LEO Pulled Me Over Last Night @ 1:00 AM!

This is a discussion on LEO Pulled Me Over Last Night @ 1:00 AM! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was on my way home from Louisville (I met my brother & his family to go to the SEC/Big East Invitational Basketball games in ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

I was on my way home from Louisville (I met my brother & his family to go to the SEC/Big East Invitational Basketball games in Freedom Hall). After a 2 hour drive to get back to my hometown, I was fighting to stay awake big time for the last 30 miles or so.

After I pulled off I-65 and was making my way home, I ran a red light. No doubt about it...I ran it. I slowed down enough to turn right at the light but sure didn't stop. At 1:00 in the morning there was no traffic and I was tired so I didn't stop. No traffic except for the headlights to my left several hundred yards down the highway. These headlights closed in on me and got right on my tail and followed me. As I neared home and changed lanes to prepare to turn, the car changed lanes and stayed on my tail. As soon as I turned left off of the highway into my neighborhood, my suspicions were confirmed as blue lights came on in my mirrors!

I immediatley pulled over to the right and stopped. As the officer approached I rolled down the window and made sure that my hands were on the steering wheel in plane view. After he told me why he pulled me over, I stated that I was a legally carrying and had a CCDW license. He asked how many guns I had and where they were (He looked and sounded like he was 21 years old at most!). Now normally I always have one of my Glocks(19, 23, or 36...tonight it was the 23) on my hip and my Kahr PM9 on my jeans pocket. But tonight I also had my S&W 442 in my inside coat pocket. I brought it along to show my brother the CT grips I had on it as he has a 642. I am thinking that this was going to make this young cop think I was some kind of Gun Wacko!

He then told me that he would appreciate if I got out of the car and tell him where the guns were located, and that they (by this time a second car with officer had arrived as backup, but I was not aware of that yet) would take the guns off of me before preceding. He then told me to place my hands on the roof of my Explorer asked again where my weapons were & what kind they were. I told him and he raised up my UK sweatshirt and took my G23 out of my CB Supertuck and handed it to the second officer. That officer then commented on my TFO night sights and then said literally "Oh cool...its pressure activated!" when he squeezed the grip and turned on my CT lasergrip (I have CT products on all three of these firearms).

Then the first officer asked where the next one was. I told him that I had a Kahr PM9 in my front right jeans pocket. He frisked me everywhere else before reaching into my pocket to retrieve the PM9. This was when I was really scared. I was praying that I wouldn't get shot throught the Iliac artery by a nervous and equally scared young cop as he was pulling out my weapon. However, he was very careful and pulled it out still in its Desantis Nemesis holster. He handed it over to the other officer as well. He asked about my third gun and I told him it was in my inside coat pocket. He told me to turn around and I did and opened my coat so that he could easily access the weapon.

After all of this, he then asked if I had any more in the car. I responded no I didn't and they did not search the car. At this point he finally asked for my Driver's license and CCDW license and proof of Insurance. After furnishing these items to him, he told me to please wait outside the car where his partner could watch me. Mind you it is about 18 degrees outside!!!. They apparently ran the serial numbers because he came back to ask where it was on the Kahr. I told him it was on the bottom of the frame but it was covered up by the CT laserguard. I then asked if I could call my wife and tell her where I was. They said okay.

While the first officer was doing all of the checking/calling in info, the second officer and I started talking guns and sports (I was wearing a Royal Blue Nike UK sweatshirt). He asked me about the game and said he was a fan, but he must have been making small talk because he didn't even know that the Cats were playing Notre Dame. About this time one of my neighbors turned in the neighborhood and drove past...GREAT!!

After about 20 minutes of freezing in the cold, the first officer comes back to me and says that they appreciate my cooperation and honesty and were not going to give me a citation. They said that at this time of night they naturally think drunk driver. I told them I don't drink, but that I was pretty sleepy!! They had unloaded all weapons and put the mags/ammo in little ziplock evidence bags. The officer said that if I would open my back hatch, they would place the weapons and ammo back there and told me to wait until they had left before reloading them as they don't like to make a habit of turning their backs on loaded guns. I said no problem and since I was only 2 blocks from home that I would just wait till I got the car in the garage. With that we all said good night to each other and they were off.

