick enough that they do not allow trigger reset.
    At least dry fire test any gloves befor wearing them and counting on being able to shoot with them.
    Attached Images
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I did do dry runs at home recently when the temperature dropped and I pulled a few pairs of gloves out of the closet. Haven't tried at the range. I got lucky in that most of the gloves I already owned seem to work well when I got my permit.

I've also practiced a little bit drawing from extra layers of clothing. And reloads.

I should probably practice a little more.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I hunt alot so most of my gloves fit my firearms if I have on heavy ski gloves (which is never) and I'm accosted by a bg I will politley remove my glove slap him across the face with it and challenge him to a gentlemens' dual. (Just Kidding, I would really run in circles screaming)

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    . I'm wondering if I might not be better off skinning the glove with my off hand on my way to draw, since I typically wear thick ski gloves?
    I've practiced drawing like this a couple of times, but in a case where I can only do a one handed draw the assumption is I dont have my left hand to take my right glove off quickly...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I pretty much do not use gloves most of the time. The only coats that I use gloves with are my leather trenchcoat (w/ leather frisk gloves) and leather coat (w/ leather fingerless gloves). Otherwise, I simply use handwarmers in my jacket pocket for my other coats/jacket. Those gloves that I mentioned wearing, I will use them when combat shooting my handguns at the range. For long gun shooting, I just simply use handwarmers with my Carhart jacket, which I use only for outdoor combat shooting practice.

I bought a pair of leather LEO style duty gloves at my local LEO supply store (I thnk they were the 5.11 brand due to being on sale).

I bought them to use when at the indoor gun range due to being cold (ventilation due to EPA mandates)... they are warm and lightweight.

I decided to carry them with me know in my truck full time and/or buy a second set for my truck (leave first pair in my range bag) for times when I need or want a lightweight pair of gloves... and the ability to handle and shoot my firearm with ease and confidence.

Just check out any of the numerious LEO supply sites (Galls, LA Police Gear, Cops Plus and OMB Express Police Supply). They come in different weights, thicknesses and price points. I went for inexpensive and lightweight for ease of use and for what I originally wanted them for.

Hope this helps.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

The saying "the gloves came off" exists for a reason.

My plan is to remove my gloves, even if I have to rip them off with my teeth.

I have gloves with the finger tips exposed that I use at the range. But for SD, those suckers are coming off!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    I pretty much do not use gloves most of the time. The only coats that I use gloves with are my leather trenchcoat (w/ leather frisk gloves) and leather coat (w/ leather fingerless gloves). Otherwise, I simply use handwarmers in my jacket pocket for my other coats/jacket. Those gloves that I mentioned wearing, I will use them when combat shooting my handguns at the range. For long gun shooting, I just simply use handwarmers with my Carhart jacket, which I use only for outdoor combat shooting practice.
    Agree. The majority of the time I only wear a "liner" glove like UA or Cabelas. If its that cold my hands are in my pockets along with my gun and the liners are more than adequate.
    ...T. Ray

Once in a while and depending on conditions.......I'll wear gloves at the range. Brown jersey gloves 98 pr. My Glocks are rather accepting of the practice, but I've never used any tight fitting gloves for the weather, I'd rather warm my hands in pocket and be more agile when it comes to that. A little bit of suffering could go a long way. All I need to do is be able to manipulate things. Gloves are for the wind and the deer hunt. Those who feel the need for gloves and CC should think more about heated seats in their vehicle IMO. I'm thinking if your ass is warm when you get out of your vehicle you might think of things more clearly. Then again....I could be wrong. What's comfort anyway? Comfort will never keep you above ground. Suffering is an age old concept. California wouldn't exist to this day if it weren't for suffering (tell me I'm wrong). Gloves and carry? Been down to -30 myself no wind chill. How bad can it get?

Gloves, well yeah always. My Isotoners are the best "bang" for the money. The only thing that I have an issue is with finding capes, gogles, and booties to match my onecies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links