All in all the only thing negative about the whole experience was standing in the freezing temperatures, being blinded by bright lights as a neighbor drives by! Oh well, I made it home safe and sound and without a ticket! And the Cats won 72-58 over Notre Dame!! It was a great night afterall!!

P.S. It was a great night overall as the Hogs of Arkansas won their game against Seton Hall despite the lights going out on them twice during the game! I hope John Pelphrey really gets it going down there in Fayetteville again. I long for the battles UK/ARK had in the 90s! WOW! There was some serious basketball games there!! SEC! SEC!
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

I don't agree with them unloading someones weapon who they have already proven to have demonstrated the moral and legal ability to obtain a permit. That always bothers me.

I believe this goes to show, once again, that if you are honest and treat them with respect most times you will get the same in return.

You got a fair deal. Had you not gone through the red light you wouldn't have had to stand in the cold. That's better than a ticket any day.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Why did they think you had stolen the guns?

VIP Member
    Glad you didn't get a ticket. If the cop was really that young, he is probably fresh out of the academy and still doing things as he was taught. He appeared to be completely professional and courteous, which is a good sign. As for unloading your guns, I bet they teach them in the academy to unload firearms, for safety sake, before running serial numbers. All in all it sounds like a good encounter...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Cool

If I stop you for a traffic infraction and there are no other circumstances surrounding the stop and you tell me you are legally armed and have a CCW permit upfront then I will ask you the location of the weapon(s) and ask you where your DL and CCW are located. I will not take you out of your vehicle at this time. I have no reason to. I will ask you to give me your DL and CCW and stay in your vehicle with your hands where I can see them. If I have a backup officer then he is cover and I am contact. He will watch you while I conduct paperwork checks. If that checks out I have no reason to get you out of your vehicle and take your weapon(s) off your person. You failed to stop for a traffic signal at 1:00am and you were not committing a dangeous action since the only other vehicle on the road was me and I was several hundred yards away. I have already checked your registration prior to lighting you up an I know my backup is close by. If there is no other PC then the traffic violation then there is no PC for running the serial numbers of your weapon(s). Twenty minutes for a single traffic infraction and then no citation or warning being issued is far to long a time to detain you. Some other LEO's may disagree with me but this is how I would have handled this traffic stop. In Florida you do not have to disclose that you are legally armed in your vehicle when stopped by LE but is greatly appreciated and goes a long way in my opinion. Just my $.02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

It seems to me that the odds of shooting yourself handling a strange gun are greater than getting shot by a permit holder.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

After all of this, he then asked if I had any more in the car. I responded no I didn't and they did not search the car. At this point he finally asked for my Driver's license and CCDW license and proof of Insurance. After furnishing these items to him, he told me to please wait outside the car where his partner could watch me. Mind you it is about 18 degrees outside!!!. They apparently ran the serial numbers because he came back to ask where it was on the Kahr.
    Once again I am grateful that Georgia has no duty to inform. I don't appreciate being treated like a criminal for engaging in lawful conduct. Nor do I enjoy worrying that I may be shot negligently by an officer unnecessarily handling my tools.

Night driving when drowsy is a crazy dangerous proposition. I'm glad to learn that its only consequence owas having the serials from your legally owned and carried guns run through NCIC.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

To the best of my knowledge (and I have been to the KY State Police website about concealed carry...maybe a better informed CCDW holder from Kentucky could clarify that in another post. Glockman10mm...you out there anywhere?!?) I am not bound by law to inform a LEO that I have my CCDW and if I am carrying. However, based on the circumstances (late at night, on a highway with many restaurants and bars), I assumed that the LEO was going to ask me to get out of the car eventually to assess if I was intoxicated. I tried to put myself in that young officer's position. I personally would like to know if the occupant of the vehicle I just pulled over is a law abiding CCDW holder and if he is packing in that instance. It would put my mind a little more at ease in some respects that I have a man that is honest enough to tell me up front that he is armed, but legally so. I also would not let my guard down as you can't assume that just because someone has a CCDW license that they are not a threat to an officer of the law.

I have been told by coworkers with family members that are KSP officers that I-65 is far to dangerous a highway to travel on without a handgun for protection. Heck, we have had 2 Rest Areas closed down and bulldozed north of us partly because of the economy, but partly because of the drug activity, robberies, etc. that was going on. With family living in Louisville, we make the drive up and down I-65 so much I feel like I could put my car on autopilot. However, last night I had an aid to help me stay awake on the drive home. I found a radio station that had an extended postgame call in show that kept me quite alert and entertained until I got within 30 miles of home and then lost the station. When I stated in the my OP that I wasn't drunk just sleepy, I meant that I wanted to get home to get to bed since I had to get up at 5:30am, not that I was weaving all over the road. I guess my statement of "fighting to stay awake" was too strong. I was just anxious to get home and get to bed.
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

Wouldn't appreciate being subject to having them 'run the serial numbers' just because they felt like it.

Also don't like being told to open your trunk to put your weapons into because that opens you up to having 'given consent' for them to look inside in the process.

Since Kentucky is not a "must inform" state, why even tell them that you are armed? If they are thinking drunk driver, when they approach your car and speak to you through the open window, they can tell (smell) if you've been drinking. They usually will ask you a few questions, one of them being where are you coming from and where are you going. I'm sure when you told them from the game and home, and since they couldn't smell any booze, I kinda doubt they would have pulled you out of the car.

I just don't see why everyone informs when not required. Sure there "may" come a point in the stop that you may decide, well, I'd better let him know I have a permit and am armed. But if he doesn't ask, has my driver license and insurance, as long as he's not asking me to step out and he's either going to cite me or not, then why bring it up and possibly subject yourself to standing in the cold for 20 minutes, or ending up spread eagle on the ground, or even worse. I've read plenty of other stories on forums where someone informed when they didn't need to, and if they hadn't, they would most likely "not" have been subjected to the harassment they did.

Just my opinion.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Let me just say that this is not my first time at the "being pulled over by the Police" rodeo! On several other occasions since I have had my CCDW license (October, 1996) I have been pulled over for traffic stops (I have been told by my wife that I have a lead foot!), and this is the first in which I thought the circumstances warranted me telling the officer of my carrying status. All of the other stops have been with family members with me and or in broad daylight.

Let me end by saying this...all of the other stops ended with me paying fines, going to traffic school, or both. This was the only time I informed the officer and this is the only time in my 33 years of driving that when pulled over by the police, I did not receive a citation!! Coincidence? or not? Food for thought.

It should be common practice for anyone to unload a gun before handling it or turning it over to someone else. Three guns! He must have thought you were a nut.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Maybe it was referred to in all the previous replies etc but if I were an LEO and I am told that the driver has not one, not two but three firearms on him, I somehow think I would be considerably worried about my safety regardless of your CCW permit and anything else in the law when it relates to the stopping of a vehicle at 1:00AM that has run a red light is weaving around on the road. I think these LEOs acted well but I do agree that you were always innocent of any wrongdoing and they could have at least gotten you out of the cold and into your car or their car, consistent with them being comfortable with your location. Glad all went well and probably a lesson learned about pushing the envelope on your physical condition and driving.

Gaz
    I've been pulled over 3 times for speeding in the last 5 years (always in Texas). In each case I was armed and notified the officer (required in TX). I've never been disarmed, usually they just ask where the gun is located and then don't worry about it after that. In one case I was asked what I was carrying, which turned into a long conversation about our mutual love of firearms.

Generally I'm in the school of thought that you want to minimize any statements to the police. Most of them are outstanding, but there are too many stories of things going the wrong way because of misunderstood or intentionally misinterpreted statements.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links